Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL experianced. No EFL. Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: ESL experianced. No EFL. Help Reply with quote

Hello. I have a graduate school acquired state educational teachers license in ESL from an accredited US university. I have taught year round for the last seven years. Here's the problem: I want to teach EFL in a foreign country. 95% of all my students during the years already spoke English. Mexican children learn English in a few months. It's phenomenal! They first come to me after a year of kindergarden and they're saying "Awesome! Cool deal! No way!" They understand when I speak and in many cases make better grades than American kids.
So my experiance isnt much difference than an elementary school teacher of American students. My ESL graduate school classes were mostly theory.

How can I take a TEFL program in my city in the US?
or
It's possible if I got the text, I could teach myself given my three language background and several college degrees. Can someone recommend a correspondance course or a book or two which are commonly recognized/used by Latin American schools? I'm considering retiring/teaching in South America or Mexico.
I am sixty one years old (where did the time go
I think I heard about a TEFL online course for $300.
Thanks for your advice in advance.
cgage
BTW, I've written an esl textbook that uses children's songs to learn grammar and addresses common mistakes that kids make in the US.
It will have words, piano score, guitar chords and a cd. I'm using it in my classroom and it really works! If I ever get it published (costs me $$$$) and marketed, I'll give Daves' members a discount. I'll make a full post on this project.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ESL experiEnced. No EFL. Help Reply with quote

It's not just Mexican children, it's children in general.

To take a TEFL programme in the US, look at universities and colleges.

There are heaps of distance MA TEFLs out there.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get additional training, of course you can, but I don't really see why you think it's necessary.
Sure learning English in an environment where it is not widely used is much harder than learning it in an immersion situation (like the kids you've already taught.) But the ideas about how it's learned are still the same.

Now, if you want to teach adults, you might want some practical training on that aspect, as classroom management and activities are different--you if your a good learner, you can learn that by observation and/or reading.
Employers will want to see you are qualified and will happily accept your exsisting ESL license.

Pop into the general discussion forum there was a fairly recent thread on Best TEFL books.

Oh and good luck with getting your book published, I think if you look around you'll find there are already several similar books on the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: