Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idiomas Linguistics Vs ICI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiddenninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Idiomas Linguistics Vs ICI Reply with quote

I have an interview at Idiomas Linguistics and ICI....any experiences with these schools? Any advice?

Last edited by hiddenninja on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What city are you in? If you are in Mexico City I have a couple of ideas for you.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Idiomas Linguistics Vs ICI Reply with quote

hiddenninja wrote:
I have an interview at Idiomas Linguistics and ICI....any experiences with these schools? Any advice?

Sounds like business EFL... If so, be very weary and get everything in writing. Many, if not most of the so-called business EFL "schools" are just some shoe-string operation being run off of a day planner, business cards, a laptop and a prepaid cell phone.

Ask for a contract, get everything in writing and even then take it all with a large grain of proverbial salt Shocked
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Idiomas Linguistics Vs ICI Reply with quote

hiddenninja wrote:

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Sounds like business EFL... If so, be very weary and get everything in writing. Many, if not most of the so-called business EFL "schools" are just some shoe-string operation being run off of a day planner, business cards, a laptop and a prepaid cell phone.

Ask for a contract, get everything in writing and even then take it all with a large grain of proverbial salt Shocked

Great advice and incredible insight Prof. Gringo. Thanks as always.
J Sevigny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at ICI back in the day. Their major client was Hewlett Packard, way out on the Pereferico. I imagine that may have changed some since HP has cut back so drastically (but I don't know). Pay was decent although not always on time. It wasn't run on a shoestring by any means. They were bringing in big bucks, but it was money, rather than education, that the owner was most interested in. It's like any other business EFL school. If you get a lot of hours you can make very good money. If not, you might starve to death, or end up living on the street and bathing in the fountains along Plaza Tapatio. Not a terrible experience for me, but I would bet that things have changed.
J Sevigny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little change from my last post on ICI. While applying for another job the institute just gave me a very bad and very dishonest reference. I believe this is due to difficulties I had with the owner. My advice about working at ICI remains the same as in my previous post. When I was there many hours were offered and pay was good. But I wanted to mention what appears to be a bit of "vindictive referencing" against me. Always a risk with employers of all kinds, but I don't appreciate the dishonesty.
katedana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: ICI changes since 2006? Reply with quote

Posting in a 6 year old thread... wondering if anyone has had recent (2011 to now) experience with ICI in Guadalajara? They still seem to be working with Business English gigs vs. schools. Any insights, etc are appreciated. Thanks!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ICI changes since 2006? Reply with quote

katedana wrote:
Posting in a 6 year old thread... wondering if anyone has had recent (2011 to now) experience with ICI in Guadalajara? They still seem to be working with Business English gigs vs. schools. Any insights, etc are appreciated. Thanks!

Your calendar is a bit off. This thread was started in January 2012.
katedana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ICI changes since 2006? Reply with quote

Your calendar is a bit off. This thread was started in January 2012.[/quote]

You're correct, it appears I was looking at another user's join date. Now that this is clarified, anyone....any experience? THANK YOU
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Idiomas Linguistics Vs ICI Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
hiddenninja wrote:

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Great advice and incredible insight Prof. Gringo. Thanks as always.

Glad to be of service to the EFL community in Mexico Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: