Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: query Reply with quote

I have a question for those TEFL teachers in Oceana-

namely if given the instructions by the school administrators to include in your lesson plan, readings from the culture of your host countries what would you include? I am seeking a short list of songs, poetry, literary readings that would give a small sample of the cultural interests of various countires around the globe. I am particularly interest in any reading/speaking material from Australia and NZ to add to my own lesson plans.
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking up lists of writers and choose a few works from that. These are some of the most well-known NZ writers/ poets:

James. K. Baxter, Katherine Mansfield, Janet Frame, Margaret Mahy (children�s books including �Kaitangata Twitch� which was made into a TV programme), Sam Hunt, Patricia Grace, Hone Tuwhare and Witi Ihimaera (who wrote �The Whale Rider� also made into a film).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Zealand_writers
colly64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could see what is taught in the schools & adapt.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that no schools or colleagues teach the culture of English speaking countries other than England if it is a British textbook, or the USA if American.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find some NZ resources (developed for teaching migrants) here. It includes some materials on Waitangi Day, which is today. There are some free lesson materials on global themes at the MacMillan Global website, including a couple with a NZ theme (eg Matariki which I wrote for them last year). Global might be worth considering if you are looking for a text book which doesn't focus mainly on Anglo-American culture. As for other aspects of NZ culture, lists etc can be found on Wikipedia etc. Some interesting NZ songs include 'Welcome Home' (Dave Dobyn), 'Love, Love, Love' (Avalanche City), 'Four Seasons in One Day' (Crowded House), 'Po Karekare Ano' (trad.), including Hayley Westenra), 'Now is the hour/ Po Atarau' (trad.), 'Hope' (Fat Freddy's Drop), 'Always on my mind' (Tiki Taane), 'Sway' (Bic Runga), 'Sun goes down' (Nesian Mystic), 'One day' (Opshop) etc ... You can have a look at a popular collection here

Martin McMorrow, Auckland, NZ
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months ago gearonson wrote:

I am particularly interest in any reading/speaking material from Australia and NZ to add to my own lesson plans.

There were a couple of replies, including my one above, with various suggestions about NZ materials.

Was this what you were looking for? Were you able to add them to your lesson plans?

Martin McMorrow, Auckland, New Zealand
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The point is that no schools or colleagues teach the culture of English speaking countries other than England if it is a British textbook, or the USA if American.

Actually programmes taught in Anglophone countries usually do include a cultural component.

There are lots of Canadian textbooks (used primarily - or perhaps exclusively - in the country) that have a strong focus on Canadian culture and society.

I have even seen Dutch culture as a component of English-language materials used in pre-university courses in the Netherlands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: