Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money is not everything . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricCC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

Money is not everything . . . but . . .

I am looking to come to the Middle East in the summer of 2013. My MA in TEEL will be complete by that time and I will have been working in English Education for over 8 years (including two years of univeristy in Korea).

In all honesty . . . I'm in over my head with student loans and mortgage payments back home. I've had a few contacts over the years with people working in the kingdom who were making really nice incomes. However, I've lost touch with them.

Anyone know of good companies or organizations to apply to? I hope to make 4K USD a month, have housing paid, and work with students who take some ownership over their learning. I come to work ready to teach and am more than willing to adjust to any new company / organization (I'm teachable despite having "experience").

Thanks in advance for any help you offer.

Eric
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

EricCC wrote:

But you've been ripped off in nearly every Tefl job you've ever had and paid paltry wages to the extent that you are now forced to set up home in a religious police state.

I hear ya.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerky:

I hope you stay prolific in your posting after getting there and starting work bud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricCC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Money Mistakes and Time to Change My Life Reply with quote

I've made some money mistakes . . . but now it's time to earn more and be more responsible with my money. The middle East seems to have some jobs available and I would like to give it a real go.

I'm still very open minded towards Saudi Arabia and there may be other countries in the region I'd like to see / work in before I am done.

Eric
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Money Mistakes and Time to Change My Life Reply with quote

EricCC wrote:
I'm still very open minded

Bully for you.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
I hope you stay prolific in your posting after getting there and starting work bud.

Possibly not.

I am at a bit of a loose end at the moment. Laughing

It's the final countdown ...
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

TQLS Kuwait, once you get the MA, BAe Saudi, CCL Recruitment for Aramco through HAK, UTG Libya. Try those. It's all about the money...the students are hit and miss.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
TQLS Kuwait, once you get the MA, BAe Saudi, CCL Recruitment for Aramco through HAK, UTG Libya. Try those. It's all about the money...the students are hit and miss.

Nice.
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAe Systems and Aramco only with MA?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

EricCC wrote:
, and work with students who take some ownership over their learning.

Eric

Any takers? Please let me know where in Saudi Arabia that might be, or for that matter where in the Gulf?
cmp45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
EricCC wrote:

Eric

Any takers? Please let me know where in Saudi Arabia that might be, or for that matter where in the Gulf?

Yes, it is doubtful you will find many students anywhere in the Gulf that even take 'some' owner ship over their learning.
Students, who 'consistently' take responsibility for their learning are rare indeed. Although you may come across a few every once in a while, they are indeed rare.
EricCC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

cmp45 wrote:
Gulezar wrote:
EricCC wrote:

Eric

Yes, it is doubtful you will find many students anywhere in the Gulf that even take 'some' owner ship over their learning.
Students, who 'consistently' take responsibility for their learning are rare indeed. Although you may come across a few every once in a while, they are indeed rare.

I think of ownership as being fairly attentive in class, completing homework, and not disturbing the class. I was a high school teacher in the US and have no interest in managing student behavior like I used to.

My point, I guess, is not that I want "perfect learners." Just learners who have some vested interest in behaving like a student.

Thanks for the feedback.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to teach them how to do it.

An environment where everyone is motivated to learn something new evey hour....not just language.....but language is the focus so do it through the target language.....it can be tedious and leaps should be in small steps....but it is achievable.....before you retire with 500k$ in the bank.
EricCC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraman111 wrote:
You have to teach them how to do it.

An environment where everyone is motivated to learn something new evey hour....not just language.....but language is the focus so do it through the target language.....it can be tedious and leaps should be in small steps....but it is achievable.....before you retire with 500k$ in the bank.

How about this for a question: What kind of environments have people found to be most satisfying working in SAR? Universities? What about the corporate jobs teaching adults in the oil industry? I don't plan on ever working with kids again.
Dominic-Pax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Money is not everything . . . Reply with quote

EricCC wrote:

I am looking to come to the Middle East in the summer of 2013. My MA in TEEL will be complete by that time and I will have been working in English Education for over 8 years (including two years of univeristy in Korea).

In all honesty . . . I'm in over my head with student loans and mortgage payments back home. I've had a few contacts over the years with people working in the kingdom who were making really nice incomes. However, I've lost touch with them.

Anyone know of good companies or organizations to apply to? I hope to make 4K USD a month, have housing paid, and work with students who take some ownership over their learning. I come to work ready to teach and am more than willing to adjust to any new company / organization (I'm teachable despite having "experience").

Thanks in advance for any help you offer.

Eric

I am currently in the KSA. I spent several years teaching at universities in South Korea. You will make more money here, but the learners in South Korea are amazingly better. Ownership and learning do not collocate with Saudi Arabian students. Please knock that out of your head right away.

I recommend trying to get in to a university that requires an MA -- no recruiters or contract companies.

Do not get your hopes up too high with Saudi Arabia. In the end, the lifestyle in South Korea is much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: