Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Schools in Ecuador hire directly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jas5sk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Do Schools in Ecuador hire directly? Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for reading my post.

I'm currently looking for a chance to move to Ecuador to teach and improve my spoken Spanish. I can read Spanish well enough, understand basic conversation, and speak poorly (6 year-old-child levels.)

I've already completed my course work for a Bachelors degree --in something besides English-- but I haven't declared for my degree, so I don't have it. I'm planning to declare sometime this summer, because I'm still taking additional courses to boost my GPA.

I do have a psychical copy of my Associates, but have no TEFL cert. I have about 2-2.5 years experience teaching, and I'm wondering if a school in Ecuador will hire me.

Does anyone have any website with direct email addresses or phone # for some schools in Ecuador that are currently hiring?

Do I have any chance of being hired?

If yes, are there any schools that pay for plane tickets, or offer housing + Spanish lessons?

Any advice or flaming is welcomed!
Rolling Eyes

PS: I want to find a job before moving to Ecuador
BocaNY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecuador and South America in general you need to be in country and knocking on doors to get jobs. You may be able to find a job before you get there. The problem you may have is the work visa issue. Most schools don't want to pay for it and require you to already have one before hand. Generally in S.A you have to pay for your own flight since they are i underdeveloped countries. Same thing goes for housing. I have only heard of international schools that give housing but you need to be state certified back home.

Try English institutes. They usually help with the visa and you can probably get a job before hand. i know Wall Street offers help with visas and set you up in a place for a week.

Hope this helps and good luck. Ecuador is a beautiful country to live in.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try ELI or Southern Cross
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Maybe try ELI or Southern Cross

EIL? (Experiment in International Living)

rbc089

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jas5sk,

As other posters have mentioned, no language institutes in South America will pay for your accommodation and/or flights. Moreover, you usually have to be in the country to get hired. However, there are a few exceptions in Ecuador. I worked at CEDEI in Cuenca, and I was hired from my home country (UK) over skype. They also sorted out the visa paperwork for me, before I came to Ecuador. I think that they are currently hiring for the April-June cycle. The English department is very well organised and there are plenty of opportunities for professional development. They also provide free Spanish classes, but you will learn a lot more by making lots of local friends. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there, and if it wasn't for the low pay, I would have stayed there for longer. If you have any other questions about teaching English in Ecuador, feel free to message me.

Rob
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ve been teaching in Ecuador for about eight years now. If you want to make a living wage, you probably will need to look in Quito or Guayaquil. The visa is the big issue in trying to find work here. You cannot do border runs in Ecuador to renew your visa. You are only allowed 90 days on a tourist visa, or 180 on the 12-IX extended tourist visa. While this does allow you to work, it is not renewable. Cuenca and the coast and some other areas are lovely, but it is very hard to support yourself on your earnings there. I have permanant residency and a cedula, and even with that, I havent found anything in those areas that I could live on. I teach in Guayaquil, and although it has a bad rep, I actually like the city very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: