Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best country in L.A. to TEFL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best country in L.A. to TEFL?
Chile
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Colombia
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Costa Rica
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ecuador
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Mexico
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Panama
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Peru
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Uruguay
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanRossWC wrote:
I have looked into Mexico, but it seemed like the salaries were low in comparison to the rent prices and general cost of living...maybe someone can shed light on this.

No need to shed anymore light on this matter my friend. You said it all. The salaries ARE low when compared to rent and groceries. I lived and worked there for years so I know what I'm talking about.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanRossWC wrote:
Thanks for the input Guy. I am really interested in Mexico City...how have you found your work to be there?

I saw in the Mexico City vs. Bogota thread that EFLeducator experienced "low wages, students who had no respect for TEFLer's, classes cancelled every week, and no career path for a professional TEFLer. "

Does this ring true for you? It seems like investing the time and effort into networking and building your skill set would help a TEFLer advance in Mexico, just like anywhere else.

Yes, it would SEEM like the old networking approach would work but it doesn't. All it takes is one slip up, one person in that "network" getting on your badside for whatever reason and BOOM! You're out of the loop. Too much brown nosing for me personally. It's much better to make it on your own steam. That way you don't have to worry about getting on the bad side of just one person in that beautiful "network".

There's nothing wrong with making it on your own steam my friend plus you will feel better. Trust me on this one.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
The issue here is how tolerant you are to living in the developing world, and to living in a part of the developing world that considers teachers a step or 2 above maids, who tend to be treated like indentured servants.

That was my experience in Mexico City as well. A friend of mine told me the same thing about teachers being seen as a little above a maid or indentured servant. Plus, most students only study English if they need it for their job. There's no real desire nor want when it comes to learning and studying English.

spanglish wrote:
After laboring as an ESL teacher for a few years you may begin wondering why you don't have the high roller life of a 'humble' NGO worker, an oil company worker or a diplomat, most of whom within a couple of years of starting their career will be making far more than you EVER will as an ESL teacher.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
The issue here is how tolerant you are to living in the developing world, and to living in a part of the developing world that considers teachers a step or 2 above maids, who tend to be treated like indentured servants. After laboring as an ESL teacher for a few years you may begin wondering why you don't have the high roller life of a 'humble' NGO worker, an oil company worker or a diplomat, most of whom within a couple of years of starting their career will be making far more than you EVER will as an ESL teacher (okay, maybe not true for most NGO workers, but still....)

Sorry, sometimes it's frustrating to compare my salary with my successful Colombian friends who went into IT, the oil industry or have good government jobs. Their jaws drop when I tell them my salary and they assure me that I'm making 'really, really good money.' Meanwhile they are making 2, 3 or 4 times as much as me (or more!). It's just that a teacher 'doesn't deserve' to make a decent living.

naturegirl321 wrote:
I felt the same way and knew it was time to get out.

Right! Same thing happened to me in Mexico City.

naturegirl321 wrote:
Working 3 jobs, 6 days a week and being treated no better than a maid wasn't cutting it for me.

Same for me while I was in Mexico City.
JonathanRossWC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...thanks a lot naturegirl and EFLeducator for writing your experiences in Peru and Mexico.
I'm starting to get a feel for how TEFL is in Mexico and Latin America...thank you all for sharing advice on this thread and others as well.
I'm looking forward to more input from other TEFLers!

Jonathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: