Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current wages
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Current wages Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=89920

In reference to the scam thread above, it might be useful and interesting to know what the current hourly wage range might be for teachers with basic quals (say, CELTA and a year of experience somewhere).

Input, please?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I'm betting quite a lot that it's rather less than 70/hour Very Happy
westbrook1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in London now and can assure you, mate, that this is NOT the place to come if you want to teach English. Rates go as low as 7.50 an hour, but some times good (good for London, that is) jobs pop up. There is one now for 25K, which is barely enough to live on. Most jobs list the salary as 'competitive' without giving a number, which means it's low. And if you know anything about UK salaries in general, you'll know that they're disgustingly low for such a wealthy state with an extremely high COL. 15k annually is the average of what you'll pull in, with the ability to get some more if you have a role that requires other admin duties (like the 25K job above).

But this is not the place to come unless you have to. Even outside of London salaries for esl just aren't very good. It makes it more or less impossible to live here. I love London to death but it's a city catered for the f'ing wealthy.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no plans to come teach in the UK, no worries!

The inquiry was in reference to some scammer who's trying to claim that he needs to import an English tutor from Canada or the US because UK teachers are asking for 70 quid/hour. Shocked

By the way, entry-level wages in North America are similarly shockingly low. Burger-flipping low.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Russia! Streets paved with gold.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come to Russia! Streets paved with gold.

Oh, I know. I'll be back asap Cool
westbrook1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to go to Russia. salaries there are low as well, though, right? seems like the only places where you can make decent cash (as a beginner that is) are over in asia.
fdmi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

�15/hr should be average, which is not great. Often unpaid breaks, etc. so if you get 30 hours a week it's.....ok. If you get less then, obviously not so.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Ignore this, I thought I was in the general European forum, no wonder why all these topics are about United Kingdom......dumb moment sorry.
harveydent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bournemouth schools were paying around �12/hour for newbie CELTA teachers in 2010 when I was there. Not sure if it's gone up much. A great deal of the work on offer is short-term and seasonal, which is fine if you're only making a pit-stop.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But for all those people saying how grim UK TEFLing is, there will be many more flocking to summer schools in a few months time. What is all that about?

I must admit I was offered a job at a summer school somewhere in Sussex in 2002. I took one look at the accommodation on offer and the other teachers I'd be working with for two weeks and walked away. I even chose to stay one night at a cost of �75 (in 2002) in a Brighton hotel rather than stay a second longer in summer school hell.

If I remember, the wages for two weeks of entertaining kids would have totalled �400. For the sake of what little sanity I had left back then, I ran away.

What baffled me more than anything, though, were the other teachers. For the rest of the year, they'd been in Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc, and come the summer when they should have been lazing on an Algarve beach or slumped in an Andalucian tapas bar, they were babysitting rugrats in Sussex. Why oh why? If that's TEFLing in Europe, I'd go elsewhere or do another job altogether.
barabbas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to save 2 grand teaching in a UK summer school. That can translate well into some economies. Not all the operators are cowboys, but from my experience they all have the qualities of seasonal employers.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a 'multi-cultural' area. Seems some small start ups are appearing doing teaching/exam for the basic english/citizenship exam needed to extend visas, etc. One is offering between �8 to �15 although they don't say (probably don't know yet) how many hours teaching they can offer.

Another wants a part time 'Academic Manager', and 'teachers' who don't need any qualifications as they will be trained (!!). All companies advertising slave labour jobs now use the term "meets the national minimum wages requirements" - and they offer this. I think it's �5.90?

The local council are advertising for casual teachers of ESOL and are offering �20 an hour - I think you may be classed as self employed.

Sasha - I would have to questions your state of sobriety when you were faced down on that pavement and thought it was made of gold.....
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mikalina

Hic! Compared to what you've just described in the UK, minimum wages etc., the streets of Moscow are indeed paved with gold : )

Sasha
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barabbas wrote:
It's not hard to save 2 grand teaching in a UK summer school. That can translate well into some economies. Not all the operators are cowboys, but from my experience they all have the qualities of seasonal employers.

Two grand? Pounds? You must be joking! Unless perhaps you live like a hermit and survive on cucumber sandwiches. I have to agree with Sharter that it's very sad if TEFLers have to return to a summer school in the UK rather than enjoy a holiday somewhere. What is the world coming to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: