Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's all relative....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the water is on a household level not a system wide level. The water leaves the treatment plant drinkable--but in most parts of the country, households store it. For example, I only have water coming in from the city on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 8 to 9 am. So I have both a roof top tank (tinaco) and a underground tank (sisterna). The sisterna stores 7,500 liters of water. That gets pumped up to the 750 liter tinaco on the roof which provides water pressure to my taps. Now we keep those both closed but nature has ways of getting inside, I've never opened it up and gone--mmm, mmm give me a glass of that! We clean the sistern about three times a year, but it's a pain, because that means we have to empty it, which then means it has to be refilled, either by those three house of city water that come in a week, or we have to order a tanker of water (We can get tankers of 2,500, 5,000 or 10,000 liters). OR if we get really lucky and wash it the day before a big rain, we can fill it with our rain water catchment system.
If any of you want to come and drink some of my tap water--you're welcome, either before or after taking a peek inside the sisterna.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
The problem with the water is on a household level not a system wide level. The water leaves the treatment plant drinkable--but in most parts of the country, households store it. For example, I only have water coming in from the city on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 8 to 9 am. So I have both a roof top tank (tinaco) and a underground tank (sisterna). The sisterna stores 7,500 liters of water. That gets pumped up to the 750 liter tinaco on the roof which provides water pressure to my taps. Now we keep those both closed but nature has ways of getting inside, I've never opened it up and gone--mmm, mmm give me a glass of that! We clean the sistern about three times a year, but it's a pain, because that means we have to empty it, which then means it has to be refilled, either by those three house of city water that come in a week, or we have to order a tanker of water (We can get tankers of 2,500, 5,000 or 10,000 liters). OR if we get really lucky and wash it the day before a big rain, we can fill it with our rain water catchment system.
If any of you want to come and drink some of my tap water--you're welcome, either before or after taking a peek inside the sisterna.

Thanks for an informative post. Also, there are localized leaks and contamination of the potable water system which can cause the water which come from your hosehold tap to be undrinkable without treatment/purification.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who live in apartments should ask their building manager to let them peak into the buildings tanks before deciding whether or not to take a drink.

Microbes and Chemicals aside--the water is just plain dirty--and I'm not drinking it.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Also, there are localized leaks and contamination of the potable water system which can cause the water which come from your hosehold tap to be undrinkable without treatment/purification.

That's what I've heard about the water system in Mexico City. The water is purified, but the system is old and leaks and breaches in the pipes make the water not really fit to drink. That said, I use water straight from the tap to brush my teeth and for cooking and making a nice cup of tea in the morning.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Also, there are localized leaks and contamination of the potable water system which can cause the water which come from your hosehold tap to be undrinkable without treatment/purification.

That's what I've heard about the water system in Mexico City. The water is purified, but the system is old and leaks and breaches in the pipes make the water not really fit to drink. That said, I use water straight from the tap to brush my teeth and for cooking and making a nice cup of tea in the morning.

I will also do the same, but I drink bottled water.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

I will also do the same, but I drink bottled water.

Me too.
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We�re located at one of the places where the water enters the city, so our tap water hasn�t traveled extensively through the system yet when it reaches us. We have one direct tap in the kitchen, of water that comes in directly without passing through the tinaco. It seems to be clean�but sometimes it�s �too clean� by which I mean that it has so much chlorine added that you can smell it. Hence we use bottled water for drinking and cooking. Mac and cheese and chlorine isn�t very appetizing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: