Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Korea to Russia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VTsoi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: From Korea to Russia Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm currently teaching near Seoul, SK and am about to finish my yearlong contract. After a month or two back at home, I hope to teach in Russia.

I majored in Russian (though I suck at it) have a year teaching experience in Korea, and а 100 hour TESOL certification. I know the latter two qualifications aren't a big deal outside of Asia but I was wondering if they'd be worth anything at all in Russia in terms of salary or the types of positions open to me. Am I still most likely gonna be at a McSchool?

I know its quite different from Korea. I'm not planning on making much money though I hope to at least break even. I also want to avoid an expat bubble as a large part of my goal is to force myself to use and become fluent in Russian.

I was hoping on teaching in Kazan due to the fact that its a decent city with a bit of a multicultural vibe thanks to its large Tatar population. Anyone taught there/ aware of jobs or opportunities in that area?

Barring that, any other recommendations for cities aside from Moscow or St. Petersburg where there's a decent bit of culture/ university/ music scene?

Any other information on what to expect or prepare for would be more than welcome.

Спасибо!
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Vladivostok. PM me if this prospect interests you.
VTsoi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one's taught in Kazan? No one's been to Kazan?
adey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Kazan at the beginning of Jan for a few days, not teaching.
Not sure what you want to know or if I know it?
VTsoi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your general impression of the city? Did it seem like there was a market for English there?
adey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are only lazy sense impressions as I was only there 4 days.

Kazan is a University town with a couple of prestigious faculties (Lenin & Tolstoy both studied there). Although it fell into disrepair in the 90's there is a drive to rebuild the civic infrastructure. The wind from the Volga & Kazanka rivers gives a freezing blast almost everywhere you go.

On the cultural front, I enjoyed a Nicolai Fechin exhibition, there is a rich cultural heritage to Kazan and many events on during the year including an International Opera Festival on right now. The Tartar food is good warming stodge, if you are familiar with English short crust pastry & pies then you'll understand what I mean.

There are plenty of high end German 4X4's driving around and it feels like a wealthy provinicial city boasting the usual array of international outlets. As it's been awarded football World Cup fixtures and the Student games I imagine there will be a push to learn more English.

A part from those glib observations I can't think of what else to say.
VTsoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks adey.

Does anyone know whether I'd be able to find a non-mcschool job with my qualifications?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year in Korea plus a 100 hour TESOL cert = McSchool, I'm pretty sure. Was your cert on site, and did it include actual teaching practice with students?

Your grasp of Russian is probably more valuable.
VTsoi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Depends on what you mean by on-site. It was done in a real classroom (not internet) and we spent 15-25 hours (forget which) doing actual teaching (though it was to other members of the class rather than other students.

I'm guessing still, mcschool huh?
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure what's wrong with "McSchools". They are a great place to start in Russia, as they tend to pay pretty well and take care of visas and other issues. In fact, I think I saw on this site that EF is paying 60K for EFL teachers in Kazan. I mean, you could definitely do worse in Russia, that's for sure.
The vast majority of great opportunities in Russia are found after staying here some time. Word-of-mouth and face-to-face contact are both extremely important; McSchools can be great for increasing both of those.
Otherwise, you could probably get on the ground and find some university work, although that usually pays less (and generally far less than 60K).
Good luck.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here: http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=24988
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that employees in Russia were entitled to 28 days holiday a year, but EF is only advertising 21 here. Do the 28 days include public holidays, or am I simply mistaken? But that looks like a decent position depending on how many hours they expect you to work every week.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who says culture and the music scene are restricted to Moscow and St Petersburg (except the citizens of those cities)? Consider Akademgorodok, near Novosibirsk, or N. itself.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithrn19833,
While I worked for EF, I had a grand total of 5 days of holidays over the course of the contract, which was allowed because I was a contract worker. If you are a permanent worker, you are supposed to get the full 28 (36 in Vladivostok) days of holidays. At least that's how I understood it.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part-time worker, full-time worker. Makes no difference. None of this is relevant to your rights in Russia. Your visa will make no mention of this status. Schools like EF just make up their own 'rules' as they go along. They would never survive a legal challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: