Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TATI Hiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: TATI Hiring Reply with quote

I see TATI are advertising. Does anyone have information or is working for them. Do they give family status (usual benefits) Are they good to work for?

Many thanks in advance.

Mr K

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TATI is one of the five recruiting companies working for the Ministry of Manpower. Honestly, all of the companies are very similar. They all pay on time..they all provide visas in a timely manner.. and they basically all pay in the same "ball park". All of the companies will provide family visas.

From what I have seen�.(and I have seen a lot!)�the only people who have problems dealing with any of the MOM recruiters--- are people who would have problems no matter who they were working for.
Kipling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Many Thanks,
Do they include education allowances for kids???

Mr K

usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, none of the recruiting companies provide educational allowances for dependants. But at the same time, with the exception of Muscat�and to an extent Salalah�the technical colleges are located in areas that have very limited,,if any � educational facilities for expat children. (If your children speak Arabic, you can enroll them in the Omani government K-12 school system.)

I know that some of the locations of the colleges do have Indian schools in the area. There are Indian private schools in both Ibri and Salalah. The tuition is extremely low in both these schools�but you get what you pay for! Classes are very large--35+ etc, etc...

There is also a very small British school in Salalah (http://www.britishschoolsalalah.com/)-- not sure, but I think it may only go up to 8th grade.

Needless to say, homeschooling is a popular option among staff that have school aged children who don't speak Arabic.
dorothy1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: MOM Recuiters Reply with quote

Ms. usa_in_gulf is incorrect about the MOM Recuiters. (Is she their new spokesperson?) The teachers who have challenged the policies and practices of these recruiters are not troublemakers; they are brave change-agents. For example, a small group of teachers in MOM colleges recently forced one recruiting agency to stop taking passports "as a security". This is the law of the country after all! It is also a human rights issue. The MOM recruiters need to be called to accountablity. We do not need Ms. know_it_all/usa_in_gulf to trivilize our efforts. Her broad generalizations are not helpful or accurate. She is out of line - and out of touch.
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ms. usa_in_gulf is incorrect about the MOM Recuiters. (Is she their new spokesperson?) The teachers who have challenged the policies and practices of these recruiters are not troublemakers; they are brave change-agents. For example, a small group of teachers in MOM colleges recently forced one recruiting agency to stop taking passports "as a security". This is the law of the country after all! It is also a human rights issue. The MOM recruiters need to be called to accountablity. We do not need Ms. know_it_all/usa_in_gulf to trivilize our efforts. Her broad generalizations are not helpful or accurate. She is out of line - and out of touch.

????....What "efforts" am I trivilizing?? What have I written that is not accurate?? How am I "out of touch"?? Are there expat schools somewhere that I am not aware of?? What company does not supply family visas? Is there a company that provides educational allowances?? Do any of the companies not pay salaries??? EVERYONE that I know has their passports. So what are you talking about?? Who has challenged what practices??? How am I a cheerleader? Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to me that Mr Dorothy wants to tar every employer with the same brush because of a problem with a past Oman employer - Globenet or some such.

And as far as I can see, Ms usa_in_gulf's posts on this thread were pretty spot on as most of her posts tend to be. She and I may disagree about some details and opinions, but she is one of our most accurate Oman (and Kuwait) posters because of her years in both places.

VS
dorothy1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To veiledsentiments: I object to Ms. usa_in_gulf's broad assertion that " the only people who have problems dealing with any of the MOM recruiters---are people who would have problems no matter who they worked for." This comment is flip and irresponsible. She is well aware of the serious struggles many fine teachers have had with the recruiting agencies. She ought to use her gifts to support teachers and not to denigrate them. The only broad brush was used by Ms. usa_in_gulf, not me. I hope she will retract her comment above.
StampLover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with usa_in_gulf. Where did she/he mention passports?

While I will not say all but MOST teachers who have problems with the agencies are because created them themselves. Again read most not all!

None of the agencies will go above and beyond or be proactive in any way shape or form but they all will pay on time and do what is minimally required to keep getting their pay from the ministry.

The passport thing is unacceptable but in terms of anything else, there isn't much people complain about. If they do, then it is usually because the employee is demanding and rude to their agency. I know dozens and dozens of employees of all agencies who have NEVER had a problem. But in saying that, I know dozens who have but they are usually people who cannot adapt to the small things that we as foreigners here should understand WILL NOT be like at home. (Again, not about the passports. I understand that).

Let's be real and honest. We cannot expect the same rights as at home. That's not lowering yourself to their level, it's being realistic that certain things happen a different way in different countries. A person is foolish to work in any country and expect it to be like the West.
gator07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas of what the TATI hiring process looks like? When do they begin interviewing for Sept 2012 starts? Thanks!
usa_in_gulf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hiring process for the Colleges of Technology goes something like this:

1. Submit your CV to one of the recruiting companies.
2. If you meet the minimum requirements, which currently means being a native speaker, or Omani, and having a related degree (education, TESOL, etc), the company will submit your CV to one of the colleges where they have an opening.
3. The college will review your CV and inform the company if they want to interview you or not.
4. If the college chooses to interview you, you usually go through at least one phone interview, and at some locations, two interviews.
5. If you pass the interview, either the company or the college is supposed to check your references and qualifications. (This is an area that desperately needs improvement.)
6. The college decides to have you work at their college or not. (All teachers are employees of whatever company they go through.)
7. If the college wants you as part of their staff, the college dean needs to give his approval (this isn�t automatic).
8. The college then informs the ministry they want you on staff.
9. The Ministry of Manpower processes your paperwork and informs the recruiting company that they can bring you.

If there are no holidays, and you are hired at the beginning of the work week, the process can move fairly quickly�in comparison to other Gulf countries. Also, its normal, and legal, to switch from a visit visa to a work visa while inside Oman.

The companies usually get their quotas for September sometime in the March/April timeframe.

Last edited by usa_in_gulf on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Kipling

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Simply the best, better than all the rest....duh..duh ..duh Reply with quote

Many Thanks to all the posters on this topic.

The ME forums are the 'Bestest of the best'.... as young master Kip is fond of saying.

Hip Hip Hurray

Another Golden Day

Adieu, Au revoir

From dear old Mr K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: