Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to get post MA TESOL experience without BA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Where to get post MA TESOL experience without BA? Reply with quote

I've heard that a couple of years of relevant post-MA experience is usually necessary for the better positions in the ME.

I've heard Korea and Taiwan mentioned, though I've also heard that they require a BA (despite the MA). Any other options?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is confusing because you refer to SK and Taiwan on a forum for the Mid East. Who are "they" and what specifically are you asking about in terms of "other options?"
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant that Taiwan and SK are recommended destinations to gain experience prior to an MA TESOL. This would be experience used for better jobs in the Middle-East.

However, if one wasn't able to work in Taiwan or SK, where else might be a good place to gain experience before setting off to the ME?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some background info on yourself (i.e., education level, CELTA/TEFL cert, & teaching experience) would be helpful. Also, why are SK and Taiwan a no-go for gaining experience?
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a 29 year old Canadian with 7 years of teaching experience in Vietnam (mostly at the primary level, though with some kindergarten and high school experience...along with some IELTS teaching and testing experience).

I have a TEFL certificate through Oxford seminars (not exactly cream of the crop), and an IELTS certificate through the British Council (worth mentioning I suppose).

The reason why I'm (somewhat) dismissing Taiwan and SK is because (from what I've heard) they require an undergraduate degree (which I lack) despite post-graduate qualifications. There have been a few conflicting arguments to this, but generally this seems to be the case.

I'm currently doing an MA TESOL through Nottingham University, flying in once every three months from Vietnam to do so (so it's technically an on-campus degree).
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if your options for gaining specific, post-grad experience is limited because you've chosen a non-traditional route in terms of your education. Sometimes the quickest path isn't the best route. Ironically, your job opportunities would be better if you'd simply completed a BA and a CELTA. But what's done is done since you're presently in your MA TESOL program. (I assume you're flying back and forth from Vietnam to the university's Malaysia campus.)

Because your situation is not the norm, I don't have any suggestions for you other than to be proactive and do some thorough and direct research and follow up on your own instead of relying on what you've "heard" from others. Use the Internet to research visa and educational requirements for the countries you want to teach in. Also, email the appropriate education authorities in those countries, while keeping in mind there's no guarantee you'll get the answer you want or even a response at all. Lastly, be aware that even if you qualify to legally teach in a particular country, some potential employers may not accept your grad degree due to the lack of a BA---others might even find it suspect.

Hopefully other posters on this forum will have definitive answers that will get you closer to your TEFL goals. Good luck.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I haven't been that pro-active as of yet (besides posting here), as I'm into my first module for this MA TESOL and have a long ways to go. I am very curious though, and would love some more feedback from anyone having some direct knowledge of the subject.

I think whether or not a BA + CELTA is more useful than an MA + CELTA would have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. I emailed the British Council in Hong Kong a while back, and they mentioned that the MA would bypass the first degree requirement without any difficulty. Taiwan and Korea are the only two countries (to my knowledge) where my lack of a BA might be an issue.

For me, I'm willing to take the risk. I'd rather study part-time for two years (while doing a teaching related degree) while, than doing so for 5 years earning something non-related.

Thanks for the feedback.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been posted here that Saudi requires a first degree, but that is hearsay. The Middle East tends to be obsessed with the bits of academic paper which we all must provide to get the visas. If you get to the interview stage with any Gulf employers, I would make the situation clear in case it will be a problem.

VS
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've heard mixed things about Saudi. Have heard that I should be okay in UAE though.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know nuffink.

However in my experience, a lot of jobs and recruitment sites/agencies ask for your highest qual. So, he/she who dares wins. Post MA experience is a dream for employers that is often unrequited.

Good luck!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally know two teachers with MA TESL/TEFL but no BAs who taught on very good contracts for 3-year stints in the region - it was a few years ago and I've no idea to what extent it's common or allowed. May well be on a case-by-case basis? But not without precedent, for what little that may be worth!
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Even though I'm sure there will be issues with some companies, it's encouraging to hear some of your feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: