Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever use this textbook?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssjup81

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever use this textbook? Reply with quote

Hi there. As I mentioned in one of the other threads, I was offered a position at an eikaiwa and took it. I found out that they use a book series called Let's Go! Has anyone ever used this text or know if it's a decent one? The only English text I've worked with (when working for Heart) was New Horizon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was available for use in an eikaiwa I once worked at, but the young learners there were generally so obnoxious and badly behaved (often due to very wide age ranges within each class) that getting them to do anything, let alone crack open a textbook, was quite a tall order. Plus IIRC the teacher guides were either in short supply or missing/non-existent, making it hard to know quite how to use the books, which seemed to have almost zero text in them, being composed mainly of water-coloury pastel-hued illustrations of kids poring over pencil case contents or going off into fields to fly kites or sniff glue or whatever. Generally I thought they looked quite arid, boring, useless almost, but a poster called Sally Olsen over on the Teacher Discussion forums seems to have sworn by them, so she perhaps she knows something that I missed.
Christian St.Bacon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Let's Go 1/2/3/4/5/6......... Reply with quote

Actually thought it was quite a good book for young learners - the different levels all come with their own boxes of small picture cards - plenty of presentation and drilling work can be done with them and more importantly, a whole load of fun production activities.....with the kids especially lively fun and interactive games, depending on your delivery - an ok book/plenty to work on and supplement...

Shukran 'ganbarimasu' very much......
Very Happy Laughing Wink

Isn't New Horizon for teenagers and Let's Go, I'm sure is really only for Young Learners
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume that New Horizon is for the older children. I worked in a JHS before returning home last year, and that's what they used.

Thanks for the advice guys on the book. I hope that I'll be able to use it effectively.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan it's often much easier to assume that the textbook is going to be terrible and won't match the students' levels at all.

It might be a bit harsh but I've found it to be true for around 70% of the textbooks I've used.
move

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good book. If it's from Oxford or Cambridge you know it's going to be decent.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use this textbook? Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
I found out that they use a book series called Let's Go! Has anyone ever used this text or know if it's a decent one?
To my knowledge, Let�s Go! is based around / heavily influenced by the ideas of Ritsuko Nakata and her MAT Method. (MAT stands for Model Action Talk.) If you want to get the best out of her books, go to her seminars.

I�ve attended them, and my overall impression is that they combine excellent practice with appalling theory, and a strange, almost cult-like belief that their principles and practices are unique. It really confirmed my sense that Japan is the Galapagos of English Teaching!

The practical side is a well-thought-out suite of techniques that emphasise effective, rapid oral drills; fluency; rapid error correction; and techniques to overcome the specific problems that Japanese kids have.

The theoretical stuff is pure pop-psychobabble. I suspect Mrs. Nakata learnt most of her psychology from The Reader's Digest back in the 80s. She favors extreme versions of the theories of multiple intelligence, and of lateralization of brain function.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that eikaiwa's library had had the teacher guides and card sets then (assuming they weren't hidden away somewhere), as I might've learnt something. As it was the books alone seemed quite useless. (My suspicion is however still that even the full MAT method probably isn't as interesting or fun as what the average teacher can come up with themselves, given enough time and effort. I really didn't bother much at that eikaiwa though, because as I say the kids were so spoilt and ghastly!).
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
My suspicion is however still that even the full MAT method probably isn't as interesting or fun as what the average teacher can come up with themselves, given enough time and effort.
It�s a little robotic, for sure, but there�s a lot that�s useful for the below average, the busy, and the lazy. (Or, in my case, all three.)

Mrs. Nakata�s core market is the Japanese housewife who speaks English pretty well, and whose friend has dropped a few private classes into her lap. She has zero training and minimal experience, but she is keenly aware that the kids aren�t actually learning how to speak English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: