Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELI at KAU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olivertwisted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: ELI at KAU Reply with quote

Hello there,
Can anyone out there give me some insights on ELI at King Abdulziz University in Jeddah, please? I would like to know some info on salaries and the workplace.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: KAU Reply with quote

I had offers from a couple of places and KAU was the best. I didnt get an offer from Aramco and I was told they are easily the top paying institute.

Base salary is roughly 4000USD a month plus all the benefits. Ops for OT as well.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have accepted an offer from them and I'm looking forward to working there. My visa is currently being processed. The only drawback seems to be the low housing allowance. All sorts of people on this site have said I'll be living in a closet or worse based on the amount but I don't believe them. I've had PMs from teachers there now saying it's not too hard to find a decent place close to school.

The interview was one of the toughest I have ever been through. I was interviewed by 2 Saudis and 1 Brit and it was like a tag-team interview done at a machine gun pace. They saw my on Skype but didn't show themselves. One person asked me a question and the moment I answered it another jumped in. It lasted about 40 minutes and I was shaking and sweating when done. Obviously I survived and they made me an offer.

Good luck to you and maybe I'll see you there.

DirtGuy
ramiceman78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DirGuy and All,

17,000 for housing in Jeddah is a JOKE (with all due respect) I lived in the Kingdom and I know how expensive it is to get a decent place to live. The ELO at KAU is a huge place (6 of my friends are working there) and there is no trust whatsoever in the teachers (you are being observed over and over again) and that's why all 6 of my friends are leaving them. If you have kids, you do not recieve education allowance, and let me say that I heared a lot of NEGATIVE thing about the director and his men in that place.
I cannot confirm this, buut one friend of mine said that they demoted a number of teachers in respect of payment. If you have the heart to go with those people..KUDOS and God bless.. buut I would look for a better place, especially that the Kingdom is booming and ESL teachers are highly in demand.

Good luck
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, poster, you are posting negative facts to preserve your job at this gem of an employer... Rolling Eyes

It's as transparent as a solid wall! Laughing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiceman78 wrote:
The ELO at KAU is a huge place (6 of my friends are working there) and there is no trust whatsoever in the teachers (you are being observed over and over again) and that's why all 6 of my friends are leaving them.

Teachers should expect to be observed; it's the norm, especially for new teachers. Aside from general, periodic observations, perhaps the teachers you mention have lousy to mediocre teaching/classroom skills, or there was negative feedback from the students which warranted additional supervision. Sometimes observations are performed to ensure teachers are following teaching guidelines including keeping on schedule with their lessons. Also, as I understand, the ELI has started the process towards accreditation by the Commission on English Language Accreditation, so there's sure to be additional pressure put on the program admin and teachers to meet CEA standards.
ramiceman78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haaaave fun at the ELI...and by the way the guys who left are Ph.D holders who....wait for it....wait for it...landed jobs with Zayed Univ.

Best of luck Cool
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thank you r78. I don't doubt the validity of what you say but I have learned to take everything with a major grain of salt. This job is way better than the others I've been offered and I'm happy to be going over. If it didn't work for your friends, I take what you say at face value and have absolutely no comment on it.

As for being observed, I welcome the opportunity to have someone watching me. They're paying me to do what they want and whatever it is, I intend to do it. Their name is on the paycheck so I have to give them what they want. What better way to find out what they want than by having a direct observation of my class and telling what I did right or wrong?

DirtGuy
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They're paying me to do what they want and whatever it is, I intend to do it. Their name is on the paycheck so I have to give them what they want.

That logic didn't fly at Nurenberg...

It's those who forget history who are doomed to repeat it!
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Were I required to do something illegal then orders from above be damned and I'd refuse. Teaching methods required by my employer are hardly illegal so why should I balk at using them if I choose to work there? Ineffective perhaps but who am I to say that when I'm going into a totally new country/culture/employer, etc? I'm no super-teacher that writes books and does TESOL presentations. Even if my employer uses what I consider to be lousy methods, there is always something to be learned and added to the tool kit.

DirtGuy
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: ELI @ KAU Reply with quote

This place is only for those without kids and are OK with the housing allowance. I was also offered a position there after interviewing with the brit and some Saudi gents. It seemed like an exciting place to work if you don't mind doing some extra work. They appeared to be expanding and setting-up new programs & systems.

I wouldn't have minded being part of that if it hadn't been for the lack of school allowance and no family housing offered by the KAU. I've never had to deal with finding my own housing.

Also, has anyone heard of a univ in KSA NOT offering an education allowance? It seems like a recipe for hiring temps.

Im
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to those in the know

(1) what is the salary range at eli at kau? approximately, i know it depends etc

(2) what are the regular working hours? ie teaching load and 'office' hours, basically how much time one has to spend on site a day

(3) any scheduled leave holidays apart from the summer vacation and the eid(s)? eg between semester holidays

(4) hows commuting to the uni? i know it is by the highway, how is it during peak hours? gridlocked or doable?

thanks
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: ELI @ KAU salaryr ange Reply with quote

Hi,

They offered my friend SR18000 with a small housing allowance and no education allowance.

Im
travelling teacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM, I'm curious. What qualifications and experience did your friend, who was offered SR18000, have? If you want to reply with just a general outline, or PM me, that's fine.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Background Reply with quote

My friend had a in-class MA (not distance) from the US AND a decade of teaching EFL in universities in the Gulf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: