Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan in comparison to Mainland China

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piglet44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Taiwan in comparison to Mainland China Reply with quote

Hi All
Currently teaching at a Uni on the mainland. Love it a lot but would like to move on next semester. I have an MA (General Literature), TEFL cert and 30 years of experience in EFL> Can I get a job in a University teaching EFL or Lit in Taiwan? How does it compare? Really looking for a pleasant environment and chance to sightsee. thanks
creztor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge thread here about Taiwan university jobs, but it may have been "moderated". I am not 100% sure what your MA is, you did say general literature, but most schools want something that is TESOL related. This doesn't mean you can't find a university job, but to get them you need to look long and hard. To cut a long story short, if I were you I would stay in China. It's not uncommon for people working at universities to have to work three schools to get enough hours. If you want a full-time gig, more and more unis require that you either have your PhD OR you are currently studying for one. Again, I'd stay in China.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many teachers in Taiwan need to work more than one job. Stay in China, since there is plenty of work.
Vendetta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing here, China has a bigger market. Taiwan has the smallest birth rate in the world. Things can't get much better here.
englishmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent several years at unis on each side of the strait, I can tell you without hesitation that the life in Taiwan is far better than in China, at least in the sense of material comfort and personal freedom.

However, you usually have to have a PhD and numerous publications to land a job. I have the former, but not the latter, and was rejected by one Taiwanese uni because of it. At the small uni that did hire me, I was under constant pressure to publish, which was one of the factors that drove me to leave, even though I really dug Taiwan.

China is interesting culturally and socially, and you can have some life-changing experiences there, so perhaps it's better for you to stay. Maybe you can publish some things first, then apply to Taiwanese unis.

www.tealit.com has occasional ads for uni positions. Good luck.
Double Clutcher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some English centers at a number of universities hire teachers with a master's and zero publications. However, if you are planning on finishing your contract in China at the end of this semester, then relocating to Taiwan, all of the full-time jobs will be gone as you need to be on the ground in Taiwan right now to get a full-time uni gig for September.

If you come to Taiwan in the summer and are happy with working as adjunct faculty at a number of institutions, you could send your CV and cover letter out to every uni with an English Dept. and/or Applied Foreign Languages Dept. within your targeted area and you might get some calls. And if you get hired part-time you might be brought on as full-time the following school year. You would probably have to take on some cram school work to survive though. That is what I did, I have a master's in TESOL, no publications. I survived by working for three different unis for a year making a measly 575 TWD per hour and threw in some cram school work. This last September I became full-time at one of the unis.
MarkDF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwan in comparison to Mainland China Reply with quote

REPLY: SUGGEST YOU LOOK AT TEALIT.COM . HERE ARE SOME GOOD PLACES TO WORK (NOT ALL UNI'S THOUGH:
1 JHS http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=23346&language=en

2 K-12 http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=21679&language=en

3 UNI http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=23319&language=en

4 HS http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=23323&language=en

5 E http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=23307&language=en

6 E http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=22993&language=en

7 http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php?section_id=29&subsection_id=3&content_mode=3&search_mode=5&content_id=22759&language=en

8 UNI THIS ONE YOU HAVE TO FIND YOURSELF (IT'S IN THE COUNTRYSIDE JUST OUT OF TAIPEI CITY)
International Language& Culture Center國際語言文化中心==
Requirements:
1. Native Speaker of English
2. Master degree holder
3. Teaching experience

To apply please provide:
1. Curriculum vitae
2. Autobiography
3. Thesis or dissertation
4. Two reference letters, written within the last twelve months, one of which preferably by a direct superior in the current or previous appointment.
5. A list of publications and three copies of publications in recent five years.
6. (if applicable) Certificate of Lectureship issued by the MOE in Taiwan.
7. A copy of diploma of highest degree and Transcripts
8. Candidate holding a graduation certificate from foreign country should have the certificate certified or attested by the Taiwan�s official or semi-official office in foreign nations.

FINDING AN APARTMENT:
THIS IS A FREE WEBSITE TOO-
http://www.tmm.org.tw/English/announcement20040615_EN.htm

GOOD LUCK!
Smile
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vendetta wrote:
Nothing here, China has a bigger market. Taiwan has the smallest birth rate in the world. Things can't get much better here.

The reason I would consider Taiwan over China (if I had the proper University degree for ARC resident purposes).
1. Taiwan is democratic. You can speak your mind. The only foreigners who would be rejected by locals are those who are sympathetic towards Beijing. If you are a foreigner who believes Taiwan is not a country, keep it under your hat. Better yet, go to China instead.

2. Jobs in Taiwan (if I remember correctly) pay slightly better than China. And there's plenty of jobs around. (If I'm wrong, correct me).

3. The people. I only been to Taiwan for two months. And I felt like I was home. I felt way more at home there than I did back in Canada. I did not want to leave. In 2004 I met people who kept in contact with me by email for a very long time. People were willing to talk to you. You get that in China as well, but when I first came to China I realized that China wasn't AS friendly as Taiwan. I couldn't judge a country by just two months of being there. So I posted a thread on it to get other opinions. But I google the key words "reasons to love Taiwan" and every site I found talked about the locals being more friendly towards foreigners than almost any country most foreigners go to. Taiwanese people are easier to make friends with? The people are that wonderful? If I am right, Taiwan would always be on top of my list of countries to live in.
forest1979

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been an enormous amount of info written on other threads about unis in Taiwan, as a poster to this thread mentioned.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule in the uni job market but in the past 4-5 years a number of trends have been apparent:

- Persons with PhDs in hand are preferred, although some ELCs are getting around this by creating staff positions titles instructors. If you see such jobs AVOID...long hours, low pay, unmotivated students, etc. Basically these are job for locals not westerners, and ones to steer clear of.

- Publications and conference experience are certainly advantageous especially if it is in a well-known journal (check SSCI list - this is a big help in Taiwan!) or was an event organised by a well-known educational organisation. But be careful...almost any 'self-respecting' uni in Taiwan has its own conferences and even journals. These to put it simply are of very low quality. Do your homework therefore to see what you have on your CV and how it is relevant to the Taiwanese situation.

- It is better to have an postgrad qualification in education or TEFL, not to have one in literature or cultural studies, etc. The vast majority of language departments and ELC want teachers to do basic language work, not discuss the ins and outs of To Kill a Mockingbird or The Crucible.

- By and large departments/ELCs are not recruiting with the same vigour they had a few years ago, one reason being the declining birthrate and many already having too many staff. Many are not replacing teachers who leave.

- Speaking Chinese is no bad thing, most westerners dont so having Chinese language skills can be utilized to demonstrate your seriousness to survive, and stay, in the ROC.

- There are some websites that have in the past discussed jobs in the uni context. Michael Turton has a good one, others existed but have died for a variety of reasons.

- Finally, there is work available but it is not easy to get. Uni positions are seen as cushy jobs - always have - and for the hours pay quite well. One reason why people want such jobs is not because of their career development per se but because it offers huge windows of time to do private classes to boost income. Accordingly people on the island already have a massive headstart for getting jobs nowadays. So, my best bet is to flood ELCs and language departments with your availability. Often people offered job dont turn up and leave departments short of work...posting emails can mean losing nothing and gaining a lot. But in all honesty, don't be optimistic. And oh, please remember, a ELC is not a department. It is a low standing office within a uni that employs persons often to do remedial level English classes for 60-70 people at a throw. Unless you like teaching rubbish commonly designed by in-house 'experts' to non-interested bodies then think twice. But if that is your cup of tea you will love uni teaching in Taiwan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: