Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should i work for WALL ST PARIS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Should i work for WALL ST PARIS Reply with quote

Just recieved information about working with Wall st , Paris from tefl news.

I am a teacher with 4 years experience and a CELTA and 1st degree. I got my Celta last march and have been unemployed since then. I am very angry and frustrated with this! After my CELTA i visited over 14 schools in Krakow and they did not want anybody before August. I emailed at least 26 schools in krakow - same answer if they answered at all! Which led me to the visit just mentioned - apparently some countries need to see your face and not an email.

So here i am contemplating a job with Wall St. Whats it like working with them? I am 45 years old and wonder if they are a good bet in this economic downturn. I might just throw in the towel and go to China again. I have had to move in with my elderly mother in UK and i know when she passes away her council house will return to the council and on to another family and i will have a huge logistical problem with my stuff stored there so a job with the potential of a new base would be a good idea.

I have usually worked with government schools with exception of summer school and once with the horrible Shane franchise - not again. I was recently told in UK that i would need a police clearance check for every country i have been to regardless if i was working or not. Meaning a trip to London and visits to each embassy in question. Or multiple phone calls! Just for the privilege of ESOL in the UK! Cue maniacle laugh ha ha

Sorry for rant any shared experiences welcome.
katers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know anything about wall st paris (I am also interested in working for them so would like the same information!)

BUT.... if you are still thinking about Krakow... if you turn up there round about NOW... you will almost 100% certainly find work there for this academic year. now is the time the schools are recruiting. july is not a good time to find work in krakow. i arrived there in september last year and found work almost straight away. AND the pay is better than in paris.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish i had read this post sooner. forgot all about the Wall st post Sad its now october would they still be recruiting you think?

katers wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know anything about wall st paris (I am also interested in working for them so would like the same information!)

BUT.... if you are still thinking about Krakow... if you turn up there round about NOW... you will almost 100% certainly find work there for this academic year. now is the time the schools are recruiting. july is not a good time to find work in krakow. i arrived there in september last year and found work almost straight away. AND the pay is better than in paris.
rieursanglier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: wsi paris Reply with quote

Hi
From speaking to teachers who have worked in Paris, there seem to be two main points to raise. The first is that you will be expected to work in or for several centres as they are often all franchised to the same person. Secondly, the couple of teachers I interviewed from these centres were incapable of achieving even fifty percent on a basic grammar check, and were necessarily sent packing. To verify that this wasn't just an off-day I phoned the centre to check one of the teacher's suitability- I was told in no uncertain terms that this person was not a good teacher and would certainly not be recommended for a teaching position...I was reassured that the test had done its job but amazed that the said prof had lasted so long in her previous position if she had been so awful. Et voil�, good luck in Paris. Rolling Eyes
JimJam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in Wall Street Paris but I've noticed that they seem to always be advertising for staff.

Is there a problem there or is it just a huge school with constant demand for teachers.
hHold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do apply for a job there, try to work for Wall Street Pro which is the Business English sextion of WSt. I know the DOS there and she's sound. Also you're better paid even though you won't get a fixed salary but an hourly wage. Be prepared to travel around Paris a lot.
acrainbow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this topic.

Speaking of Wall Street (and other big institutes), how much harder is it to get a job at their franchises in smaller towns around France? I've noticed Wall Street has institutes all over the place, but everyone on here has only really mentioned Paris.

Thanks!
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 300 language schools in Paris and several private universities for those with a post-graduate degree, so if you have qualifications, perhaps Wall Street Institute should only be a last resort.
cruiser1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall Street Paris pay 1500 euros gross per month to teachers and 1900 euros gross per month to centre managers because I interviewed with them a few months ago. I checked rent in Paris and it's about 500 euros a month for a room. Then tax on 1500 euros is about 400 euros so you will be left with about 600 euros a month in your pocket for doing 30 hours a week.

It's impossible to live on that I would think. They should pay at least 2000 euros a month for 30 hours work. I wouldn't work for them. I think you can get 25 euro per hour in Paris but it's freelance work. Even 20 hours a week is 500 euros which is much more that Wall Street pay.

It's slave labour! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: