Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L & B Language School in Talara, Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iron_maiden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: L & B Language School in Talara, Peru Reply with quote

I'm posting this in both the Peru forum (which seems a little devoid of patrons in recent years) and here to maximize my chances of getting some responses. Thanks!

Does anybody care to share a little bit about their experience teaching there? The house, other teachers (typical ages), boss, materials, Talara etc.

Also, was the salary anough to get by, eat decently (I'll be cooking at home), travel around Peru in your off time, and enjoy a fairly good quality of life (i.e not so broke that you could only afford to work and head straight home everyday)? And if you didn't speak Spanish initially, how quickly can you learn enough to get by?

I'm considering working there. It would be my first teaching job, but I have tons of travel and life experience. I do not, however, have any savings and would be getting by entirely on the salary. Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance for any responses! It is greatly appreciated!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also try posting on expatperu.com or livinginperu.com

I've exchanged emails with the owner a couple times over the years. Never taught there, but sistaray has. He might have some good info.

From what I gather, it's a small school. The owner is an expat, American, I think. He's married to a Peruvian.

Talara is HOT!

Pay is enough to get by on, you're not going to get rich in Peru, believe me.

Not sure about visas, most language schools in Peru don't get them.

As for learning Spanish, that's pretty individual.

Other teachers, that would depend, as teachers tend to stay for a bit, then move on.

I'd email the owner, he's very nice. YOu should be able to get by on the salary as long as you budget and don't expect to live like an expat. Bringing some savings is always a good idea though, just in case of emergencies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: