Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Uni English Literature and Language degree. Any hassle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimi1999uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Open Uni English Literature and Language degree. Any hassle? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm a newly CertTESOL qualified teacher and (hopefully) about two months from finishing my ONLINE degree in English Literature and Language. A double major of Lit and Linguistics. I'm a 30 year old UK citizen.

I've had a quick gander at a few jobs in Indonesia and I've come across

Due to government regulations, we require a Bachelors degree in English, Education in English, Linguistics in English, or TESOL/TEFL (Online/Distance Learning degrees are not accepted).

Do you think the online nature of my degree will cause me any hassle? The OU must be one of the most obvious online (although reputable) suppliers out there.

I've tried to do some google hunting myself for the actual regulations but to no avail. Thanks all Smile
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the "No Online Degree" rule only applies if you majored in TESOL. If your TESOL Certification was not online you should be fine. They just want to make sure you have a real certificate with observed classroom teaching, etc.
jimi1999uk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't make out what this particular ad was looking for.

It seemed it was talking about degrees though, rather than the certificates.

I don't know though. More job hunting and looking will ensue methinks Smile

Thanks for advice.
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi - contact the school concerned and ask them for clarification. If they can't give you a definitive answer, then no-one on here can; if you read some of the other posts on this forum you'll see that there are simply too many variables at play.
jimi1999uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true. Thanks Smile
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say that it's true that the government will no longer accept degrees that were acquired online, such as Open University. It's the 207th latest restriction they've added in terms of making life difficult for ESL schools in Indonesia.

I can also say that it doesn't matter for those schools not following the regulations anyways and just paying the 'extra fee' so they can bring on just about anyone they want. Some (very few) schools are sticking to the rules and not paying the extra fee but most will just go ahead and do it so they can the teachers they need.

I would bet you could get a job here if you just shop yourself around. In fact I would just about guarantee it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: