Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best laptop Mac or PC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaNY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Best laptop Mac or PC Reply with quote

Hi. I was wondering what you all think is the best laptop for an ESL teacher to have when living in different countries. I am a mac person (love them) but my mac is slowly dieing after 5yrs and I need to get a new one. Since I want to keep traveling and teaching which laptop would be best for going on esl websites, to use in the classroom if need be, or to do online tutoring with?

Basically which would be most compatible and easier to use in esl teaching?

Thanks for any info/help.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best laptop Mac or PC Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:
Hi. I was wondering what you all think is the best laptop for an ESL teacher to have when living in different countries. I am a mac person (love them) but my mac is slowly dieing after 5yrs and I need to get a new one. Since I want to keep traveling and teaching which laptop would be best for going on esl websites, to use in the classroom if need be, or to do online tutoring with?

Basically which would be most compatible and easier to use in esl teaching?

Thanks for any info/help.

Outside of North America you will find that by-and-large the vast majority of the planet is NOT Mac friendly.

You will end up loading a windows emulator and running PC software just because you have to.

Getting repairs, upgrades, etc will be difficult and even more expensive than it is at home.

In some countries, even getting your internet hooked up will be a chore because the tech will plug everything in, sit down to configure the connection are realize it is Mac and not a PC and will then say, "No can do."

If you are tech savvy then you can get yerself a Mac. If you are not, get a PC and make your life simple.

VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of Apple stuff in Vietnam. A couple teachers at my school bring in their Apple laptops and have no trouble whatsoever plugging in to the schools Internet. I'm not even sure why that would be an issue. The Internet is not an MS product.

I don't own an Apple but it was my understanding that MS makes all their software to work on Apple as part of their settlement with Apple when Windows first came out.

I use Linux on a PC I built. I have had fewer compatibility issues between Open Office and MS Word than I've had using using different versions of MS Office. I have no trouble connecting to the Internet or networks with printers configured with MS Windows.

I think you can use any computer operating system you want.

As for support, there are Apple stores here in HCMC. I never saw any in Korea but I've heard that Taiwan and Hong Kong are not a problem.

Remember the laptop you're using was likely made in Asia. They use Intel chips now so there should be no problem whatsoever finding parts should you need one.

The language issue is more likely to be a problem so you might have to learn to fix your own computer no matter what OS you use. Sites like this are helpful.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

What about a netbook? Can you run the same programs as a pc? I am thinking of maybe also doing online teaching to make a few extra bucks. I applied to one and they told me their software isn't compatible with macs. Would it be a good idea to have my mac & a netbook or just get a windows laptop?

Merry Christmas.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:

What about a netbook? Can you run the same programs as a pc? I am thinking of maybe also doing online teaching to make a few extra bucks. I applied to one and they told me their software isn't compatible with macs. Would it be a good idea to have my mac & a netbook or just get a windows laptop?

Merry Christmas.

Just for convenience, get a mid-range windows based laptop.

You will find that 99% of the planet will take one look at a Mac and say, "NO" just because they don't know (even if the answer is, "Yes".)

VietCanada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
BocaNY wrote:

Merry Christmas.

Just for convenience, get a mid-range windows based laptop.

You will find that 99% of the planet will take one look at a Mac and say, "NO" just because they don't know (even if the answer is, "Yes".)

This is such utter nonsense that I don't know whether to laugh or feel pity.

Any OS is fine. What ever you feel comfortable with. The planet tired of the blue screen of death a decade ago. Some day PC fanboys will wake up to this.

Last edited by VietCanada on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi. I was wondering what you all think is the best laptop for an ESL teacher to have when living in different countries.

I asked this question last month at the Mexico forum as the plan was to pick one up in Canada over Christmas. Issues that were most important to me were durability (I travel around Mexico City with my laptop a lot) and warranty. I ended up buying an HP Pavillion which I'm hoping is durable. The warranty won\t apply to Mexico though...seems only Dell is a good option in this sense, specific to Mexico.

My girlfriend uses a Macbook provided by the school and hasn't had any problems here with it, though when it has needed servicing the school took care of it. Macs are not hard to find and service in Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BocaNY wrote:
What about a netbook? Can you run the same programs as a pc?

A netbook is just a small laptop. Both netbooks and laptops are PCs (personal computers) that run on MS Windows and run exactly the same applications. I've had no problems at all with my Toshiba netbook.

If by "PC" you meant a desktop computer: Again, the answer is "yes." Desktop computers, laptops, and netbooks can (generally) all run the same Windows applications and other Windows software. You will have no problems.
feelfree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer MAC to PC. I have an iMac. I was considering purchasing iPad 2.

What is the state of technology in university classrooms in the ME?

SMART technology or its equivalent?

WiFi?

BlackBoard?
JDYoung

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is not OS specific but the program that you may need to use to connect to a specific server may be. At my uni here in China the only program that can be used to connect to the uni server is Windows only. One teacher has a MAC with dual boot capability and has to use Windows for her internet and therefore rarely uses the Mac part. Kind of defeats whatever advantages Mac has. If you have a different connection such as a 3G stick then you may be OK.

Let's face it. Programs and connections for Windows are available everywhere, Macs only somewhat whether Steve Job fans like it or not.
feelfree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's surprising since quite a few if not all of Apple products are manufactured in China.
JDYoung

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of stuff that is manufactured in China never appears on the shelves in China.

Apple products such as ipod, iphone and ipad are popular but it hasn't made as much progress in the desktop or notebook market as far as I can tell.
Denizen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Magazine's Top 10 Laptops article from March, 2011 might help...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369981,00.asp
talkgabchat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 11 with Ubuntu 11.10 x64 and have had no problems whatsoever in any of my teaching situations.

The determiner is the programs that might be used and the connectivity required from the computer. For example, the majority of projectors I've seen in use in schools and colleges don't have DVI or HDMI connectivity and instead come with the standard VGA connector. As far as I know, Macs don't have VGA outs, so you'll need a Displayport > VGA adapter (if such a thing is available) for many projectors.

In terms of internet connectivity, it's quite possible to connect a 3G+ smartphone to your computer should you be in a location where such a service is available. If it's not, then you might be SOL if the school doesn't have - or allow teachers to connect to - the internet.

Some software, such as comes on the CD ROMs in many newer textbooks, is Windows only or has limited functionality in OSX/Linux. This makes it less friendly for those OSes, but again, most of that software is intended for the students who, by and large, run Windows.

Flash might be a consideration when choosing a computer - it's a resource hog and is non grata in the Mac ecosystem (likely for competition reasons). Moreover, weaker netbooks running older graphics chipsets will struggle with rendering flash video in fullscreen. This will become less of an issue, perhaps, as the web moves over to HTML5 with the <video> tag and h264 encoding, but again, how older low power and ultra-mobile PCs cope remains to be seen.

Conversely, web resources are generally platform agnostic - running wikis and accessing VLEs is generally possible on any modern browser although again, older computers might struggle under load, particularly from Java and Flash webtop applications.

Basically I guess I'm saying that you need to know the context you'll be teaching in pretty well before you can really decide on what's best for you. As it stands, though, Windows is probably the OS with the fewest issues in setup and working. Security and optimisation, however, are entirely different issues!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: