Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Globe Trekker 2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare? Reply with quote

I have worked in Tokyo, so I know how living in that city works. But I am wondering how Taipei (or Taiwan in general) compares. Anyone out there who has taught in both places have some opinions they could share?

Taiwan looks like it has a greater diversity of food (and more delicious). I am told that the people are friendlier than Japanese people. Beyond this, I have no idea.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare? Reply with quote

Globe Trekker 2012 wrote:
I have worked in Tokyo, so I know how living in that city works. But I am wondering how Taipei (or Taiwan in general) compares. Anyone out there who has taught in both places have some opinions they could share?
You're not going to find many people who have taught in both Tokyo and Taipei.

However, I have taught in both Taiwan (Kaohsiung City and County) and Japan (Yokkaichi City).

Quote:
Taiwan looks like it has a greater diversity of food (and more delicious).
Both countries have lots of diversity in food. Where I live in Japan, I have the following within walking distance:
- Prakriti, an Indian/Nepali restaurant
- Tougarashi, a Korean restaurant
- A Tex-Mex place
- A Brazilian supermarket
- Italian places
- Chinese places
- And of course, tons of Sukiya, Matsuya, etc.

So I really don't know what you mean by Taiwan having a "greater diversity of food."

Taiwan has plenty of diversity in food, too. In Taiwan, I was also able to get Korean, Chinese (of course), Japanese, etc. Mexican/Indian/etc. is also available, but as I recall, a tad harder to find than in Japan. I would actually say that Japan has a *slightly* better diversity of food, not Taiwan, but both countries are pretty good on that front.

Taiwanese food is much cheaper. But your salary will also be much lower than your salary would be in Japan, which basically offsets it. In Taiwan, $2,000 (45,000 - 60,000 NTD) a month is a standard salary. In Japan, $3,000+ (250,000 yen a month) is a standard salary. I'll take an extra grand every month over cheap food any day!

Quote:
I am told that the people are friendlier than Japanese people. Beyond this, I have no idea.
Well, yes and no.

In Japan, people are generally polite, but not outgoing. They will bow and smile and use keigo with you, but not make much in the way of attempts to befriend you.

In Taiwan, people can be extremely rude (children constantly pointing and saying "FOREIGNER! FOREIGNER! FOREIGNER!" right within earshot of you, among other rude things that you likely won't understand unless someone translates for you). This happens in Japan occasionally, but at a much, much lower frequency. HOWEVER, Taiwanese are also much more outgoing, and you'll be much more likely to make local friends there.

So...which country has "friendlier" people is up for debate. Japanese are certainly more polite/considerate/orderly than Taiwanese, but Taiwanese are much more outgoing, in my experience.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare? Reply with quote

Rooster_2006 wrote:
You're not going to find many people who have taught in both Tokyo and Taipei.

However, I have taught in both Taiwan (Kaohsiung City and County) and Japan (Yokkaichi City).

Both countries have lots of diversity in food. Where I live in Japan, I have the following within walking distance:

- Prakriti, an Indian/Nepali restaurant
- Tougarashi, a Korean restaurant
- A Tex-Mex place
- A Brazilian supermarket
- Italian places
- Chinese places
- And of course, tons of Sukiya, Matsuya, etc.

So I really don't know what you mean by Taiwan having a "greater diversity of food."

Taiwan has plenty of diversity in food, too. In Taiwan, I was also able to get Korean, Chinese (of course), Japanese, etc. Mexican/Indian/etc. is also available, but as I recall, a tad harder to find than in Japan. I would actually say that Japan has a *slightly* better diversity of food, not Taiwan, but both countries are pretty good on that front.

Taiwanese food is much cheaper. But your salary will also be much lower than your salary would be in Japan, which basically offsets it. In Taiwan, $2,000 (45,000 - 60,000 NTD) a month is a standard salary. In Japan, $3,000+ (250,000 yen a month) is a standard salary. I'll take an extra grand every month over cheap food any day!

In Japan, people are generally polite, but not outgoing. They will bow and smile and use keigo with you, but not make much in the way of attempts to befriend you.

In Taiwan, people can be extremely rude (children constantly pointing and saying "FOREIGNER! FOREIGNER! FOREIGNER!" right within earshot of you, among other rude things that you likely won't understand unless someone translates for you). This happens in Japan occasionally, but at a much, much lower frequency. HOWEVER, Taiwanese are also much more outgoing, and you'll be much more likely to make local friends there.

So...which country has "friendlier" people is up for debate. Japanese are certainly more polite/considerate/orderly than Taiwanese, but Taiwanese are much more outgoing, in my experience.

Rooster nailed it again!

This is a good but general description of what the main differences are between Taiwan and Japan from a TEFL'ers point of view.

I agree with everyone Rooster said and have made the same observations after living and teaching in both countries.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare? Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
Rooster nailed it again!

This is a good but general description of what the main differences are between Taiwan and Japan from a TEFL'ers point of view.

I agree with everyone Rooster said and have made the same observations after living and teaching in both countries.
Thanks!

How long have you been in Vietnam? How's the teaching there going?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwan (Taipei) VS Japan (Tokyo) How do they compare? Reply with quote

Rooster_2006 wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:
Rooster nailed it again!

Thanks!

How long have you been in Vietnam? How's the teaching there going?

Good, I actually left and am travelling again.

In fact, I'm looking at Taiwan or Japan again!

Hope all is going well for you in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: