Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IH Bogota vs. Southern Cross (CELTA)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: IH Bogota vs. Southern Cross (CELTA) Reply with quote

Im heading out to SA after summer (Colombia) and will be teaching ESL there for a year. I have a degree and think i'm going to bite the bullet and get the CELTA to make myself the most attractive to employers.

So now, I must decide where to take the CELTA. It would be better connection wise to get it done in Bogota since that is where I will be working but it is more expensive there and I have never been to Ecuador before so it would be nice to experience that country.

Is the course in Bogota all inclusive (housing ect)?

What yall think?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main differences are that the Ecuador course is on the beach, Bogota is in the city. Do you have a preference?

The Ecuador course is 5 weeks, Bogota 4 weeks. It takes the pressure off a little having it over 5 weeks, but you put your job search back a week.

The Ecuador course is cheaper. Bogota is VERY unlikely to be fully inclusive, though you would need to check that with them yourself.

Personally, I would say do the course where you plan to work. The contacts you make, both in terms of the school and trainers and the other trainees, may turn out to be as valuable as the actual certificate.
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the Southern Cross and they now charge 2200 something dollars!! WTH
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, that's gone up. That is the full board price though, you can do the course in Quito or Guayaquil without accommodation or food for $1667.
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $2,000 USD for my CELTA at the British Council in Bogota over 3 years ago.
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
Ouch, that's gone up. That is the full board price though, you can do the course in Quito or Guayaquil without accommodation or food for $1667.

Are you sure? I think that is some long part time program and not one that can be finished in 4-5 weeks.....
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DashGlobal wrote:
HLJHLJ wrote:

Are you sure? I think that is some long part time program and not one that can be finished in 4-5 weeks.....

I think so, although it is a bit confusing, the website says:

Course cost is US $2250, accommodation and food included. (This will be the course at the beach)

*Nonresidential courses are offered periodically in Guayaquil and Quito, including the 14-week extensive course in Quito. The course fee for the nonresidential courses is $1667. Southern Cross can arrange accommodation for you on request. (That reads to me as if that fee covers all the nonresidential courses i.e. everything apart from the beach).
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to pay for a place to stay your still gonna come out around 2100 bucks total.

:/
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will, and living expenses in Ecuador are generally a little cheaper than Colombia. I doubt you could do it for less in Bogota.
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully i can find some free accommodation in Quito and just do it there. then take a bus to Colombia.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already know someone in Quito, that might work. Otherwise, no-one is going to give you free accommodation here. Also, you'll be heading into Colombia with no contacts and no locally known references. If you want to work in Colombia, do the CELTA there.
DashGlobal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a decent number of contacts in the education / esl field in Colombia already.

But Id have to find some free accommodation in Quito though. Not easy but can be done imo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: