Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leave Schengen BEFORE D Visa expires, return as tourist??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nz_taniwha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Leave Schengen BEFORE D Visa expires, return as tourist?? Reply with quote

Sorry for another one of these posts ... I've done some hunting around and nothing quite seemed to solve my particular query.

I'm on a New Zealand passport in the Czech Republic on a work visa which will expire June 30. My parents arrive in Prague on June 27 for just over four weeks of travelling. I want to join them. The plan is for them/us to spend 6-7 days in the Czech Republic (on their arrival), then travel to Poland, Sweden, southern Czech Republic and/or Germany, Austria, then we fly back to NZ from Prague.

I know that ideally, I'd leave Schengen on June 29, returning on July 2nd or whatever, to re-enter as a tourist. If that's the only and/or best option, then I'll do it. But as my parents are here from June 27, I want to be in Prague with them to show them around.

So my question is:
Can I leave Schengen BEFORE my visa expires, then return to the Cz.Rep. to meet my parents off the plane? For example, could I spend a long weekend June 22-24 in the U.K as my 'exit requirement', then when I get my Prague return stamp on June 24, stay until August 2nd along with my parents?
Or do I need to leave Schengen just as, or after, my work visa expires on June 30?

Thanks in advance,
nz_taniwha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I'm confusing a Schengen Visa with my Long-term Visa, therefore my plans of leaving and returning are largely irrelevant ... ?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schengen gives you 90 days out of 180. I think the only danger is whether the authorities will insist that you stay out of the zone for 90 days before re-entering, because you've been there on the long-term visa for the preceeding period.

In any case, you can't 'recharge' a 90 day Schengen visa with a border run - you have to stay out of the zone for 90 days to re-start it.

No idea if they will give you the 90 days at the end of a long-term visa; I'd guess that there are probably no clear rules about this. You might get lucky - or unlucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: