Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time do ESL teachers have on their hands?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: How much time do ESL teachers have on their hands? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about the possibility of teaching English in Taiwan. Can someone please tell me, how many hours of work do ESL teachers in Taiwan have each week? And how much time do you get for free-time (assuming you're making standard full-time salary) each day? Because full-time in Taiwan is quite a bit different than full time in the US, right?
rbos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the answer to this question?
forefit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the average is about 20-22ish hours a week. I know some people who teach 15 hours a week and make enough money to get by but have a lot of free time to do whatever. Some people work 30 hours a week who make a decent amount of $$$ but it kinda of like working a full time 40 hours a week back home. My ideal number is 25 hours a week, enough to save and enough free time to.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a university job in China. $1000-$1300 a month plus apartment and only 15 hours a week. Plus you don't have to teach kids.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you suggest that? OP has clearly stated that he is thinking of coming to Taiwan. Why not suggest he go to Prague / Tokyo / Buenos Aires??

I agree with the numbers above - 20 to 25 hours a week is typical. I'm working about 30 and making a pretty decent wage but - obviously - not so much free time.
creztor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not going to get $1000 - $1300 teaching at universities in China, at least not if it is your first time. Check the job boards and you will see that the rate is $800 - $1000 for the bulk of positions advertised.

Most teaching jobs in Taiwan will involve about 20 hours of actual teaching with some requiring you to turn up half an hour early and grade homework. I would say that you should add at least 1 hour per day you work in a cram school, so 20 hours would be about 25 hours if you worked 5 days a week. Also, some school have downtime between classes, so you will be twiddling your thumbs while waiting for your next class.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
Why would you suggest that? OP has clearly stated that he is thinking of coming to Taiwan. Why not suggest he go to Prague / Tokyo / Buenos Aires??

I agree with the numbers above - 20 to 25 hours a week is typical. I'm working about 30 and making a pretty decent wage but - obviously - not so much free time.

He said he was thinking about coming to Taiwan. Not that he had definitly made up his mind to come to China.

Last edited by JZer on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
You are not going to get $1000 - $1300 teaching at universities in China, at least not if it is your first time. Check the job boards and you will see that the rate is $800 - $1000 for the bulk of positions advertised.

Most teaching jobs in Taiwan will involve about 20 hours of actual teaching with some requiring you to turn up half an hour early and grade homework. I would say that you should add at least 1 hour per day you work in a cram school, so 20 hours would be about 25 hours if you worked 5 days a week. Also, some school have downtime between classes, so you will be twiddling your thumbs while waiting for your next class.

A native English speaker should not be working for less than 6000RMB in China=$950 US.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person should work for what the market is going to pay. You are only misleading yourself if you "think" you are worth an amount that no-one wants to pay. However, this discussion is more suited to the China forum, so I won't continue with it.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
A person should work for what the market is going to pay. You are only misleading yourself if you "think" you are worth an amount that no-one wants to pay. However, this discussion is more suited to the China forum, so I won't continue with it.

Exactly that is what the market is paying.

And please read closely, I didn't say a native speaker was worth 6000RMB a month.

There are non- native English speakers teaching English in universities in China getting 5000RMB a month.

Last edited by JZer on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A native English speaker should not be working for less than 6000RMB in China=$950 US.

Yes, how silly of me to read this as a native speaker is worth 6000RMB since that is the minimum they should work for.

Also, I agree there are no native English speakers teaching in universities in China, just like there are no white mice.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:

He said he was thinking about coming to China. Not that he had definitly made up his mind to come to China.

I think you'll find he said he was thinking of coming to Taiwan
Laughing

We know you're in China but strangely enough the world doesn't shift on its axis and begin to spin around whichever location you happen to be in ...

When you were in Taiwan it was the land of milk and honey - will we be seeing similar posts concerning China now that you are there?

Speaking of which - why are you still posting here?
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
JZer wrote:

He said he was thinking about coming to China. Not that he had definitly made up his mind to come to China.

I think you'll find he said he was thinking of coming to Taiwan
Laughing

We know you're in China but strangely enough the world doesn't shift on its axis and begin to spin around whichever location you happen to be in ...

When you were in Taiwan it was the land of milk and honey - will we be seeing similar posts concerning China now that you are there?

Speaking of which - why are you still posting here?

You really should learn to read. Did I write anywhere that I was in China? I have been there many times but I am not there now.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:

You really should learn to read.

So should you.
Your latest edit...

JZer wrote:

He said he was thinking about coming to Taiwan. Not that he had definitly made up his mind to come to China.

Confused

Seeing as you are criticizing my ability to read, I think it is only fair to point out that using 'come to' in conjunction with a location implies that the speaker (or writer) is in that location.

If you are not in China, then a more accurate sentence would have been.
'Not that he had definitly (sic) made up his mind to go to China'

As regards your current location - you're right I didn't notice your current location was listed as Russia and made the assumption that you had gone to China because - well - that's where you told everyone on this forum that you were going...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: