Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete newbie seeking advice from those in the know

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Complete newbie seeking advice from those in the know Reply with quote

Hello

I am a freshly minted GlobalTESOL graduate who is a little confused as to how to get started in the teaching game.

I am very interested in living and working in Vietnam, but am unsure of where I stand.

It would be useful for you to know a little about my qualifications, or perhaps lack thereof.

- 2 years of an IT degree, which I quit due to a difficult period of my life and subsequent change of direction after a long period of reflection.

- Completed TAFE Certificate level 3 in IT

- TESOL certification.

I am unsure where my qualifications place my in the teaching pecking order and I am unsure on how to properly contact schools in Vietnam.

I am aware of how recruitment works for teachers looking to work in Japan, as I applied to a couple of schools and went through the motions, but had second thoughts on my destination of choice and switched to Vietnam.

As I have spent a great deal of time browsing the excellent information provided in this forum, I am aware that schools in Vietnam do not do
their recruiting over the internet like the Japanese schools do. My question is that can you at least make contact with them and see if they will hire you if you show up CV and certs in hand?
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly try but only a few schools here have websites. And of those with websites, I think you can forget ILA and Apollo. I know it's daunting, but if you come here with your certificates, professional resume/CV, wear a tie (tied properly!), profess your desire to stay for a year or two and have a bit of enthusiasm, you'll be working within a couple weeks.
Ocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for responding.

I have some other questions as well.

1. While I have read about the cost of living in Vietnam, how much money would I need once I arrive? Let's say $1000 AUD/USD? Will that hold me over until I start working?

2. Would my lack of degree be a significant problem?

3. Is enough English understood by the locals for me to get around until I can learn some very basic Vietnamese?

4. What is the expat life like? I've read that it's quite good there.

5. Are the local girls attracted to (white) Australian guys? (Keep in mind that I'm not one of those guys who wants to travel to purely meet woman -- but I don't want to spend the year as a monk)

I've seen people cop flak for asking that last question, but I feel it's worth asking.

Thankyou
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - You can live for 6 weeks - 2 months on $1000 USD.

2 - It may be

3 - Yes

4 - It's quite nice, but get out of Pham Ngu Lao as quickly as possible.

5 - Yes, the local girls are attracted to the western white money.
Aramas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that you should try to have at least $5k seed money if you don't want to be stressing out while the clock is ticking away your survival money. If you only have $1k then you're on a very tight timeline with the only exit being the Prodigal Son routine - not a desirable option.

If you wait an extra few months and build up a healthier bank account then you widen your options. What if you don't like Vietnam? With $1k you'll be going home. With $5k you can check out Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and China, and still have enough to get set up when you find somewhere that you want to settle.

If you really want to get out of this totalitarian bureacratic nightmare that used to be Australia, then another option is to just sign up for a year in China over the internet/phone. Just fly in and it's done. You could probably arrange it this afternoon.
Micro67

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Complete newbie seeking advice from those in the know Reply with quote

Ocker wrote:
My question is that can you at least make contact with them and see if they will hire you if you show up CV and certs in hand?
E-mail a CV and a digitized photo to Steve Baker ([email protected]) and he will definitely get in touch with you.
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILA professes to hire only those with a degree and CELTA. Is that just a load of crap?
mjed9

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveJavu wrote:

5 - Yes, the local girls are attracted to the western white money.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: