Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates -- salary/benefit package -- at Sultan Qaboos U.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
123jai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Updates -- salary/benefit package -- at Sultan Qaboos U. Reply with quote

Thanks to anyone with information. I'm wondering what the present-day salary/salary range would be at the Language Center at Sultan Qaboos. (What I've found here dates from 2006-07.) Is housing provided or a housing allowance? And if it's a package, does this includes flights, insurance and transportation? Thanks again, jai
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to a couple of your questions can be found on the Language Centre's webpage (http://www.squ.edu.om/tabid/9533/language/en-US/Default.aspx). Their employment ad also states the following:

1. Due to the large number of applications and the limited vacancies, we only accept applications from:

- Candidates who are available in Oman.
    - Candidates attending TESOL Arabia Conference, UAE (March 14 � 16, 2013) or TESOL Convention, USA (March 20 � 23, 2013).
    Note that candidates will have to be available for an interview during the conference.
2. All CV�s, applications and relevant degrees must be in the English language.

All other applications will not be considered at this stage.
123jai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: So any ideas as to the "attractive tax-free basic salar Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I guess my only question left at present would be the figure of the attractive tax-free basic salary.

"Apart from an attractive tax-free basic salary, the University provides...."

jai
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not get a range. Frankly, I have no clue as to what my teaching colleagues earn. They represent diverse nationalities with varying academic degrees and teaching experience; some teachers are local hires while others were hired from abroad. Additionally, it's not unusual for employers to calculate salary solely based on teaching experience gained post-TEFL cert or grad degree. Ditto to only considering prior experience that's been verified in writing. As such, each job candidate's salary is determined on an individual basis. This is why you see employment ads stating "attractive" or "competitive" salary.

Your best bet is to apply and see what you're worth if offered a position. But if money is your top priority, the UAE, Kuwait, and KSA pay more than Oman.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQU provides furnished housing - nearly always off campus nowadays. It includes flights, gratuity, medical care (major teaching hospital on campus), and various allowances - the usual Gulf package.

The salary on offer is more than the smaller colleges out in the hinterlands, but will be less than the rest of the Gulf.

Since SQU is the top employer in the country, it is very competitive. They don't hire large numbers and getting in there isn't easy.

VS
123jai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: SQU salaries Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses. Yes, I�ve worked around the Gulf and am pretty much familiar with salary ranges. I understand that Omani schools such as the Technical Colleges, Sohar, etc., pay a good bit less than the usual in the UAE, the KSA and elsewhere. I�m just wondering if �an attractive, tax-free base salary� of about 1400 Omani rials per month would be a reasonable expectation at SQU?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've touched base with some friends there to see what they think. Like many in the Gulf, they don't want to make public posts.

VS
123jai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: SQU - 1400, 1500 maybe 1600 possible? Reply with quote

Thank you, I do appreciate it. The only reason I'd want to attend the TESOL thing in Dubai is because I'd be interested in teaching at SQU. However, if I've got to take too big of a cut in salary to do so.... Well, it'll take real some deliberation.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I got a response. If you have a related MA and a few years of related experience - especially university level in the Gulf - you could get that amount including all your "allowances." SQU has lots of allowances these days because of their desire to not touch "base salary" as that is what the gratuity is based on. (not uncommon as you probably know) That number doesn't include tickets, furnished housing, or medical.

Good Luck!

VS
123jai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Shoukrane Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. Thanks so much for checking and for your good wishes, too. All the best to you, jai.
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQU's Language Centre is well worth the lower salary, according to a number of teachers who have left higher paying jobs elsewhere in the Gulf to come and work here.

I've been here for nearly one year and truly doubt I'll ever work anywhere else in the Gulf. This is a very nice work environoment and from what I hear, the students here are much more enjoyable to teach than students in other universities in Oman, or in other Gulf countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: