Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RECIPE SWAP THREAD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: RECIPE SWAP THREAD Reply with quote

To continue the idea of the "indian food" thread....mods feel free to sticky if this catches on!

I will start us off:

POTATOES IN YOGURT SAUCE

DESCRIPTION: Veggie dish that combines creamy with spicy. New baby potatoes recommended. Fairly healthy, has around 200 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving.

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS:

12-16 new potatoes, halved
275gr natural low fat yogurt
300 ml water
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cilantro powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
2 fresh chillies, sliced (any kind really)

PROCEDURE:

1. Boil potatoes in salted water with their skins on until they are just tender, then drain and set aside.

2. Mix yogurt, water, tumeric, chili powder, ground cilantro, ground cumin, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the cumin seeds (white ones if you can get them).

4. Reduce heat, stir in the yogurt mixture and cook for about 3-5 minutes on medium heat.

5. Add fresh cilantro, chillies and cooked potatoes. Blend everything together and cook for further 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6. Bob's your uncle, enjoy!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BEST SALMON ANYWHERE!

Ingredients:

250g piece (not fillet or steak) of salmon per person (skin on)
Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins is the original & best!)
Freshly ground pepper
Mixed dried herbs (Hierbas Finas or Italianas)
Olive oil in spray

Method:

1. Put oven to heat to 210�C
2. Wash salmon and dry with kitchen paper
3. Brush top with Worcestershire sauce
4. Liberally grind pepper on top
5. Sprinke herbs to taste
6.Very lightly spray griddle or frying pan with oil & heat until smoking
7. Fry top side 3 mins, quickly seal open sides while turning
8. Fry skin side 3 mins
9. Put in pre-heated oven 5 mins
10. Serve with buttered new potatoes with dill, and creamed spinach

Cooking with skin on helps to retain the juices of the fish. I can honestly say that I've eaten salmon in many good restaurants, and it has never been as good as this recipe that I developed by trial and error.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could fresh tuna be used in place of salmon Phil? Without any skin could it just be sealed in a hot pan to maintain the juices?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
Could fresh tuna be used in place of salmon Phil? Without any skin could it just be sealed in a hot pan to maintain the juices?

I've never tried it with tuna so I don't know if the result would be the same. I've tried it with and without the skin, and it's definitely better with. As it's so juicy, it slides off the skin very well - no sticking.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIMPLE PIZZA AZTECA

If you've ever been to Gino's Restaurant in D.F. you may know this one, although I often take something I like and adapt it, so this is my version (and Gino's no longer makes it)!

INGREDIENTS:

Pizza base
500g of Cuitlacoche
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
one quarter onion, finely chopped
1 sprig of epazote (ask in the market for the min. you can buy)
1 chile serrano (very finely chopped, discard veins and seeds)
1 roll of goat's cheese
Enough grated manchego or cheddar cheese for topping

METHOD:

1. Fry the onion until it starts to soften
2. Add the finely chopped chile
3. Add the finely chopped garlic (if done earlier it gets bitter)
4. Add the cuitlacoche, mix with the other ingredients and cook until soft
5. A few minutes before the mix is ready, add the whole sprig of epazote and mix into the cuitlacoche.
6. Arrange the cuitlacoche mix evenly on pizza base.
7. Crumble the goat's cheese evenly on top
8. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly on top.
9. Cook in oven until the base is cooked.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I make from time to time for a break from Mexican...

A French beef dip sandwich

1.5 kg of whatever cut of beef you like
2 cups water
1/2 cup soya sauce
tsp rosemary
tsp thyme
2 diced garlic cloves or tsp of dried garlic powder
a bay leaf
a few whole peppercorns

Break out the slow cooker...everything goes in, cook on high for 5-6 hours. Separate beef and broth, shred beef and serve on small baguettes or sandwich rolls. Put the broth into small bowls for dipping.

----------------------------------

Anyone have a good salsa mix they'd like to share?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggie burgers--as mentioned in another thread.

I used to make veggie burgers using the dried textured soy protein (carne de soya) you can find at all the naturalistas all over the country. Then I found out that something like 90% of the soy grown in North America is GMO so I stopped. But if anyone wants to use that--you would just hydrate it and make patties as in any of the follow three recipes.

If you do eat soy, here's a tofu one. I made this once and liked it--but out here in the hinterland, I don't have a reliable source for tofu. This is a great option if you are looking for something that is EGG free as well as meatless.

Tofu burgers.

350 grams of tofu
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium onion finely diced
2 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoons of soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
150 grams of bread crumbs

buns and fixin's to your taste.

Let the tofu drain on paper towels for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile brown the onions and garlic. Smash the drained tofu in a bowl adding the fried onions and garlic, cumin and bread crumbs. Add the soy sauce little by little until you get a texture that is not too wet. You can use a blender or mixer if you like. Refridgerate the paste for at least 20 minutes,
Wet your hands and form the patties. Fry in olive oil

Vegitable burgers.
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of unflavored instant oatmeal (you can course grind whole oats in the blender to subsitute.)
1 finely diced meduim onion
1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh parsely
2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon of ground chile piquin
1 egg
1/3 cup of flour (I use amaranth flour as there is wheat in the bun)

Mix everything into a large bowl. Form into patties and fry (or these bake well too.)

Garbanzo patties!

We makes these almost once a week we love them so much. Sometimes as "meat"balls served like Mexican albondigas in a caldillo rojo. Sometimes as tortitas, and sometimes as burgers. Love the nutty taste.

1/2 kilo of garbanzos, cooked and pealed.
1/2 a cup of chopped parsley
1/4 cup of finely diced onions
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 egg
bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the garbanzos, cumin, parsley and onions in the blender until you get a smooth paste. (You may have to add a bit of water.) Beat an egg white until it gets stiff, then mix in the yolk, then mix in the garbanzo paste. Form into the size and shape you want, then cover in bread crumbs and fry.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am making that veggie burger recipe tonight! It sounds good just reading it. Gave up red meat for Lent (not that much of a sacrifice, since I don't really care for it that much anyway) and really planning on going veggie completely within the next few months. Now, shrimp, that will be a little harder to give up.
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Swiss chard (acelgas) Reply with quote

We have a very diverse household right now, with two vegans, one vegetarian, two sort-of primal eaters and one standard Mexican.

The one food everyone agrees on is vegetables.

I didn�t use to like Swiss chard much, ate it only because it was good for me, but with this recipe, everybody eats it because it�s tasty.

Ingredients:
Swiss chard (acelgas)
olive oil
onion, cut into strips
garlic, chopped
red wine vinegar
oregano
salt
(optional: crumbled bacon or bacon-flavoured soy bits)

Wash the Swiss chard very well to remove any sand and soil. Heat oil in large frying pan (cast iron pan if you have one). The amount depends on how much oil you like to cook with�anything from a few drops to several tablespoonfuls. Start frying the onion. Add the garlic shortly before adding the Swiss chard.
Meanwhile, cut the Swiss chard stems into about 1.5-cm long sections, and add them to the pan. Saut�, stirring frequently, for a few minutes, until the stems start to soften.
Meanwhile, cut the leaves into strips. Add them to the pan and continue stirring.
When the leaves are wilted and soft (it doesn�t take long), sprinkle a spoonful or two of oregano over top and continue to stir until mixed. Salt to taste. Sprinkle over a little bit of red wine vinegar (a couple teaspoons) and stir in. Serve sprinkled with bacon or faux bacon if you want.
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Acelgas Reply with quote

I do something similar but use water to steam them instead of oil. The thing I also do is chop up the white stems and cook them for about 15 minutes first with alll the other ingredients and then add the leaves just for the last five minutes so that they don't wilt into mush.
DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Swiss chard (acelgas) Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:

Ingredients:
Swiss chard (acelgas)
olive oil
onion, cut into strips
garlic, chopped
red wine vinegar
oregano
salt
(optional: crumbled bacon or bacon-flavoured soy bits)

Wash the Swiss chard very well to remove any sand and soil. Heat oil in large frying pan (cast iron pan if you have one). The amount depends on how much oil you like to cook with�anything from a few drops to several tablespoonfuls. Start frying the onion. Add the garlic shortly before adding the Swiss chard.
Meanwhile, cut the Swiss chard stems into about 1.5-cm long sections, and add them to the pan. Saut�, stirring frequently, for a few minutes, until the stems start to soften.
Meanwhile, cut the leaves into strips. Add them to the pan and continue stirring.
When the leaves are wilted and soft (it doesn�t take long), sprinkle a spoonful or two of oregano over top and continue to stir until mixed. Salt to taste. Sprinkle over a little bit of red wine vinegar (a couple teaspoons) and stir in. Serve sprinkled with bacon or faux bacon if you want.

Thanks for this one. I'm having a hard time finding recipes for greens that my kids'll eat. Hopefully this will do the trick.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb

I've found that with kids (my own or nieces and nephews) the key to greens is the size. I think they don't like the texture of chewing up a large leaf. I chop up spinach, chard (or kale when I can find it), as finely as I possibly can and they eat it. Often without even batting an eye. I think they think it's an herb or something that way.
Do you know Mexican sopa caldosa? It's the local kid staple--a kind to Mac N Cheese, something the local kids will always eat. I put finely chopeed acelgas in it. No kid has ever refused to eat it. You can do that with any soup.
We make pizza most Sundays and I put down the sauce then I put finely chopped spinach down on top of the sauce followed by the other ingrediates. The kids don't even know it's there.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've found that with kids (my own or nieces and nephews) the key to greens is the size.

Baby grape-sized tomatoes work with my daughter, but regular sized slices don't.

I manage to hide a fair amount of acelga or spinach in baked pasta dishes for her, though she surprised me the other day when I served her a fresh spinach salad and she ate all the spinach leaves first! Being baby spinach leaves might have helped.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread! I have made two of the recipes so far (yogurt potatoes and veggie burgers) and both were very good. I served the veggie burgers with rajas (home-made and chipotle mayo, left out the piquin from the recipe because I didn't have any on hand).

Melee, kale is super easy to grown and very prolific. I am going to the US next month, will bring you some seeds if you want. Yeah, I know, I am a smuggler. I had some last year, but ran out of seeds, so didn't have any this year. I like the texture better than acelgas, and since I am growning it myself I know it is clean, unlike spinach, which I have a healthy of. (or would that be of which I have a healthy fear??).
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love some kale seeds.

We have a woman at the market from a little village upstream from our city, who we buy all our lettuce, spinach, from. We know they are watered with clean water. She also says she uses no chemical fertilizer, but we just have to trust her on that. She also grows broccoli and watercress seasonally, and picks wild quelites in season. So maybe I will share some kale seeds with her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: