Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS SCAMS: READ THIS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest addition to the list of scammers:

http://furahilanguageschools.tk

Supposedly offering a start date in February with what seems to be reasonable pay and benefits.

Note the usual .tk address.

VS
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this job advert:
http://www.tefl.net/esl-jobs/esl-jobs.pl/read/14730

posted by [email protected] might be part of this scam?

I received an email from one

"Dr. Rahman Hassan [Director, Dept. of Education Activities]
UNDER THE CONTROL OF SHARJAH EDUCATIONAL ZONE-LABOUR OFFICE"

after (unfortunately?) replying to the ad.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a SCAM

Notice how unrealistic it is... extremely high salary... but no credentials required other than being alive and applying. Rolling Eyes That salary would require an MA and 3+ years of experience. There is no pension for expats. There is no such thing as a "feeding allowance." The provided furnishings list is very bizarre too. It has the weekend being Friday, Saturday AND Sunday!! Completely ridiculous...

The Salary & Benefits will be as follows:
* Salary is $4750USD per month(Tax Free).
* Overtime pay is $50USD/an hour.
* Weekly Feeding Allowance is $250USD.
* Severance Pay equal to 1 month�s salary (on completion of contract).
* 30 days Paid Vacation per year.
* Free Round trip economy class ticket will be provided for you and your family members.
* 100% Pension will be provided.
* 100% Medical Insurance will be provided.
* Free 2bed room private Apartment(Rent-free and furnished) will be provided within the school premises.
Furniture: Curtains, bed, bedding, sheets, desk, closet, table, dining set, VCR, TV, washing machine, clothes rack, pots,pans, dishes, cutlery, phone, fridge, stove, fan or AC, and a working heating system etc.

The Job Details are as follows:
* Teaching English to Age groups ranging from elementary to middle school students (30~40 students/a class).
* 12 months contract(Renewable).
* Working days : Monday and ends on Thursday.
* Working Hours: 6 hours Daily [9:00am to 3:00pm] 12pm-1pm Break Time.
* Employee will receive 1 month paid vacation on top of the already stipulated holidays (Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday including Ramadan and all National Holidays).

To apply you MUST meet the following requirements:
* All Nationalities are Accepted.
* Positive outlook with a strong desire to work.
* Ability to interact comfortably & effectively.
* MUST be Honest and obedient person.

Interested applicants should submit his/her CV/Resume,recent photo and International passport copy through email: ***@sezlabor.tk
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS.

And very embarrassing Embarassed to think that I fell for it.

Despite two years teaching experience in Korea, I don't have much experience actually applying for jobs, and definitely not in the ME... but I am learning - fast Sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to be embarrassed unless you didn't pause and check things. I always wonder how many people send them the money. You will probably continue to receive emails from them.

VS
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ VS

No money changed hands, but I naively (read: stupidly) sent of my CV and copy of passport details page. Oh well.

I sent you a PM with two questions about working in the KSA. My questions are not directly related to the 'scams' topic.

Hope you don't mind.

Regards,
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
You will probably continue to receive emails from them.

VS

Eight emails (at the last count), and in less than 12 hours. This could have been funny, well some of it anyway, if it wasn't so ... disgusting? embarrassing?

Apparently I already have a job (no interview) and my visa is "being arranged" somewhere... at another .tk address. I haven't opened any attachments, so I don't know whether I've been requested to pay them yet.

The person sending the current batch of emails calls himself "Sir Hassan Majid - Principal". Don't know whether to laugh or to cry about the "Sir" bit. Greedy, dishonest + an obsession with British titles?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliceinwonderland wrote:
The person sending the current batch of emails calls himself "Sir Hassan Majid - Principal". Don't know whether to laugh or to cry about the "Sir" bit. Greedy, dishonest + an obsession with British titles?

These things only get funnier. Laughing

VS
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

These things only get funnier. Laughing
VS

Breaking news Very Happy

Not only did I manage to get a job without an interview, I can also take 5 (yes, FIVE) family members with me.
As I understood it from "Sir's" correspondence, the airline tickets are basically ready and waiting to be collected somewhere.
I'm sure it's just the small matter of my payment for this fantastic opportunity that now remains to be settled....
Laughing
yeobo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the scam continues:

A few days ago I replied to an ad on the Global TESOL Job Board. I thought it was strange they asked for passport number in the ad, but I decided to apply anyway just to see where it would go. Fortunately, I had enough forethought (suspicion) to omit my passport info from my application.

I received replies coming from various email addresses, all different from the one I responded to in the ad. One email address, [email protected], I found this morning in this thread, also coming from Dr. Rahman Hassan of the Sharjah Educational Zone.

Furthermore, I've just received an offer of employment, but I haven't had an interview with the school or recruiter. The offer of employment is consistent with the one discussed in this thread.

The company has not asked for any money, yet, but I suspect that would be the next step if I am to reply to their offer. They have already included a fake government email for me to contact in order to apply for a work permit ([email protected]). I have decided to cease communication with the company, before they ask for money or sensitive information or documents.

I hope by posting my experience I can prevent others from potentially getting scammed.

The name of the school is Khalifa Language School, located at 175 Naif Road, Deira, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

If anyone has information about this school, whether or not it actually exists please let us know. I'd hate to falsely accuse a place, but it reeks of a scam to me.

Also, the original job ad was posted by:
Alima Hamsa
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0097146443064

Btw, thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Smile
aliceinwonderland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still receiving emails from sezlabor.tk - despite the fact that I didn't respond to a single mail they sent me after my initial enquiry almost two months ago.

What a pity one must learn about your own and others' stupidity in such a manner.

Like yeobo above I hope this thread helps others.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliceinwonderland wrote:
I am still receiving emails from sezlabor.tk - despite the fact that I didn't respond to a single mail they sent me after my initial enquiry almost two months.

A good reason to have a dummy email address just for basic job inquiries.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a new technique. They are fishing for people through LinkedIn. This has shown up on the Qatar board. So, beware.

VS
Wolfsong

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two scammers I've come across very recently are these:

Cambridge International School UAE. There is such a school but their email is different from the scammers. They list their website as www.simpwayttllc.com which is totally different from the actual school.

You get offered the job without an interview and with unrealistic pay and conditions. They introduce themselves bu saying they have seen your details on another website. You are then instructed to send your CV, a few days later they congratulate you on being offered the job along with instructions on where to send the huge amount of money to their travel agent for the work visa.

This is the address they use to send the money to

ATTN: WALTER SAMUEL

IMMIGRATION LAWYER

SIMPLE WAY TRAVEL AND TOURS LLC

Office # 3, Fairoz Building,

Near Al Makhtoom Hospital.

Deira, Dubai.

TELL: +971 5 265 72381

EMAIL: [email protected]

You are also told there is a mandatory "training course":

"Also remember that any expense you make for the processing of your UAE Residence/Work Permit Papers shall be refunded back to you immediately you submit your expenses report/receipt to us via Email.

Meanwhile, there will be a Mandatory Orientation/Training Exercise for all Newly Employed Staff which will take place within the Premises of Cambridge International School- UAE, and this Program

will start 7 days on arrival for work sign-on. Should you require more information, please feel free to contact us immediately.

Congratulations on your successful emergence!

Mr Franklin Johannes

Cambridge Int' School UAE

UNITED ARAB EMIRATE CITY

P.O. Box 63404, Dubai, UAE

Shk. Sultan Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan Building

Telephone: +971523726177"

The second one claims to be recruiting for Al Jazeera Academy, KSA and uses this email address: [email protected]

Again, no interview, unrealistic pay and conditions, hefty "visa costs" etc. Checking on the Al Jazeera Academy site I could not find a page in English.

Both of the above scammers will even phone you on your land or cell phone to make it seem more authentic.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT: Split here from an unrelated thread.

Max10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 am
Another scam going on is for Amity International in UAE. After the initial contact-so unbelievably frickin' funny-You'll get the moon I tell you. The moon!, they'll direct you to:
FAST TRAVELS JLT
Dubai Head Office Suite 302, HDS Tower,
Cluster F, Jumeirah Lakes Towers,
P.O Box 113096, Dubai, UAE
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.fastserviceae.com
+971 52 377 5486
This how they try to get money from you (process visa).
Creation Date: 2017-05-10T14:55:04Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-05-10T14:55:04Z

Registrant Name: maxwell john
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 123 umulle rd
Registrant City: benin
Registrant State/Province: edo
Registrant Postal Code: 234
Registrant Country: NG
Registrant Phone: +234.8056888561
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]

I don't want to post it with a title because they will simple try it a different way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: