Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone teaching in Barranquilla?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visionaria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at a Colegio in Barranquilla. I don't want to mention which one, but you definitely need the certifications if you want to teach at a top tier bilingual school in Barranquilla. The 2nd tier to 3rd, even if they hire foreigners, would not pay enough for you to live well or even decent here. The cost of living is not that cheap. You would probably have to live somewhere in the South of Barranquilla, which most gringos could not handle.

I agree that where there is a will, there's a way, but in mind, that way requires more schooling and certifications.

Gregorio & others who have advice,
I've just started reviewing this thread and info on Colombia. Forgive me, but could you please tell me how a Colegio differs from a language school and a university? Is it a high school or closer to a community college in the U.S.?
I taught English in Japan about 10 years ago. Recently completed my CELTA in Ecuador. And also recently took a position at a university in Ecuador. However, my goal (after my year in Ecuador is up) is to move to Colombia to teach ESL there. I'd like to work in a university since I have my masters (not in ESL but in College Admin focus: Int'l Education).

I thought of going to Colombia to look for work in person since I heard (esp from Colombians I met in Ecuador) that it's best to knock on doors in person or to make connections, but this job in Ecuador kind of fell into my lap. I thought getting a year of uni teaching experience could probably only help me find work later in Colombia. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Can anyone speak to the teaching opportunities in Medellin? I realize Bogota may have to be the best place to land work, but I'm also keen to look elsewhere (mainly for weather reasons. I like sunshine Smile Does it rain as much in Bogota as in Seattle?) say in Medellin, Cartegena, Barranquilla, possibly Cali.

I'd be open to starting off in a language school or colegio (if they don't all require teaching degrees) just to keep the experience going while I make contacts with local universities for work.

Again, any thoughts greatly appreciated.

FYI, I'm a woman. I just noticed gender has come up in some Colombia discussions, so thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks!
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colegio is a Spanish word. It means a K-12 school. A language school is a for-profit institute.

In time, you'll probably be able to get on with a university in Colombia, but I'm skeptical about how much your masters degree will help you.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend working at a University in Colombia (she is a local) and she asked about a job for me and they told her that Id just need some experience in a school, like a semester or years worth. So a BA and some experience should be able to get you on, but knowing people helps.
visionaria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spanglish & CarolinaTH.

Spanglish, can you please elaborate "in time" I should be able to get on with a university? Do you think I need to start in a colegio (what are the qualifications needed to teach in one? and what is the pay and hours like in comparison to unis and language schools?) first before I could get a job in a university? So, are masters not as much of a big deal in obtaining jobs as in Ecuador? That is, in Ecuador, one with a masters at the uni level gets paid more than one without.

CarolinaTH, in what city does your friend work in a university? How does your friend suggest one going about applying for uni teaching positions.

For anyone, is the weather in Bogota similar to that in Seattle? Gray and rainy most of the time?

Thanks!
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visionaria,

In time ie with the needed experience and connections. You can also add sheer luck to that also.

If you dont have any relevant experience in a school (colegio or university) than yes you will prob be suited starting in a colegio. That shouldnt stop you from looking and trying to obtain a University position though.

Colegios are typically 7am-4pm jobs. With substantially more work and stress than a Institute or University. Typical pay would be like 2.5 mil. Having a masters would certainly look good for University positions.

The town my friend is in is Girardot. Not sure what the best way to go about getting a Uni job but id imagine it would be like any other job. IE knowing people in said establishment and simply going there in person looking sharp and speaking to the person in charge and handing in your CV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: