Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico City vs. Bogota
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
CarolinaTHeels wrote:
MNguy,

where/how did you find your roommate? Compartoapto?

Living with one colombian in a 2 bedroom apt is what i will be looking to do.

I found my 'roommate' by being an attractive man with a willingness to sleep with a beautiful colombiana.

The second bedroom should be an office, ideally.

Then I should have no problem then! Im alittle bit worried about rooming with a girl and then bringing other girls over. Might complicate things! lol
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MNguy"]
spanglish wrote:

Mnguy, please provide a detailed breakdown of costs to show how it's possible to 'comfortably' live on 2 million pesos or less per month at current prices in Bogota.quote]

You know I like giving you a hard time, relax. I lived with a Colombian gal near the Narino Transmi stop and rent was about 350k per month not including services. Safe neighborhood, nice two-bedroom apartment (flat). She worked over 40 hours per week in a professional office environment and made about one million a month.

I am no longer living in Colombia, so I can't give 'current' prices, but really, if you want to make it in Colombia, live like a Colombian. Find a nice boy or girl that you like and give it a go. Or find a private student willing to pay one million per hour.

Okay, then I apologize for being a bit too touchy. My rent is 400k/month plus services and internet, which push it too 600k/month. I share an older, but nice (and large) house with one other person. I'm getting quite a decent deal for my neighborhood. And you're right - most Colombians make do with very little. I'm sure your roommate had very little margin for error on a million/month.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say I find a room on compartoapto ect Do people make people pay a deposit to rent out a room? How does that work typically?

I dont see how Colombians live off 500 dollars a month! i will have to take notes! that means I should def be able to get by on 2 mil.
MNguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. We went to La Mesa about once a month for vacation, ate out twice a week and were able to go to the festival in Neiva. Ahhhhhh Elisabet.

She also sold shoes on the weekend for extra cash.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
Im not sure career path and TEFLer belong in the same sentence! jaja

Maybe in the Middle East or Korea with a MA and DELTA....

You got that RIGHT!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I think the biggest problem in ESL in Latin America is people who think that because they can speak English they can teach it. No training, no qualifications, no skill, but high sense of entitlement. A sure path to defeat. If you have a degree in Education, certainly, you can make in the $20,000 to $30,000 peso range, with all the benefits required by law. But, yeah, if all you are qualified for is a language school, you are likely to feel underpaid and underappreciated. I just wonder why it is that people think they can TEACH in Mexico with no training or qualifications, the same people wouldn't be likely to apply for a professional job in their home country that they weren't qualified for, so why is is OK in other countries?

I made $20,000 pesos per month in beautiful Mexico DF with just a TEFL cert.

So, YES it can be done!

And yes, native-speakers are way better qualified than the Mexican teachers that can not even speak English yet are allowed to teach it.

This is a major problem in the quality of education in Mexico as a whole. Not just a few native-English teachers taking some jobs as EFL instructors.

Mexican schools and thus Mexican students are the real losers in the system which exists inside Mexico that allows unqualified teachers who prefer protesting to actual teaching to have a sense of entitlement to their jobs... Rolling Eyes
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
And yes, native-speakers are way better qualified than the Mexican teachers that can not even speak English yet are allowed to teach it.

Right! I saw that a lot when I was teaching in Mexico City.

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Mexican schools and thus Mexican students are the real losers in the system which exists inside Mexico that allows unqualified teachers who prefer protesting to actual teaching to have a sense of entitlement to their jobs... Rolling Eyes

According to some, we North Americans are the only people on the planet who have this "sense of entitlement" Rolling Eyes . Thanks for pointing out that it is alive and well in other countries Prof. Gringo.
Thanks for helping to keep things FAIR & BALANCED here on the greatest EFL sight on the net...Daves!!!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Prof.Gringo wrote:

According to some, we North Americans are the only people on the planet who have this "sense of entitlement" Rolling Eyes . Thanks for pointing out that it is alive and well in other countries Prof. Gringo.
Thanks for helping to keep things FAIR & BALANCED here on the greatest EFL sight on the net...Daves!!!

I agree with you 110%!

GREAT avatar BTW!
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Prof.Gringo wrote:

I agree with you 110%!

GREAT avatar BTW!

Thanks Prof!!! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: