Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS pay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainthood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, while I can understand a benchmark, I think that CELTA - and CELTA only is a bit rich. "Oh, you've got that, and that, and THAT... but you're CELTA was too recent, so you'll have to wait!"

RE: advertising.... I was just on a webpage for a NZ institute advertising to foreign students... and one of their selling points was that they had examiners working for them to help guide' students progress.... so, is this advertising restriction unique to China? And what's the precise wording?

It seems to me that there exists a MASSIVE loophole... a person could advertise having certified examiners on staff, while not having any... but using the 'anonymity' aspect to lie about having them... ie,"Sorry, I can't really tell you who is, and who isn't". Unless China has a law preventing someone to advertise as such??
Opiate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sainthood wrote:
Unless China has a law preventing someone to advertise as such??

That was too funny. Very Happy

I'll let you get back to your thread now.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...you're not allowed to advertise you're an examiner

I have to agree with both sainthood and yaramaz on this. You are definitely not allowed to advertise yourself, and you can be struck off the Cambridge books for doing so.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous employers, particularly in China, will do anything to attract customers/students.
igorG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it'll come down to who you are employed by or shall i say who has arranged you the work permit Wink
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auchtermuchty wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if you could decide which country you were taxed in. I mean, you could live and work in the US, but you could say to the IRS, "sorry, your rates are not competitive, and I will be taking my custom elsewhere". Very Happy

No, you don't understand at all. In cases like this, you're marked as being a freelancer therefore it's YOUR responsibility to pay taxes. SIT and Cambridge also do this.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therock wrote:
Because most foreigners are not qualified to become IELTS examiners. I thought the requirement was for one to have a BA and a CELTA certificate.

Hm, I thought it was CELTA or equivilant plus a couple years exp. I'm hoping a TEFL and two MAs plus a decade of teaching exp, most of it EAP will work.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's their job advert. they're VERY flexible. BA or equivilant for that matter.
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=24756

You will need:
An undergraduate degree or a qualification which can be demonstrated to be an equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
A TEFL/TESOL qualification from a recognised institution (at minimum certificate level) or EFL / ESOL related studies completed as part of an undergraduate / post graduate award course from a recognised institution (minimum certificate level equivalent) or A degree in Education (if supported by an undergraduate degree which includes studies focused on English language at point 1 above) .
A minimum of three years full-time relevant teaching experience (or equivalent part time) is required*. If an applicant�s EFL / ESOL qualification is at certificate level (or equivalent), one of the three years full-time teaching experience must be post EFL / ESOL certificate qualification. If the EFL / ESOL qualification is at Diploma level or higher, teaching experience post EFL / ESOL qualification is not required.
The required professional attributes and interpersonal skills.
Note: �Full-time teaching� is classified as a minimum of 14 hours of face-to-face teaching per week
Please downlaod (yep, this typo was on the advert Smile ) Recruitment Information Pack from www.britishcouncil.org/china-aboutus-jobvacancy.htm or contact [email protected]

So I've got the BA degree
TEFL cert (but the company doesn't exist anymore, so not sure about that?)
I do have two MAs though, one in TEFL, one in Ed. The first was finished in 2009, awarded in 2010.
So I'm hoping I'm good to go.
sainthood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
Quote:
...you're not allowed to advertise you're an examiner

I have to agree with both sainthood and yaramaz on this. You are definitely not allowed to advertise yourself, and you can be struck off the Cambridge books for doing so.

Unfortunately, unscrupulous employers, particularly in China, will do anything to attract customers/students.

Well, that would lead to my next most obvious question... what if you get a employer who chooses to advertise the fact that they hire IELTS examiners, and you do your bit (ie, tell them 'oi, I don't want you doing that, cos I could lose my certification"), but the employer still does so? Are you required then to leave that job? What about all the expenses incurred in getting that job? What about 'breach of contract' losses???

And, Dedicated, I don't see how employers would be considered 'unscrupulous' if it's ok in the rest of the world...
auchtermuchty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
auchtermuchty wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if you could decide which country you were taxed in. I mean, you could live and work in the US, but you could say to the IRS, "sorry, your rates are not competitive, and I will be taking my custom elsewhere". :D

No, you don't understand at all. In cases like this, you're marked as being a freelancer therefore it's YOUR responsibility to pay taxes. SIT and Cambridge also do this.

Actually, I do understand. My post made no reference to whether you are a freelancer or not. You cannot simply decide all by yourself to which country you owe the taxes. If you earn the money in China, the tax is owed to the Chinese government.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

auchtermuchty wrote:
Actually, I do understand. My post made no reference to whether you are a freelancer or not. You cannot simply decide all by yourself to which country you owe the taxes. If you earn the money in China, the tax is owed to the Chinese government.

And yet, if the taxes are different, you still may owe money to the US, since you'd have to do the 1116, Sch SE, and Sch C.
auchtermuchty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
auchtermuchty wrote:

And yet, if the taxes are different, you still may owe money to the US, since you'd have to do the 1116, Sch SE, and Sch C.

Ok, I should have said "tax is owed to the Chinese government" rather than "the tax". It doesn't change the fact that you can't choose one country or the other.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you do the 8802 Wink
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's EAP?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EAP= English for Academic Purposes.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
EAP= English for Academic Purposes.

Oh, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: