Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MATESOL lead to decent positions in M.E.?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, VS, you are right. Were I 40 or 45 or even 50, I'd sign on the dotted line for USC in a heartbeat. Now, it's a more difficult decision. My plan is to see if there are any teachers still working after 60, try to find out what has kept them in their jobs, and then make a decision at that time.

Dirt Guy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a number of teachers around the Gulf who are past 60. They are at some of the better employers and as long as they can handle the job and stay healthy, contracts are usually renewed.

VS
kona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently doing my MA TESOL at Central Washington University in Eastern Washington State. If you can post up here long enough to get residency (and I think there are residency discounts from neighboring states), you can get a pretty good deal on the degree. I'll pay, after all is through, just shy of 10k and you can dial it out in one year. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Also, if you get an assistantship, they pay all your tuition and you work in the English department part time, and they give you a stipend to live off of ($900 a month, which is doable in Ellensburg). That plan makes it take two years. Check it out, it may be worth it. PM me for details.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find any information about their Assistantships for an MA in ESL on their website and was unable to find it. Could you post a link?

Many could be interested...

VS
kona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure thing VS, http://www.cwu.edu/~english/undergrad.php?prog=taship

and in case anyone is wondering here's a link to the program itself http://www.cwu.edu/~english/undergrad.php?prog=TESOL

It falls under MA English which means masters in literature and TESOL can apply for it. Not a bad deal but from what I hear they work you HARD! But hey free tuition (if you have residency) and a stipend, all in all its a steal.

also, they have a great education department (k-12 bilingual and TEFL), so if anyone wants to be overqualified or teach youngns' instead, there's that route too...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kona...

This is a great way to get that MA and not finish it with a pile of student loans to pay off. I got my MA in TEFL at the American University in Cairo, and while it was hard work taking classes, teaching 10 hours a week, and fitting in all the student tours around Egypt (Cool), it was the best decision that I ever made.

And the program seems to emphasize the teaching of writing more than most and you finish it with 2 years of experience teaching writing, which is perfect for the Middle East.

How long does it take to establish residency for the program? Do you know?

VS
kona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just takes one year of living in washington state, I only had 1.5 years of living in Washington and that was enough. If you don't have residency and you get an assistantship, I think they pay half your tuition and give you the stipend; the rest you could pay with student loans for the first year, and then nothing the second.

Also, no matter what state you live in I would just check the graduate websites of all the universities in your state, especially the ones that are more out in the boonies; they tend to not advertise much (cwu didn't at all, but its such a tiny department I'm not surprised) but can offer substantial savings on tuition. Just two hours away in seattle is UW, which charges a hell of a lot more than CWU. (btw, they don't have an MA TESOL program either).

Yea, I hear you on the debt. I have 30k and today thats not an unreasonable amount, although it feels like more than it should it be (I've got friends who have over 100k Shocked )

AUC seems like a great gig too, although I never checked it out. For those with experience and a high tolerance for political instability it might still be a worthwhile venture as well...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona wrote:
AUC seems like a great gig too, although I never checked it out. For those with experience and a high tolerance for political instability it might still be a worthwhile venture as well...

Actually I managed to get it with no experience - or only my "Student Teaching" from about 20 years previous. And the political instability is a new problem that will likely hang around for a few more years now. Crying or Very sad

VS
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion and great details from kona. I'm from Washington State, so Central's program looks very interesting to me.

Just a quick note - the University of Washington actually does have a masters in ESL program. I have a good friend who did it and currently teaches at a community college in western Washington. Here is the link to the program. http://depts.washington.edu/englgrad/MATESL.html

I definitely agree that a place like Central Washington University makes a lot more sense than going to the University of Washington.
kona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Great discussion and great details from kona. I'm from Washington State, so Central's program looks very interesting to me.

Just a quick note - the University of Washington actually does have a masters in ESL program. I have a good friend who did it and currently teaches at a community college in western Washington. Here is the link to the program. http://depts.washington.edu/englgrad/MATESL.html

I definitely agree that a place like Central Washington University makes a lot more sense than going to the University of Washington.

Hey spanglish, never knew you were from Washington, if I ever make it down to Colombia I'll have to hit you up for a drink...

Anyways, personally, if money was no object and I had known that UW had a similar program (I don't know how I missed that, but thanks for the link), I'd have done that in a heart beat; I love Seattle. Also, there's a much larger and more diverse demographic of international students in Seattle which also is a plus. UW does offer assisantships too that cover all tuition but if you don't get it, then your tuition is going to be about $1,600 more per quarter than CWU, which is a bummer. Also, their program takes 6 quarters it says, while CWU only takes 3-4. In addition, rent is significantly cheaper here in eastern Washington.

Oh and FYI, one interesting thing about CWU (and I thought the ME forum would especially find this interesting) is the loads of Saudi kids here; I mean its the biggest demographic of international students by far! So if your goal is the middle east than this is not a bad place to make connections, especially in the Magic Kingdom. Personally, I think I need to get some experience under my belt before I head on out to the big desert. Spanglish, just out of curiosity, which CC does your friend work at?

VS, I think I remember you saying on another thread that you did get into AUC with hardly any experience but that was far from the norm for your class; have you heard from recent graduates about AUC about what their application process is like, what their program is like, if it has changed since you were there, etc? That would be an interesting topic as well...
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona, PM sent. I'm originally from about 2 hours north of Seattle.

Interesting about Saudi students in small city, rural Eastern Washington Ellensburg. I met some Saudi students in Seattle over Christmas break. Maybe they could help me get palanca/wasta/inside connections for working in the Middle East.

I'll have to check out the assistanships, at the UW. To be honest though, I'm not sure I could go back to the US for a full 2 years at this point to get my masters in ESL, only to head back out abroad again. It does sound like a great option for an American, though.
kona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:

I'll have to check out the assistanships, at the UW. To be honest though, I'm not sure I could go back to the US for a full 2 years at this point to get my masters in ESL, only to head back out abroad again. It does sound like a great option for an American, though.

It all depends on what your career goals are. If you are going to do ESL long term, I'd say its definitely worth it, but if you have other career interests, then I'm sure there are other opportunities in Colombia and Washington. I'd talk about it more but this might not be the appropriate forum for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: