Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving message: SABIS University, Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrian Evitts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Leaving message: SABIS University, Erbil, Iraqi Kurdistan Reply with quote

Teaching at SABIS University in Erbil has been the greatest pleasure and privilege of my life; it has also been the hardest job that I have ever done.

Teaching here has been the greatest pleasure because I have been privileged to command the trust of many of the people of Iraqi Kurdistan � be they Kurds or Arabs, Muslims or Christians, or others. This is a very broken culture in need of healing, and the existing educational system reflects that fact; but it is also a very rich culture blessed with great diversity of its peoples and traditions, and the hospitality extended to me as a teacher has been more generous than any I have ever previously known. The people of Iraqi Kurdistan deserve the best. If all of us � woman and man; student and teacher; master and servant; big and small - show enough skill, dedication and humility � we can have the best here.

Teaching here has been the hardest work because a commitment to true excellence in university education is a relatively new idea in Iraqi Kurdistan. There are many problems � cultural and organisational, as well as educational. There is always room for improvement in any human endeavour. If all of us � woman and man; student and teacher; master and servant; big and small - show enough skill, dedication and humility � we can have the best here.

I wish SABIS University and Iraqi Kurdistan well.

[And just so you know that I am real - warts and all - you can check out http://youtu.be/YTfdSVJojKc ]
babur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: SABIS INC. Reply with quote

ADVERTISEMENT
Quote:
Teaching at SABIS University in Erbil has been the greatest pleasure and privilege of my life; it has also been the hardest job that I have ever done.

Teaching here has been the greatest pleasure because I have been privileged to command the trust of many of the people of Iraqi Kurdistan � be they Kurds or Arabs, Muslims or Christians, or others. This is a very broken culture in need of healing, and the existing educational system reflects that fact; but it is also a very rich culture blessed with great diversity of its peoples and traditions, and the hospitality extended to me as a teacher has been more generous than any I have ever previously known. The people of Iraqi Kurdistan deserve the best. If all of us � woman and man; student and teacher; master and servant; big and small - show enough skill, dedication and humility � we can have the best here.

Teaching here has been the hardest work because a commitment to true excellence in university education is a relatively new idea in Iraqi Kurdistan. There are many problems � cultural and organisational, as well as educational. There is always room for improvement in any human endeavour. If all of us � woman and man; student and teacher; master and servant; big and small - show enough skill, dedication and humility � we can have the best here.

I wish SABIS University and Iraqi Kurdistan well.

SPONSORED BY SABIS INC
The author is either employed by SABIS or extremely gullible. SABIS are widely regarded as being a cult. Their teacher training can best be described as indoctrination. SABIS puppets (teachers) are forced to dance to the music or leave the stage. "sabis stinks" a website set up by former teachers, was taken down. SABIS is an "organisation" not an educational institution.
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by that video I'd say they were more than good friends!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a commitment to true excellence in university education

In all my years here and in the Middle East, it is the first time I have ever heard a phrase like that in a post related to Sabis. Laughing

But, the sentence around it does seem to carefully not actually claim that Sabis is delivering such a thing.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SABIS has a poor reputation
DedicatedTeacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could get real nasty here, but I will withhold. If it sounds overly positive about SABIS it is probably propaganda. SABIS will promote people for writing stuff like this. That is all I will say.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the OP only made one post.... And that was to post a glowing account of SABIS accompanied by a YouTube video praising the place.

Definitely an advertisement.
safarer30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: dealing with a convicted pedophile Reply with quote

Sabis Erbil is a bit busy these days: http://www.ekurd.net/mismas/articles/misc2012/11/state6616.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: