Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there opportunities for us?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdamato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Are there opportunities for us? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I would greatly appreciate any feedback on whether there are opportunities in Mexico for someone with my qualifications.

I hold two B.As (one in history and education and one in socialolgy/anthropology), an Msc. (computer science) and a professional teaching certificate in British Columbia Canada. In addition I have 15 years of experience teaching grades 8-12 (computer science, science, english and other subjects), 4 years as a sessional instructor at a community college and 12 weeks of ESL teaching experience (visiting japanesse students) and some course work in ESL methodology.

My wife is a certified teacher with 12 years experience and working on completing a B.A in English.

We are thinking of downsizing and and heading to warmer climes at least on a part time basis. We are open to any place in Mexico except Mexico City (the pollution and size is just too much). We don't expect to earn great amounts of money just enough to live a native lifestyle and have an opportunity to explore and learn.

Would we stand a chance of both of us finding work on these terms? Would we need to earn TESOL certificates or would we make it on our current credentials?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
hagakuri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Go to Mexico Reply with quote

Hello,

S�, hay muchas oportunidades para usted en M�xico.

Firstly, with your experience you can and will find a job in Mexico. If a person has a degree and is a native speaker - they can just about find a job in many different countries without having much experience. If you add in experience, and the fact that you two would be a teaching couple makes you more attractive to schools.

Schools like getting the two for one scenario. There are many reasons why but schools equate it to personnel stability and long term commitments above and beyond that of a young single person.

Mexico is a wonderful country with a rich culture. I grew up about 50km from the Nogales, Mexico (Tucson, Arizona) so I speak from a lifetime of experience. But it is not a country without its problems. Every country has its pros and cons, that have to be measured by the individual. Staying outside of Mexico City is a wise choice.

Many Mexican schools do not advertise positions via the Internet. You must be in country to learn of the opportunities. First you must decide where it is that you want to live. Next either take an extended trip there to scout and find a job, or pack all your bags and head there and find a job once you get there. The latter is more risky, but it is also the most committed way of finding a job. Because essentially you have to!

Having a TESOL certificate will make you more attractive to a school. In addition, if you can speak Spanish, to any degree, will also make you more attractive.

Good luck.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: just to elaborate Reply with quote

While the above post is more or less correct in detail, I must pojt out one thing...

Language schools will not so easily hire a married couple together. You are better off to look for positions separately. An HR director is not likely to take the risk of having 2 teachers potentially leave at the same time, even if lots of notice is given when you eventually want to move on. For this ,preferrence is more often given to younger, single native-speakers.

I'm not saying you'll have trouble finding positions - only that I've seen traveling couples have exactly this problem.

Guy
Acapulco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your qualifications I suggest that you don't bother with language institutes. Go for university or prepa jobs, the pay is much better (usually) and the work environment is more stable. Try ITESM, they have campuses throughout Mexico and you may have a chance of you both getting hired.
Suerte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: