Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Internet Explorer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What weird little country is that? Nobody uses IE anymore except at work stations with pirated XP and others that can't grasp the concept of free. Could say that about MS in general.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Korea.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Korea for 6 years from 2000 CE and I used FF then with absolutely no problems. I only had to use IE to update MS. Now I use Ubuntu, Open Office and FF with no issues.

In fact if you search the Korean Tech forums the threads may still exist from the early 2000s about people switching to FF. Only 1 guy claimed to have a problem at all and other posters were unable to duplicate his issue. 2004 or 2005 maybe? I remember that time well. Switching to FF was one of the first steps to successfully keeping your MS virus free. With Linux at this time that is no longer an issue for me. Imagine how fast your Internet would be without layers of analytic software scanning for malware all the time. Welcome to my world. Very Happy
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statistics would tend to disagree.

For some reason (I've heard it's to do with Active-X components popular with S. Korean websites), S. Korea loves I.E., and only dumped IE6 for its younger sister in 2010.

Antivirus software doesn't slow your connection down, although on a weaker or older machine, the devotion of resources - CPU cycles and hard drive read/write operations - to scanning incoming files will have a noticeable effect on performance.

Ubuntu is a fantastic operating system, especially with Unity making it a lot friendlier to newbs. Frankly, though, I prefer the workflow with some of the tweaks provided by Compiz active.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
The statistics would tend to disagree.

For some reason (I've heard it's to do with Active-X components popular with S. Korean websites), S. Korea loves I.E., and only dumped IE6 for its younger sister in 2010.

Antivirus software doesn't slow your connection down, although on a weaker or older machine, the devotion of resources - CPU cycles and hard drive read/write operations - to scanning incoming files will have a noticeable effect on performance.

Ubuntu is a fantastic operating system, especially with Unity making it a lot friendlier to newbs. Frankly, though, I prefer the workflow with some of the tweaks provided by Compiz active.

Ubuntu is a solution for those with older machines and small HDs.

I haven't used unity much because it doesn't do 'Separate X-Screens'. I have my PC plugged into my 42" TV and I love it. I can play a game and/or watch a movie in 1080p. Compiz is fun. My young students love the effects when I use Edubuntu. I'm hoping Ubuntu 12 sees unity resolving the issue. I still use 10.10. I don't have a problem with the new interface that MS users are about to experience with MS8.

One thing I love about Ubuntu is when I have a PEBCAK or software problem it's nice to go to a forum and get solutions. Open source is clearly superior IMHO. One of these days I'll invest some time and learn some Python so I can take full advantage.

The second thing I love is the price.

AS for your those stats. The first thing I noticed when I used Ubuntu was that the Internet and overall speed were better than what I had been used to with MS. It was quite noticeable. In my experience that difference has increased up to Win 7 which is a reason why I stopped dual booting. It may be my machine of course. I'll try Win 8 when it comes out. I doubt MS will make it unavailable to non buyers. That could be a seed for people to migrate to Linux. It clearly increases their presence and the notion that MS is the only OS.

My disjointed ramblings on this Friday night. Nice to meet another Ubuntu user.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiz isn't just fun though - it has several tweaks and functions that are really helpful - annotate is great for IWBs with GTK Wiimote Whieboard. Snapping windows and the ring switcher are very useful for improving general workflow.

Dual screen seems to work just fine for me with Unity. I don't really need two separate desktops anyway, although Compiz seems to handle snapping the windows to the edge of the screen fairly well, which makes it moot. It will be fixed in 12.04.

I can't really comment on Firefox performance in Ubuntu Vs. Win7 - I use Chromium and Chrome respectively. I stopped using Firefox a while back.

In educational terms, the biggest problem with Linux is that there is little clout behind it - both MS and Apple are prepared to spend significant sums of money marketing the OS to institutions (Apple even offer educator certificates to individual teachers). Encouraging users to switch is a chicken and egg problem - if no-one's heard of the OS, they will be far more inclined to stick with what they know, which is usually Windows. Linux market share has stuck at between 1% and 2%, even with Canonical pushing it. The majority of educational software is developed for Windows (although most of EFL software is unimaginative crap anyway), as the majority of developers gravitate to platforms where they can make a living.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that in Korea, a lot of sites were optimized for IE6, however Chrome could handle those sites, while Firefox can't. I also found that the program the US State Department uses for Fulbright apps has the exact same problem: works in Chrome, not in Fx; I assume the folks in the government who designed it still use IE6.

VietCanada wrote:
I use Firefox. Almost 11 years now. I like that I can click the icon and go online immediately after installing. I noticed IE9 still has a questionnaire that must be answered before you can go online.

I'm confused. Do you mean you've been using Mozilla browsers for 11 years? Even if you adopted Phoenix (the earliest version of Fx) when it was released in September 2002, you've been using it for less then ten years.

I have also been using Firefox since before there was a Firefox, starting with Firebird in the fall of '03.

I've never used IE, except in middle school, when the school had signed an agreement with MS in which they got a discount on MS software in exchange for removing certain programs that compete with MS (such as Netscape), and on the occasional decrepit public computer.

The thing about IE is that historically (until IE7) it tried to write its own specifications that weren't compatible with W3 standards, which annoyed the "geeky types" because they had to write websites to handle both the standards and Microsoft's ego. Also, other browsers tended to be easier to use if you're tech-savvy, since IE was fairly limited in the range of features and customization it offered.

~Q
VietCanada

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:
I found that in Korea, a lot of sites were optimized for IE6, however Chrome could handle those sites, while Firefox can't. I also found that the program the US State Department uses for Fulbright apps has the exact same problem: works in Chrome, not in Fx; I assume the folks in the government who designed it still use IE6.

VietCanada wrote:
I use Firefox. Almost 11 years now. I like that I can click the icon and go online immediately after installing. I noticed IE9 still has a questionnaire that must be answered before you can go online.

I'm confused. Do you mean you've been using Mozilla browsers for 11 years? Even if you adopted Phoenix (the earliest version of Fx) when it was released in September 2002, you've been using it for less then ten years.

I have also been using Firefox since before there was a Firefox, starting with Firebird in the fall of '03.

I've never used IE, except in middle school, when the school had signed an agreement with MS in which they got a discount on MS software in exchange for removing certain programs that compete with MS (such as Netscape), and on the occasional decrepit public computer.

The thing about IE is that historically (until IE7) it tried to write its own specifications that weren't compatible with W3 standards, which annoyed the "geeky types" because they had to write websites to handle both the standards and Microsoft's ego. Also, other browsers tended to be easier to use if you're tech-savvy, since IE was fairly limited in the range of features and customization it offered.

~Q

I said almost because I wasn't sure exactly. It has been a long time. I installed Firefox shortly after it came out. I also switched to Linux the moment I heard they had an installation disc. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. I also jumped all over debit machines the moment I heard they were available in my city. That was early nineties I believe.

In each case the reward was instant and long lasting. Of course there were some issues with all three choices but the reward was much greater unlike what I replaced.

The history of these products had no bearing on my decision. They were just better products that solved problems.

Debit machines resulted in an instant, substantial increase in sales for my business but it also resulted in less cash and a record of transactions leading to higher taxes. The sales increase more than made up for it.

Firefox led to a significant drop in viral infections, faster browsing and terrific customization. It still does. IE is clumsy, slow and fixed by comparison. I like what I hear about Chrome but I didn't like it when I used it. I think it's a bit faster than Firefox though.

Linux is free, customizable and just works. The only problems I've had are when I play with the the customizable part beyond my capability or site recommendations. When this happens I go to the forums and search for a solution. I also like all the 'apps' or free software available from a single site. Updating is incredibly simple and fast.

Companies that don't make their product, website or card available to me because of my choices obviously don't need my money and don't get it. I've yet to suffer any loss or inconvenience from their myopic viewpoints.

If anything out there is really wanted by Firefox or Linux users then some coder will write something to make it available.

I think it's a shame that some sites only make themselves available to Chrome. You'd think that attitude would have died out years ago. In any event Firefox has code that makes IE exclusive sites such as MS update available so if anything out there is worthwhile I'm sure code will be added to make it available to FF users one day.

I will continue to do what I can to avoid exclusive, excluding software and hardware products. I buy it, It's mine, I control it. I can't imagine buying a car and being told where I can drive or what businesses I can shop at. Or my TV, iron etc. Why would I let a software or hardware company set those decisions for me? It's absurd.

But that's just my HO. Judging by what's going on in the smart phone market I'm not sure I have a lot of company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: