Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of position am I qualified for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobStrauss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: What kind of position am I qualified for? Reply with quote

White face, US passport
Unrelated BA
TEFL Cert (120 hr)
Unrelated MA
5 years experience
Currently studying MA in TESOL

I'm looking for options beginning in August/September. Right around that time, I will earn my Certificate in TESOL (which will include a US state teaching license at K-12 for ESL). This will directly lead to my MA in December.

Will I have a chance to teach (preferably in a senior position) at a place like RMIT, or have any chance at a senior-level (or even academic manager) position at places like Apollo or ILA?

I'd really like to save $1200+ per month if at all possible.
BenE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked there for 18 months from March 2009 till August 2010. I'm going back there in a month or so.

Personally I have 3 years post CELTA and a BA.

99% of schools will want to grab you with those qualifications and you should have no problem getting a place to work. You should be fussy and make sure they offer to sponsor your work permit. (It's a good idea asking other teachers working for them if they have work permits)
RMIT can be tricky to work for but if you have an MA you might be able to teach your field of study or something like that. It's similar for other centers offering international qualifications.
As for senior teaching positions in the mill schools like ILA and Apollo, they tend to recruit teachers with a good deal of post CELTA experience and are unlikely to offer you a position.

Saving $1200 might be tough at the start but once you get into the swing of things I think it can be possible as long as you don't go too crazy.
skarper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic entry level stuff no problem.

In time if you are a bit older and have some management experience, some of the mills might make you a centre manager.

Depends on how 'biddable' you are.
kurtz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:
Basic entry level stuff no problem.

In time if you are a bit older and have some management experience, some of the mills might make you a centre manager.

Depends on how 'biddable' you are.

From my experience at least, the mills like to hire from within for management positions.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mills may hire you as a manager. It is possible that they may try to hire from within, sometimes you can see them definitely grooming a person for a position. However, with your qualifications (and provided the right personality. I knew a person with similar qualifications, but was an extremely... dry... person. Couldn't even get the sweet shifts, let alone access to the higher positions!) you could start as a teacher, then probably move quickly up. It depends a lot on timing and circumstances. ILA seemed to have a lot of turnover in management.

Good luck!
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key word in my post was "in time"

I was trying to imply that you'd have to 'get in well' with one of the bigger places and convince them you have 'the right stuff' then you could go the management route given a few breaks.

But not everyone is right for this and vice-versa.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your quals (ESPECIALLY five years teaching ESL) - IF you are looking to be here at least one year, then I'd SKIP past the headaches and mind games and such of the mills and try to get a position at a legitimate INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL. You SHOULD easily be able to save $1200USD a month doing that.
kurtz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the turnover at RMT, the mills have a fairly high turnover, it's possible to get an AC job if you're willing to go into the trenches at first. I save about $1200 with a mill job for the safety of the visa and top up my salary with privates.

I thought you needed a BA Education for an International School job but I could be wrong. I met a girl recently teaching at an Int.School, she was "rather happy with the package".
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
I thought you needed a BA Education for an International School job but I could be wrong. I met a girl recently teaching at an Int.School, she was "rather happy with the package".

You are no doubt correct with that, Kurtz. I'd speculate, though, that a BA and an MA in unrelated field (not education specifically, but history or economics or geography or something), would probably suffice as a sort of in-lieu of a BA specifically in Education. That, coupled with five years ESL experience, should see the original poster good for at least an interview at a reputable International school.
BobStrauss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
kurtz wrote:

You are no doubt correct with that, Kurtz. I'd speculate, though, that a BA and an MA in unrelated field (not education specifically, but history or economics or geography or something), would probably suffice as a sort of in-lieu of a BA specifically in Education. That, coupled with five years ESL experience, should see the original poster good for at least an interview at a reputable International school.

Actually, I teach in an international school right now. It's been my first year at one, and I have decided that it is just not for me. Even though I'll be certified to teach anywhere I want (public schools in US or internationally) by August, I'd really like to focus on adult education.

I'm just curious if Vietnam might be a good option. I'm experienced in the Southeast Asia region, and have a lot of contacts here, and I'm not wild about the idea of flying off to Korea again to get my career going. I guess I'll just have to see how things pan out with my applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: