Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British residential courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: British residential courses Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a residential school in Britain for a mature, upper-intermediate student?

My student has a high-level position in the Czech Republic and deals with the EU a lot. She doesn't want to be on a course with much younger students (she is about 50) and would like a one-month course from around February. If the school was in London (or possibly another place with places of cultural interest), that would be a big bonus.

I know there are many schools advertised but my student has asked me to help her wade through the options as it is difficult to judge purely on from the brochures.

Any advice or sources of quality info would be gratefully received.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czexpat,

You could try these three schools which are centrally located in London and which have all scored 5* excellence on recent British Council inspections. I know, because I was involved with the inspections! I noticed quite a number of more "mature" students at these schools, doing GMAT etc.

Hampstead School of English
www.hampstead-english.com

Skola
www.skola.co.uk

Stanton School of English
www.stanton-school.co.uk

There are also schools/organisations which offer homestay + teaching, which she might prefer.
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
Czexpat,

You could try these three schools which are centrally located in London and which have all scored 5* excellence on recent British Council inspections. I know, because I was involved with the inspections! I noticed quite a number of more "mature" students at these schools, doing GMAT etc.

Hampstead School of English
www.hampstead-english.com

Skola
www.skola.co.uk

Stanton School of English
www.stanton-school.co.uk

There are also schools/organisations which offer homestay + teaching, which she might prefer.

Thanks very much for your help. Do you know anything of the quality of accommodation for homestay courses? I know her colleagues had a bad experience doing something similar (though they weren't on a language course) so she would probably be wary of that.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if she chooses to go to one of these three schools, the accommodation and homestay places are visited and inspected. Presumably then, they would have to be of a certain acceptable standard.

The only other option (but it would be very pricey) is to stay in a hotel.
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
I think if she chooses to go to one of these three schools, the accommodation and homestay places are visited and inspected. Presumably then, they would have to be of a certain acceptable standard.

The only other option (but it would be very pricey) is to stay in a hotel.

Thanks again. I've contacted all three to ask for info and sent their details to the student. When the schools get back in touch, I'll ask them about their homestay accommodation.
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy Czexpat,
I have sent you a pm with some information.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Czexpat

Sending pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: