Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone used esljobfinder.net ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
covenananteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Anyone used esljobfinder.net ?? Reply with quote

Hi

I want to get an ESL job in France. Two questions:
1) has anyone used http://www.esljobfinder.net ?
They say that they can get you a job, help with work visa etc but you have to buy a "placement package" I bought their package 1 becuase it sounded like a good deal and apparently have two interviews lined up, one with a school in Paris and the other in Spain. I got a second email with a questionnaire saying that Placement Package 2 (Nearly $500) is necessary for France or Spain "The reason for that is because we are offering our available Openings in those two countries only in combination with free airport pick up, assistance to get the required work permit, along with a Translation service for the contract (the original one is In their local language and our Team will translate it into English).

there is a posting on it being "scammy" on this site by someone who doesn't give any evidence for this. The site has contact addresses and emails

2) does anyone know the best ways to apply for ESL jobs in France?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and only question here is: do you have a legal right to work in France? That would consist of a passport from an EU member country.

If you are solely a native of New Zealand, you are not likely to be eligible to work in either France or Spain legally.

This is why you hear that the 'placement package' deal is a scam - it's because they can't get you a legal work permit if you do not have an EU passport.
covenananteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a UK passport-I actually emailed them back and told them that
But is that the only question.?? How do I verify these people are legit?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you're eligible. Very Happy
Sorry to doubt you but we get lots of would-be teachers here who don't realise that they really can't work in most of the EU.

In your case, the best way to apply for jobs in the entire Western European region is to come over and do it in person. I realise that doesn't actually sound very helpful, but the fact is that the vast majority of reputable employers in Europe (at the entry level) don't hire from abroad. That's because there are lots of teachers already here who can interview in person and empoyers don't need to take a chance on someone sight-unseen. As most jobs here don't pay flights anyway, it's normal to incur start-up costs for travel and initial accomodations.

As for the Placement Package you describe, I expect that you can get the services they list for 500 (dollars/euro?) for far less. Taxi from the airport should hopefully run less than 500 euro Cool Laughing . Any reputable employer here will handle legal documents for you in English and you don't need a work permit as an EU citizen. Ripoff.
covenananteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was supposed to have an interview today-dragged myself out of bed at 4am! No call! I am really annoyed. Is it because they are a bunch of con artists or are they waiting to get me to pay for the "package 2"?? Who could I appeal to to check these people out and get my money back if necessary?

So you are saying the only way is to go over-are there jobs in UK at moment?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the UK job market is a desperate place just now - there are quite a few current posts on the topic in the UK forum.

I think you'ld have a hard time getting your money back. You could try asking the company for it back directly, on grounds that you'll tell everybody you know if they don't, but I don't think you will find any one governing body that oversees a business operating in so many different countries.

I would certainly not send them any more!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but I think you've probably been scammed Sad .
covenananteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merde! as they say in French. I have just discovered on their payment receipt a small link to TOC and a link to request a refund so we shall see how we go.

Thanks for your input. Are you teaching yourself in UK?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not the UK. That's why I referred you to the UK forum, where people who are there have been posting. I've been based in the Czech Rep for 14+ years, and have worked at a university in the Netherlands on and off for 7 some. Our university has partners in all EU countries (so I've got friends and contacts in both France and Spain) and I've got lots of contacts around the region. I've also been involved in teacher training, so I know a bit about the general job market across the EU, though my knowledge is obviously general rather than specific - I try to make that clear when I give advice.

Very good luck to you getting the money back. Perhaps you can use the missed interview as a bit of pressure - they didn't carry out their side. Do let us know how it goes.
riverboat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French jobs on that website seem highly dubious to me. I've never heard of *any* ESL jobs here coming with a furnished apartment and a return air ticket.

Plus the first line on the French page: "France is a country starved for TEFL certified English trainers" - er, I don't think so!

On the introductory page: "ESL Teaching in France: Typical Salary: 1400-2800 Euro / Month - Typical Cost of Living: 400-700 Euro / Month". Hah!

And finally, from the FAQs, in response to "how do I get a work visa?":

"First of all you need a valid contract in order to apply for a work permit. The duration of this process depends on the country. Once in Europe the process of becoming legal (for non-european-citizen) is relatively simple. To get a residency permit you need to provide proof of work, proof of health insurance, and proof that you have made arrangements for paying into the pension fund. In addition, you have to provide a local address. The best approach is to go to the local registration office as soon as you have a teaching contract. They will tell you what additional steps you need to take and will give you a temporary 6-month visa while you fulfill the requirements. Placement Package 2 even includes guidance through the work visa application process."

...this is all just completely meaningless. No school will give a non-European citizen a work contract unless they ALREADY HAVE a work permit.

Just to verify what spiral said, I agree that the vast majority of employers here would only ever hire someone once they were in-country. And the chances of them paying your air-fare one way, let alone springing for a return ticket, are slim to none.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many "facts" on the web site that are far from accurate - ridiculously inaccurate in fact.

Non EU nationals risk being bitterly disappointed when they find they can't get a work permit.
EU nationals also risk disappointment when they pay lots of money for the 'placement service'.

You don't pay to go to work - you get paid for going.
covenananteacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my story. I got my money back through my credit card company
I still got a further email from that ESL crowd a week ago saying they were still looking for a job for me! What annoys me is the time wasting element these cretins produce in people with a need.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, and thanks for letting us know! The company is clearly slightly more credible than I expected since they've returned your money - but it's likely that business is going generally well and they didn't want the negative publicity.

I still think it's essentially a scam - it boils down to the fact that the large majority of reputable employers in the entire European region won't hire anyone sight-unseen (simply don't need to).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: