Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Guatemala
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachinfool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Teaching in Guatemala Reply with quote

My husband and I will soon be packing up and moving to Guatemala to teach. We would really appreciate any advice we can get!

Are there any specific things we can do to make the transition easier or advice for once we get there?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you didn't give us much to work with. What kind of advice, specifically. Where will you be teaching? Have you lived abroad before? If so, where. With a little more info it would be a lot easier to help. I lived in Guatemala City for two years, and taught at a small, exclusive all girl's school, and also at a larger, more international school, so can likely answer some of your questions.
teachinfool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be teaching at a large international school in Guatemala City in Zone 15. This is our first time living abroad.

Will it be reasonable to walk from our apartment to restaurants in the early evening? Should you take cabs in all zones regardless? We are very social people and would love some advice on places to visit.
uh huh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Guatemala Reply with quote

I sent you a PM before your last message. I have to say that Guatemala City would be pretty low on my list of first international teaching experiences. I imagine some others will chime in too.
fladude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachinfool wrote:
We will be teaching at a large international school in Guatemala City in Zone 15. This is our first time living abroad.

Will it be reasonable to walk from our apartment to restaurants in the early evening? Should you take cabs in all zones regardless? We are very social people and would love some advice on places to visit.

I don't know where you are living. The... err 2 schools in Zona 15 provide a housing allowance. So whether you can walk to things or not depends on where you live. Some people live near the schools and some don't. Where you live is pretty much up to you. The people who chose not to live in Zona 15, typically live in other zones, like 10 or 14 which have more things to do. You can walk to restaurants in those zones without much worry, but in general crime is heavy here, so I would avoid a lot of walking.

The problem with Zona 15 is that there isn't a lot there. If you want to shop for groceries or go to the best restaurants or go to a big box store, then you have to go to other zones which will either require a cab or for you to buy a car.

Take cabs to all zones? Err... the zones are pretty spread out, I can't imagine walking across town. I mean is it theoretically possible? I guess so, but its like walking across Dallas only with a lot more crime, more hills, and fewer side walks and english speakers. You need to get a car.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teachinfool wrote:

I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere, especially if you are very light. There isn't a lot of do in Guatemala City, I actually couldn't wait for Friday to get the heck out of there for the weekend. Being a small country, it is easy to take a lot of small trips, Antigua is gorgeous, and if you have a few more days Atitlan and Tikal are great trips. Also, Amatitlan, which is a smaller lake can be a nice day trip. Really, pretty much anywhere EXCEPT Guatemala City.......
uh huh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Teaching Reply with quote

�Atitl�n!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere, especially if you are very light.

Laughing One of my all-time favorite sentences! At first I pictured being blown away like a balloon, but then I realized what the Beagle meant (of course) by "light." Laughing
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I had to read that twice too. First I thought, she's got it backwards, the sidewalks are so terrible it's the really heavy or unagile who shouldn't be walking.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Laughing I had to read that twice too. First I thought, she's got it backwards, the sidewalks are so terrible it's the really heavy or unagile who shouldn't be walking.

In the places where there actually are sidewalks......I lived in Zona 14, and there were no sidewalks anywhere, and some of the roads were just gravel. And this was in an area with nicer homes......
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guatemala City and Guatemala certainly are very dangerous, but don't overdo it on the cautions. You can definitely walk around many places during daylight hours. Just talk to other teachers at your school and get their advice on no-go areas and the like. Guatemala City isn't a particularly nice place (at all!), but you're probably going under the best possible (teaching) situation given that you'll be at an international school. You should have lots of fun visiting Antigua, Tikal, Atitl�n and other destinations around the country.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the above. I have traveled a fair amount in Guatemala and my girlfriend lives there. See what your co-workers say, but I wouldn't be afraid to walk outside during the day. Just be careful not to flash around any expensive electronics or jewelry and be careful on public transportation. If you're going around at night in less trafficked areas, don't walk alone. Take a cab. My girlfriend, a Guatemalan, has been robbed twice in Antigua in the evening--Antigua tends to be pretty safe though.

Amatitlan has a great spa named Santa Theresita with thermal pools. Really nice. Register with the U.S. embassy so they know you're in the country and check their travel updates. Peten, the province in the north of the country, is getting dangerous.
orozcom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Teaching In Guatemala(Coban) Reply with quote

Hey to Teachinfool,
I was wondering how did you go about getting your job in Guatemala? I'm currently teaching in Korea and would like the next stop to be Guatemala. I have seen some jobs posted about Coban. I was just wondering if anyone can provide me some insight about Coban or working in Coban? Also if at all possible the best route to go to land a job in Guatemala. Thanks so much for the help.

Monty
teachinfool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orozcom,

I honestly got the job by doing some research and sending out an email. Since this is my first international teaching job, I sent out emails until I received a response.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching In Guatemala(Coban) Reply with quote

orozcom wrote:
I was wondering how did you go about getting your job in Guatemala? I'm currently teaching in Korea and would like the next stop to be Guatemala. I have seen some jobs posted about Coban. I was just wondering if anyone can provide me some insight about Coban or working in Coban? Also if at all possible the best route to go to land a job in Guatemala. Thanks so much for the help.

What are your qualifications?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: