Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about holding ones passport but issuing an iqama ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It's Scary" I just came from Arabia had to go through all of this.

1. Why would you post that "The Emabssy" can't be reached or called?

2. If the embassy can't be reached or called, then that proves my original point on my previous posts.

O.K...it's "by the numbers" then:

1. "The Emabssy" was your term and currently mis-spelled word...not mine.

2. You are obviously refering to the U.S. Consulate which is different from an embassy in that it is not an embassy.

3. I DID NOT say that you could not call the "embassy". Reread my post. Humans in Riyadh, where the U.S. Embassy is located, do not answer the telephone...an answering machine does, telling you when the various offices are open.

4. There is no place named "Arabia".

5. Even Saudis are required to possess passports on international flights! Sheesh! Rolling Eyes

It's all about getting you facts right and employing a spell-checker!

Last edited by It's Scary! on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs to be clear that having your passport in your hand does NOT mean that you can leave the country.

You MUST have an EXIT VISA arranged by your employer - stamped into your passport.

VS

(PS: Don't expect your embassy to help you... they can't and won't)
ram77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: EXIT VISA Reply with quote

Exactly! cmp45, you got it! That's why you can't accept any job that doesn't give you a multi-entry VISA. You must ask, if they don't provide a multi-entry for the job... DON'T ACCEPT THE CONTRACT. Otherwise, make sure that no matter what happens, they change the contract, give you bad living conditions... etc. that you are going to tough it out no matter what. There are so many jobs in KSA, there's no need to settle, but if that's the case, do what you gotta do. It's easier to say than do. Multi-entry VISA requires that you say, "I'm returning" otherwise, the airport won't give you the ticket.

cmp45 wrote:
ram77 wrote:
The embassy is open from 1 to 3 pm Saudi Time to come in and 9 - 11 am for phone inquiries. Saudi Arabia is 8 hours ahead, so write down your questions if you must, wake up early and call them or e-mail your questions to [email protected] and they will get back to you in a couple of days.

"It's Scary" I just came from Arabia had to go through all of this. 1. Why would you post that "The Emabssy" can't be reached or called?

2. If the embassy can't be reached or called, then that proves my original point on my previous posts.

People! Don't just take my word for it. DO THE RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF! The Iqama works for daily life, yes, but no one in the Eastern province asked for my Iqama ever!! I look Arab, too. They simply heard me talk, smiled and left me alone. I would rather keep my passport than my Iqama. If anything happens with Iran and you want to go, you have to beg the school for your passport and they will let you go, IF they want to. You can always request your Iqama to open a bank account or whatever. The airports REQUIRE the passport. There's no Iqama for an airplane unless you're a Saudi citizen.

It's Scary! wrote:
Quote:
I implore you all to call the embassy...

CALL??? What world do you live in??? What country do you come from???

In Saudi, if you "call" the US Embassy, you will simply get a recording telling at which time which offices are accepting the great unwashed!

To think that you can simply "call" the embassy is to really be living in the "Magic Kingdom"!

Yes, a passport is required to leave the country, but without a proper exit visa in that passport...well...good luck with getting on a plane.
ram77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you 12?? You just want to start foolishness. You really think that people care for my spelling when they are deciding on a contract or they are looking for real information. Grow up, dude.

As I said before people, do the research yourself and take nobody's word for it on ESLCafe. I wrote the contact of the "CONSULATE" above and they will give you the embassy in Riyadh if need be. The e-mail is usually sufficient.

Good luck to all of you and I hope I've encouraged some of you to look before you leap.

Later

It's Scary! wrote:
Quote:
"It's Scary" I just came from Arabia had to go through all of this.

1. Why would you post that "The Emabssy" can't be reached or called?

O.K...it's "by the numbers" then:

1. "The Emabssy" was your term and currently mis-spelled word...not mine.

2. You are obviously refering to the U.S. Consulate which is different from an embassy in that it is not an embassy.

3. I DID NOT say that you could not call the "embassy". Reread my post. Humans in Riyadh, where the U.S. Embassy is located, do not answer the telephone...an answering machine does, telling you when the various offices are open.

4. There is no place named "Arabia".

5. Even Saudis are required to possess passports on international flights! Sheesh! Rolling Eyes

It's all about getting you facts right and employing a spell-checker!

Last edited by ram77 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: EXIT VISA Reply with quote

ram77 wrote:
Exactly! cmp45, you got it! That's why you can't accept any job that doesn't give you a multi-entry VISA. You must ask, if they don't provide a multi-entry for the job... DON'T ACCEPT THE CONTRACT. Otherwise, make sure that no matter what happens, they change the contract, give you bad living conditions... etc. that you are going to tough it out no matter what. There are so many jobs in KSA, there's no need to settle, but if that's the case, do what you gotta do. It's easier to say than do. Multi-entry VISA requires that you say, "I'm returning" otherwise, the airport won't give you the ticket.

cmp45 wrote:
ram77 wrote:
The embassy is open from 1 to 3 pm Saudi Time to come in and 9 - 11 am for phone inquiries. Saudi Arabia is 8 hours ahead, so write down your questions if you must, wake up early and call them or e-mail your questions to [email protected] and they will get back to you in a couple of days.

"It's Scary" I just came from Arabia had to go through all of this. 1. Why would you post that "The Emabssy" can't be reached or called?

People! Don't just take my word for it. DO THE RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF! The Iqama works for daily life, yes, but no one in the Eastern province asked for my Iqama ever!! I look Arab, too. They simply heard me talk, smiled and left me alone. I would rather keep my passport than my Iqama. If anything happens with Iran and you want to go, you have to beg the school for your passport and they will let you go, IF they want to. You can always request your Iqama to open a bank account or whatever. The airports REQUIRE the passport. There's no Iqama for an airplane unless you're a Saudi citizen.

It's Scary! wrote:
Quote:
I implore you all to call the embassy...

CALL??? What world do you live in??? What country do you come from???

In Saudi, if you "call" the US Embassy, you will simply get a recording telling at which time which offices are accepting the great unwashed!

To think that you can simply "call" the embassy is to really be living in the "Magic Kingdom"!

Yes, a passport is required to leave the country, but without a proper exit visa in that passport...well...good luck with getting on a plane.

I don't think you 'got it' at all ! I have worked in Saudi Arabia for 10+ years with three different employers and never had, nor needed a multi-exit visa and NEVER had any issue with my employer handing back my passport when I needed to leave the country.
It pays to have a decent employer though...but,you have to realize not all employers are shady underhanded jerks waiting to mistreat and rip you off ...yes, it pays to do your research and work for a legitimate employer, but what you are saying is probably based on your own poor unfortunate experience and therefore reacting with little more than paranoid hysteria Shocked

Last edited by cmp45 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ram77,

"You must ask, if they don't provide a multi-entry for the job... DON'T ACCEPT THE CONTRACT. Otherwise, make sure that no matter what happens, they change the contract, give you bad living conditions... etc. that you are going to tough it out no matter what."

I'm afraid even that won't be a guarantee. Employers, and recruiters /contractors especially, will often tell you anything without regard for the reality you'll encounter there. Moreover, contracts in Saudi, except in the case of the good employers there, aren't worth much to the employee. Once you're in the Kingdom, unscrupulous employers pretty much have you at their mercy - and they don't have any (mercy, that is.) You need to try to determine whether your potential employer is one of those, insofar as you can. And these forums can be helpful.

I'm not usually one to advise "doing a runner", but in situations such as those, I can see the justification (provided you can manage to get an exit visa.)

Regards,
John
ram77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: EXIT VISA Reply with quote

Are you kidding? You can't go to the airport with your passport and get on a plane without a Multi-Entry VISA or Permanent Exit Visa. You can't just get your passport back and be on your way, dude. How is it that you NEVER had a Multi-Entry Visa, yet you, according to your quote HAVE LEFT THE COUNTRY?? You're saying that with your passport alone, you can leave the country without any of these??

You must be an employer looking for teachers or something because that's just not possible. Ha ha ha That's a blatant lie. As stated, DO YOUR RESEARCH PEOPLE! Make the phone calls and write the e-mails. Remember, when you get cheated, you were warned. It's your own fault. Don't depend completely on these threads. Do your own research. These threads are just 'leads' to lead you in the right direction of researching for the job that's best for you. Wink

I don't think you 'got it' at all ! I have worked in Saudi Arabia for 10+ years with three different employers and never had, nor needed a multi-exit visa and NEVER had any issue with my employer handing back my passport when I needed to leave the country.
paranoid hysteria Shocked[/quote]
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides a "Like" icon, this site also needs a "Way over his/her head" icon! Razz

It's the one I'll be continually using!
ellethom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly how good threads get locked. Can we cease and desist with the child-like name calling and bullying tactics? It would seem that there is a valid issue being discussed here.

I have yet to leave the country, but i myself know that you do need an exit visa to do so. That being said, arguing over minutia like spelling and calling each other idiots is reprehensible behaviors for what i would assume were professionals.

Shame on you
ram77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I don't like being put in my place like that, but ellethom is right. I'd rather give legit information to those seeking it, then get the last word in.

My apologies,
ram77

ellethom wrote:
This is exactly how good threads get locked. Can we cease and desist with the child-like name calling and bullying tactics? It would seem that there is a valid issue being discussed here.

I have yet to leave the country, but i myself know that you do need an exit visa to do so. That being said, arguing over minutia like spelling and calling each other idiots is reprehensible behaviors for what i would assume were professionals.

Shame on you
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...calling each other idiots...

Could you highlight that post, please? I don't think that kind of personal attack is allowed here. If you cannot quote it, are you now, not elevating the level of enmity in this conversation where there is an obvious disagreement on opinion?

It's a legit inquiry and request!
ellethom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is further sidebar necessary for you, other than to keep the argument going?

Here is the thing, i am simply asking if we can re route the conversation to the original topic at hand. There are a lot of people. myself included, who would love an intelligent and professional dialogue. your continued focus upon the negative will only serve to get this thread locked.

Period.

Now, as far as the exit visa goes, is it something supplied by your enmployer, or are you typically responsible for procuring it yourself? I mean under legitimate circumstances, not a midnight run. when you are leaving for break, do they stamp your passport for you?

Last edited by ellethom on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellethom wrote:
Now, as far as the exit visa goes, is it something supplied by your enmployer, or are you typically responsible for procuring it yourself?

The employer is responsible for getting exit/re-entry visas for his employees. It's also at his descretion as to whether the visa is a multiple or a single exit/re-entry type. This is relevant to those employees with an iqama and not those on business visit visas. In fact, if you have a business visit visa, you legally are not an employee nor are you a resident of KSA.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ns said.

And, for the record, using the term "idiot", that little gem belongs solely to ellethom.

Pls. don't put words in people's mouths. That will ensure an end to the discussion.

It's called being honest with words!
ram77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to pay for mine out my pocket, but it only took a couple of days and it was worth having.

nomad soul wrote:
ellethom wrote:
Now, as far as the exit visa goes, is it something supplied by your enmployer, or are you typically responsible for procuring it yourself?

The employer is responsible for getting exit/re-entry visas for his employees. It's also at his descretion as to whether the visa is a multiple or a single exit/re-entry type. This is relevant to those employees with an iqama and not those on business visit visas. In fact, if you have a business visit visa, you legally are not an employee nor are you a resident of KSA.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: