Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Mason... i mean AURAK....I mean non american uni rak.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: George Mason... i mean AURAK....I mean non american uni rak. Reply with quote

apparently is hiring everyone.

http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000713858-01

But then again, if you look at their current teachers, there are only 3 western names on the entire campus registery...
http://www.aurak.ae/about_AURAK.asp?sid=JNKQKNP4&id=JODRMQE0

So to get it straight...
George Mason opens and gets run into the ground by SS.
SS is fired

George Mason pulls out of the deal because of the incompetence

SS is brought back and the school reopens as AURAK

SS is fired again for incompetence and has run the school into the ground again.

Almost all westerners are fired
and now they are hiring again...

But they have lower standards (look at the positions seeking librarians, assistant librarians, PR folks, registars... they all require a bachelors degree (not in the field) and the applicant be bilingual.

whew....I'm glad I didn't take a job there when it was offered a few years back.
diodeone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: George Mason... i mean AURAK....I mean non american uni Reply with quote

Eisenhorn wrote:
apparently is hiring everyone.

http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000713858-01

But then again, if you look at their current teachers, there are only 3 western names on the entire campus registery...
http://www.aurak.ae/about_AURAK.asp?sid=JNKQKNP4&id=JODRMQE0

So to get it straight...
George Mason opens and gets run into the ground by SS.
SS is fired

George Mason pulls out of the deal because of the incompetence

SS is brought back and the school reopens as AURAK

SS is fired again for incompetence and has run the school into the ground again.

Almost all westerners are fired
and now they are hiring again...

But they have lower standards (look at the positions seeking librarians, assistant librarians, PR folks, registars... they all require a bachelors degree (not in the field) and the applicant be bilingual.

whew....I'm glad I didn't take a job there when it was offered a few years back.

Anyone with a related PhD

Qualifications. Successful applicants will have a strong commitment to teaching excellence. A PhD in related field is required for those seeking positions in Business, Environment and Health Sciences and Liberal Arts. For School of Architecture & Interior Design, A PhD degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or a closely related discipline is preferred, but Master degree in these areas may be considered. For the positions of lab instructors, Master degree in relevant engineering fields will be preferred.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused... the job link to the chronicle is for the Canadian University in Dubai. What does that have to do with RAK and the ex-George Mason University debacle and its current form as AURAK?

As to the list of faculty and staff at AURAK... I wonder if any of them hold a US passport. Rather makes a travesty of having "American" in the name I'd think. As a student I would think I'd been tricked...

VS
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. My mistake. I put in the wrong link.

Here you go to for the job adverts for aurak/ western india rak or whatever they are calling themselves this year.

Deans
http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000711898-01

Vice Chancellor
http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000711902-01

Everyone else
http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000711906-01

Registrar/librarian/media/pr (who don't require anything beyond a bachelors and being bilingual (english and arabic)
http://www.aurak.ae/about_AURAK.asp?sid=JNKQKNP4&id=JODRFNP8

So my point is still valid... I just posted the wrong links. So you were saying? They are hiring for everything, including the kitchen sink.
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case the only English-related position listed here is a PhD in English--i.e., content/literature.

GMU-RAK for its first two years was a disaster run by Indian bureaucrats who worked as contractors for the RAK government, not GMU. GMU just sold its name to the campus and sent over a teacher-trainer as head of the intensive English unit. Then with the failure to recruit more than 30 or 40 students after two years of operations, GMU first fired SS and then folded the campus altogether. Indian bureaucrats promptly rehired SS to mismanage the new "American" campus and then re-fired said SS. Personally I can't see the school being more than a third-rate ripoff any time soon.
dunteslin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what Badar BBB says: but the full story is even more entertaining. Both the first head of the English unit, RR, and the despised SS were classic examples of a type--the Ugly American. They were two culturally insensitive, arrogant, boorish women, who were clearly unsuitable to deal with the inevitable problems bound to arise when setting up an American university campus in an Arab country. What could George Mason have been thinking in appointing either of these people? But then GMU never did its due diligence. It was always going to end up with egg on its face.

One of the few sensible things Mason did do was to sack the Indian administrator, SM, presumably for incompetence. After the changeover to AURAK, he was brought back. A palace coup was mounted, SS was dismissed, to be replaced as 'President of American University RAK' by--wait for it--Indian administrator SM! A year later, this Indian administrator of an 'American' university was dismissed again, and went back to India, to be replaced with--an arab Emirati.

Clearly, the story still has some way to run. In the meantime, I've got to cry to keep from laughing!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, gee, personally I thought it was fun to have weekly meetings being lectured on how not to teach. And it was inspirational to accept any warm body off the street as a classroom seat-warmer. When the "students" rebelled in class at the notion of learning and got out of control, we were told we weren't inspiring the little dears. Oh, and the English head (who was a teacher trainer, which meant, of course, that we had to be taught how to teach all over again) even tried to tell PhD mathematicians how to teach. Understandable, you see, because only ESL administrators know what's best for us. But then I've said it before many times on these pages: that administrators with ESL/EFL teaching backgrounds are the worst managers I've ever seen. Hey--they want professional development?? Let them all get rigorous MBAs and then come back and earn their bossing rights.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even just a measly management course would be immensely helpful!! Shocked

VS
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these schools seem to go this route. Even the private tech schools in the US (Phoenix, DeVry, ITT, Barnes, Broadview, National, etc.) are run with more academic integrity and marketing honesty than any of these I have seen so far overseas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
adorabilly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bird I know that works at AURAK says it isn't that doom and gloom. They stay it is getting better than it has been in years and the school is expanding because they have high enrollment numbers. Just to set the record straight.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey adorabilly... long time no see! Cool

How many native speakers do they teaching English there now?

VS
adorabilly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told it is 3 or 4 and they are hiring for all those positions because they have a higher enrollment than before.

Who knows if it is really happening, but that is what my informant says.

(long time no type VS.... I have been away to keep my head down because some employers in the UAE won't hire you if you post on daves and they know who you are.... even if you only say good things. Go figure.)
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been away to keep my head down because some employers in the UAE won't hire you if you post on daves and they know who you are

That's what I figured. Here's a hint: It doesn't matter if you keep it neutral or not, even being identified of viewing the truth...er, this board is a cardinal sin to those who want to keep their dirty wash hidden.

Tubby the Kamal thinks that hiding his dirty work won't be identified by the accreditation boards that he lures to the UAE.

Hey, Tubby! They'll ALWAYS find out no matter how much you terrorize the "help".

It's been written by Allah!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adorabilly wrote:
(long time no type VS.... I have been away to keep my head down because some employers in the UAE won't hire you if you post on daves and they know who you are.... even if you only say good things. Go figure.)

Sensible decision. You might want to get a new screen name. Discretion is important in the Gulf because we tend not to know what may upset "those" who are irrational about these things.

VS
adorabilly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately for me, the places to teach at in RAK are rather limited and most of them know who I am IRL. I didn't think I needed to hide my identity, especially since I haven't been bad mouthing anyone/anyplace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: