Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legalities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Legalities Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a clear answer to this question please ?
As a UK citizen wishing to live and work in the Czech Republic , what legal documents will I need beyond my EU passport .
Will I need to take out private medical insurance , and will I need any other documents or permission to stay in the country beyond 90 days , must I inform the foreign police ? . Thanks .
Kofola

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to be aware of is that you have to register with the police within 30 days of arriving if you intend to stay any longer than 30 days. You only need your passport and to fill out a form to do this. If you don't do it, you can be fined.

If you are working, then you can stay longer than 90 days.

If not, it seems, you have to acquire a residency permit. In which case you need the health insurance and your UK passport. The other things eg. proof of accommodation can be obtained in CR.

A word of caution. In my case, which I hasten to add is in the Slovak Republic, the police insisted that I had to apply for a permit if I wanted to stay longer than 90 day, even though I was working. I decided not to disagree with them Very Happy EU law isn't always correctly transposed and interpretations vary depending on who is dealing with your case. Sometimes it's easier just to play along. It was pretty clear from some of the conversations going on around me at the police station that in my region, EU citizens were being told to get residency. I've heard reports of similar patchiness in CR.
Moto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Legalities Reply with quote

Thank you Kofola . The reason I posted my question here was because I have heard different stories from people who I talked to the last time I was in Prague . one person says one thing , and another says something else , including government officials who I would expect to know the answer .
So to be on the safe side , when I arrive back in Prague this time I will certainly visit the foreign police and also arrange medical insurance . Thank you for your response .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: