Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances with a distance MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Chances with a distance MA? Reply with quote

I'm planning to go to a martial arts training camp in Thailand for a while, and after I'm done with that, I am hoping to be able to teach adults, either at a university or institute, in either Thailand or Laos. I have a BA in English Lit. and a distance MA in Humanities (with what they call a "disciplinary focus" on English Lit.) from an accredited university in the U.S. I don't have any certificates, but am thinking about getting a CELTA while I'm there if that will improve my chances of getting a job.

What are my chances of landing a university job with a distance MA? What kind of teaching hours and salary should I expect with my qualifications? Also, would it be worth it to get the CELTA?

Thanks for your help!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Chances with a distance MA? Reply with quote

The Boz wrote:
I'm planning to go to a martial arts training camp in Thailand for a while, and after I'm done with that, I am hoping to be able to teach adults, either at a university or institute, in either Thailand or Laos. I have a BA in English Lit. and a distance MA in Humanities (with what they call a "disciplinary focus" on English Lit.) from an accredited university in the U.S. I don't have any certificates, but am thinking about getting a CELTA while I'm there if that will improve my chances of getting a job.

What are my chances of landing a university job with a distance MA? What kind of teaching hours and salary should I expect with my qualifications? Also, would it be worth it to get the CELTA?

Thanks for your help!

Chances of getting a job = 100%.
Chances of getting a uni job that pays more than 30k THB = 10% (since your degrees are unrelated to EFL and you have no effective classroom experience).

BTW... Uni jobs are NOT the best paying by a long stretch.

You would probably need a TEFL cert (CELTA is the best recognized and highly regarded) of some kind (along with some classroom experience) to get into the better EFL academies. Salaries in the 40k THB range to start till you are a proven commodity.

The Boz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, tttompatz. I guess I should mention that I have a year's worth of experience teaching at an academy in Korea and have 3-4 years of education-related work experience there as well (working in testing and curriculum development). I'm not sure if that's worth anything, but wanted to mention it just in case.

In regard to pay, I'm just looking for enough to live comfortably and don't have to worry too much about saving money or paying off debt. The reason I focused mostly on universities was that I thought the working hours would be more conducive to my goals, which include dedicating a large amount of time to martial arts. Am I right about that, or should I be focusing more on academies?

Thank you again for your help.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boz wrote:
Thanks, tttompatz. I guess I should mention that I have a year's worth of experience teaching at an academy in Korea and have 3-4 years of education-related work experience there as well (working in testing and curriculum development). I'm not sure if that's worth anything, but wanted to mention it just in case.

In regard to pay, I'm just looking for enough to live comfortably and don't have to worry too much about saving money or paying off debt. The reason I focused mostly on universities was that I thought the working hours would be more conducive to my goals, which include dedicating a large amount of time to martial arts. Am I right about that, or should I be focusing more on academies?

Thank you again for your help.

I'd suggest looking for a light load academy (maybe 20 classes/wk).
It would still give you enough to live on (assuming you are going to try to live like an expat) and leave you some time to work on your other interests.

Of course, location within the country will have a lot to do with it. More money but more expenses in BKK. Lower expenses but lower wages as well out in the provinces.

You will have to land and look to find something that meets your needs. You aren't likely to find it on-line.

The Boz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, tttompatz!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: