Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico road project sets up fight over ruins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Mexico road project sets up fight over ruins Reply with quote

Read the article here:

http://hosted2.ap.org/NYBUE/2e515285f07040df999bd6b670db791c/Article_2012-02-08-LT-Mexico-Saving-Ruins/id-9f1640460b3b4d3a8126b1ac05c53155
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the fight over the construction of a Walmart near the ruins at Teotihuacan some years back...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Reminds me of the fight over the construction of a Walmart near the ruins at Teotihuacan some years back...

What happened? Is there a (gasp!) Walmart near Teotihuacan? If there is, how near to the ruins is it?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was built and a compromise was to make the store facade look like the surrounding area - whatever that means. I looked for it last time I was there but couldn't see it.

The main issue if I recall correctly was that the area contained many more ruins/artifacts yet to be uncovered and building a large Walmart was likely to disturb something underground.

Here's the story, from 2004.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1022-06.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The town of San Mart�n de los Pir�mides is right next to the pyramids (that is, next to the perimeter of the area enclosing the site, not next to any of the pyramids themselves), and the Walmart (actually a Bodega Aurrera) is in the town.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
The town of San Mart�n de los Pir�mides is right next to the pyramids (that is, next to the perimeter of the area enclosing the site, not next to any of the pyramids themselves), and the Walmart (actually a Bodega Aurrera) is in the town.

If I recall correctly, many people in the town were happy that the store was being built there because it would make shopping easier.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
It was built and a compromise was to make the store facade look like the surrounding area - whatever that means. I looked for it last time I was there but couldn't see it.

It's the building in the middle - they really did an awesome job on the facade! BTW the photo must have been taken after hours - the parking lot is empty Very Happy
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:SSA41434.JPG

DL
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL: Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: