Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in MEast with a criminal record
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short answer is yes.

In Canada, you usually go to your "local" police agency for such reports, but in Canada, the RCMP, the National police agency, provides enforcement and reporting purposes for most of the country. So if you ask for a police report in your community, it may be local, it may be national (RCMP is national). In other countries of course it varies.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel_hayes wrote:
In essence, one is expected to present a copy of your Criminal Record Check, along with a degree and CELTA, rather than the school doing THEIR OWN background checks? Is that a correct assumption?

Again this depends on the employer. I have never had to provide one to any of my employers. From posts here, it seems most common in Saudi... and with military or oil company employers? Universities don't do them.

No employers do background checks that I know of, but the country does a "security check" of which no one quite knows what it involves. I do know people that have failed it and never knew why... not common, but it has happened. I think it is most likely to turn up problems within the GCC.

VS
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, self-employed or individuals cannot legally apply for criminal record checks on themselves. Your prospective employer should do it.

Only organisations registered with the CRB can submit applications for criminal records checks.
* a registered body - the employer
* an umbrella body - a registered body that processes criminal record checks for non-registered organisations.

Check out details on :
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195809
helenl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's required by some tertiary employers in Qatar - you need to provide a police clearance cert from where you currently reside - I don't know if you would have to also provide one from your home country if it differs from your current residence.
fladude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't count on every US jurisdiction being that understanding. A lot of them have ditched their local file system and just run an FBI check as standard procedure. The reason being costs. It was just easier and cheaper for them to integrate everything.
Dee Gnarls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - interesting indeed!
Of course I'm naive, but I'm not so apprehensive about particular schools being concerned about my past indiscretion, as getting a kind of blanket national rejection. I understand that's a possibility in S Korea, and I just was wondering in what other countries, if any, might this be a problem. Do other countries require an apostilled FBI background check? It sounds like no - a lot of places will take something local. Maybe this is more a question for the general forum.... :/
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
In the UK, self-employed or individuals cannot legally apply for criminal record checks on themselves. Your prospective employer should do it.

Only organisations registered with the CRB can submit applications for criminal records checks.
* a registered body - the employer
* an umbrella body - a registered body that processes criminal record checks for non-registered organisations.

Check out details on :
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195809

Dedicated, what does this mean for a UK citizen such as me, in terms of teaching English in the Middle East? Does my prospective employer have to apply for a CRB check?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, basically a Middle East employer has to apply, and when I completed various contracts in this area, this is what happened. However, when an employer applies, you are sent a copy of the CRB print-out, which you can keep for subsequent jobs for up to 2 years.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to bump this thread. I am VERY interested on working in the MEast, but I need to find out more about the situation re. CRB checks.

Do you think it's worthwhile contacting schools or recruiters to ask them?

I believe that some countries, like Qatar, don't ask for CRM checks. But I can't find out 100% accurate information.

Has anybody on this thread been asked for a CRB? And, did they apply for it in their home country?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel_hayes wrote:
Just want to bump this thread. I am VERY interested on working in the MEast, but I need to find out more about the situation re. CRB checks.

Do you think it's worthwhile contacting schools or recruiters to ask them?

I believe that some countries, like Qatar, don't ask for CRM checks. But I can't find out 100% accurate information.

Has anybody on this thread been asked for a CRB? And, did they apply for it in their home country?

No, don't contact schools or recruiters; you risk drawing their suspicion (if they reply to you at all). If you check out the visa requirements for the countries you're interested in, you'll see if a criminal background report is needed. For Saudi Arabia, it's required for an employment visa but not for a business/work visit visa. This latter type of visa is commonly issued for many teachers working under recruiting agencies. Although a business visit visa might be appealing for someone with a "tainted past," it's not without its problems. This is a common topic on the Saudi forum.
millie18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to get a police certificate issued from the country I was then resident in to show I had no criminal record there (so far as I know they didn't check with my home country police officials, but the point is moot anyways as my biggest transgression was a speeding ticket 25 years ago which I paid).

ETA this was for a job in Qatar at the tertiary level
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Millie and Nomad. I won't bother contacting recruiters until I know more about the situations. What kind of keywords should I search for on here?

I think I have lots of research to do!
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel
You plan to contact them and say "Can I get a job if I have a criminal record ?" Not very smart.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Daniel
You plan to contact them and say "Can I get a job if I have a criminal record ?" Not very smart.

IF I did contact them, I'd try and be a bit smartet than that ; )
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A criminal record check isn't a problem in KSA, particularly if you happen to have a Ph.D. There is one very prominent Ph.D. at KSU with multiple arrests and convictions for DWI. That would be Dr. Harvey Wallbanger. (Not his real name.) No, he can't get an iquama, but other visa options are available in the Magic Kingdom for those with this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: