Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Middle East an option for me?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overhere

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Is the Middle East an option for me? Reply with quote

Just wondering if the Middle East is an option for someone with my background or am is it pretty much off limits to me. Any feedback is appreciated.

Native English Speaker/U.S. Citizen

Male, white

50 years old in excellent health

Juris Doctorate. Masters of Public Administration, Masters of Labor Relations, Masters of Social Work. Bachelors of Social Work.

24 years of management experience in the public sector

Many years as a Human Resource Trainer

Managed a large training department

Managed a Career Center

experience as a career counselor/academic advisor

adjunct instructor at a career college (teaching mostly business related classes)

3 years volunteer ESL teaching experience at a local non profit

willing to pursure a CELTA if it increases my chances (actually will most likely do one anyway to improve my skills)

Also is driving absolutely essential in the ME or can you get by without it?

Thank you
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to get by without driving in the Middle East. This is my opinion after 16 years in the UAE and KSA combined.

Wow, three master's and a JD. But no Middle East background. Volunteer ESL doesn't count. You need a degree in applied linguistics, English or ESL plus the CELTA--minimum. With your background only the universities would be suitable, aside from the fact that you need teacher certification at the schools. For the univs. you need two or three years' post-MA experience. Sometimes they accept people with the ESL / linguistics BA + CELTA + 3 years' experience but then they expect you to complete a suitable online master's. I assume you don't want to go for a fourth one.

You may well qualify for a content (anything but EFL) position. Hard to say.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the Middle East an option for me? Reply with quote

Overhere:

A CELTA will certainly improve your chances for an entry-level teaching spot in the Mid East, but that might mean taking your chances with a recruiter. Frankly, with minimal qualifications, you'd fare better by going to Asia to gain paid experience before coming to the ME. Just something for you to chew on if you're flexible about where you're willing to go to teach.

Give these three job sites a look for TEFL & non-TEFL positions abroad:
http://chronicle.com/section/Jobs/61/
http://www.higheredjobs.com/
http://www.bayt.com/
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only J D that I met EFLing in KSA was a fugitive from justice. Thereare of course many unsavoury characters haunting the classrooms of the Hejaz and Nejd.

I think your chances are pretty good.
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arf! Arf!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you posting under the influence BBBB? Laughing

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is pretending to lauigh at my post. True about the fugitive from justice who had a Juris Doctor title. Dope-related. The conviction maybe not the Doctorate.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcnedelsky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: What non Gulf places can one teach? Reply with quote

In some ways, it's a similar question to the one above. I'm utterly new to the field, and would love to teach in the middle east, but my sense is for those w/ limited/no experience (I taught in the West Bank for a bit, but unpaid), it's better to start in Asia.

(I have my CELTA, an honours BA from a good Canadian Uni with good marks, I'm 24. That's it basically).

I'm also not certain about the various options. I'm not keen on the Gulf for a variety of reasons of things I've heard. Here's my sense of some other places:

Jordan/Lebanon: Limited job options beyond universities requiring much higher credentialing
Morocco: I've heard great things, but seems you need a year of experience, and postings seem few?
Egypt: This is where I'm least certain. I've heard there are many opportunities, but see limited postings, the ones that do come up asking for people already in country.

It's hard to know where to begin (i'm sure a common refrain), so any help would be much obliged.

Shukran!
GladToBeFree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by GladToBeFree on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear GladToBeFree,

Are you sure about that? Not according to this site:

"NOTES & FYIs:

" * Visa restrictions: Work visa applicants must be over 22 years of age. Also, the mandatory retirement age at most employers is 60, after which they will not be able to apply for a work visa for you."

http://www.hziegler.com/locations/middle-east/saudi-arabia/articles/visa-process-for-saudi-arabia-for-americans.html

Or this one:

"Age of employment in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia must be over 22 years."

http://www.saudia-online.com/Travelling%20to%20Saudi%20Arabia.htm

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: What non Gulf places can one teach? Reply with quote

mcnedelsky wrote:

Jordan/Lebanon: Limited job options beyond universities requiring much higher credentialing
Morocco: I've heard great things, but seems you need a year of experience, and postings seem few?
Egypt: This is where I'm least certain. I've heard there are many opportunities, but see limited postings, the ones that do come up asking for people already in country.

With your lack of credentials and experience, you wouldn't be eligible for the few jobs in these countries that offer much in pay or benefits (especially not universities). They are not going to fly you there. You are at an age and experience level that you would need to go and knock on doors. With the current situation in Egypt, I would probably head to Morocco. There are a number of language schools where you might be able to pick up some classes with your CELTA. There is AMIDEAST, the American Language Center, and British Council if that is a better fit. Likely there are also other smaller ones.

That said, I agree with those who feel that Asia is a better place to start. Head there and get a year or two of experience on your CV, and then try these ME countries.

VS
mcnedelsky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's super helpful! What are the teaching opportunities like in Jordan/Lebanon, what credentials does one require, and how does one find those jobs (pavement pouding?)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these countries have fewer opportunities. Jordan because it has a small population and Lebanon for a similar reason. Both of them, Lebanon in particular, have plenty of local English teachers. (they both, in fact, export hundreds of English teachers to the Gulf)

If you had an MA, there are a couple good universities in Lebanon that have good foreign hire contracts. Every once in awhile you see an ad for a position in Jordan.

So, yes, it is a matter of going and knocking on the doors of the language schools. BC is in both countries and I know that AMIDEAST is in Jordan.

BTW, while pay will be very low in these countries... bare survival pay, in a few months, one can usually pick up private students through contacts to supplement income.

BTW2, a problem in all of these countries will be visas for long term stays. Usually means regular visa runs.

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they both, in fact, export hundreds of English teachers to the Gulf

Like a cancer...

It's their faulty pronunciation and mythical grammar rules that real English teachers have to overcome! Like it or not...it's the truth!
ellethom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Suadi Arabia, universally, the minimum age has been changed within the past couple of months. It is now 27. From what i have been told, this is from the government, something about too many young people bringing in too much contraband...

You young folks are nuthin' but trouble Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: