Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upper age limit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 54, soon to be 55, with no ME experience and I just got a contract. I plan to stay working over there for quite some time. Don't give up.

DirtGuy
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the time limit on your contract? I suspect 2 probably 3 years? Many employers will not re-offer if you will exceed 60 years of age during the prospective contract, mainly because of medical insurance issues - not because of experience. Or, they may offer only 1 year contracts in order to limit liability.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a one year contract and with an employer many on this forum do not hold in high regard. No matter. 1 year of work puts me back on solid financial ground and starts giving me the experience I need to qualify for better jobs. If I have to eat cr*p for a year to achieve those 2 goals, then so be it. Besides, even if I can only work until I'm 60, that would put me in an infinitely better financial position than where I now find myself and cannot see any downside to such a scenario.

DirtGuy
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you as it meets your needs/expectations. The phrase "quite some time" threw me. I withdraw my comment.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millie18 wrote:
What is the time limit on your contract? I suspect 2 probably 3 years? Many employers will not re-offer if you will exceed 60 years of age during the prospective contract, mainly because of medical insurance issues - not because of experience. Or, they may offer only 1 year contracts in order to limit liability.

This may be true, but there are also many exceptions...where I work there is a chap over 70 and one approaching 70. Also a number of teachers already in their 60s. From what I understand these chaps have no intention of retiring anytime soon LOL Perhaps some private universities have more relaxed rules than Gov't institutions???
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's more contingent on the individual teacher's value to the institution as opposed to their costs. Anyone I know over 60, and like you I know some, is offered 1 year contracts only - is this based on the various MOI requirements? Is it based on health insurance clauses? Who knows? This is the GCC.
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

As for teaching exp. and academic qualifications, it would appear that I have everything that employers (esp. unis) in the M.E. are looking for.Unfortunately, due to my age (66), I am locked out from most paid positions in the region.

Anyway, what are the chances of picking up something through (legitimate) " volunteer" organisations ? Could anyone recommend any such organisations ?

Peter
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nithe to me or I will thcreem and thcreem until I am thick !

(Which fictional character used to say that !??????????)
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
We can all come up with individual exceptions. But the real question is how many teachers over 60 (or very close to 60) who apply get considered and eventually hired.

VS

I agree. I applied to this last-before-retirement job at 58 and squeezed in at 59 three years ago. My employer tends to like those over 50 with Saudi experience because such people are less likely to leave this remote area of the country after a year. So there are several of us who are my age and we can stay tiill 70 or whatever as long as we don't screw up.

Riyadh and Jeddah are bad enough! Most of our more technical, content instructors from the States usually leave after a year. So it appears our employer may hire only Pakistanis in the future for the tech positions.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Violet Elizabeth - William's nemesis Very Happy

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: