Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SA v. other ME for add'l income opportunities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: SA v. other ME for add'l income opportunities Reply with quote

I know someone who is making a lot of extra money outside the school teaching/etc.

Its my understanding that the most opportunities for private teaching, etc. is in Saudi Arabia. However, I just want to get others opinions. If one wants to make extra money doing whatever (private instruction, etc.) are all the major countries with teachers (SA, Bahrain, Oman, UAE, etc.) the same or is one of them the best?

Thanks in advance.
helenl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar and UAE are probably more lucrative, simply because there's more $$. However, be very aware it is illegal to take on private students WITHOUT your sponsor's permission - and most contracts specifically state you are not allowed to work for anyone else.

Do people do it? Sure. Is it likely you'd be caught? Probably not - but it only takes one disgruntled customer or colleague to dob you in and then you're out of luck.
posh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach adults and they are forever asking me to teach their kids. I never do. But most work in KSA is teaching teenagers and the chances of them asking for extra lessons are non-existent. When most of them have to be paid to attend classes, they're not likely to spend that money on further education. Very Happy

Every now and then I see an advert looking for a private teacher or an Indian offering any manner of lessons. I wouldn't bank on it being a regular source of income.
sirius black

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers. So, in KSA adults regularly ask then? What is the typical rate per hour if one were to take the job.

Also, is this typical in other countries in the ME?
cmp45

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to teaching private lessons to ME adult and Saudis in particular, it seems they have unrealistic expectations as to what they hope to achieve by taking private lessons. In my brief experience teaching one to one private lessons is that most are not very reliable and do not bother to show up or bother to call to cancel, or they come late...also they seem not to be keen with any structured lessons, perhaps it reminds them too much of their school days Rolling Eyes but rather prefer to practice their conversation informally. Sometimes I wonder, if they think they will learn English by just sitting in the same room as an English speaker without having to say a word Laughing They like the idea of learning, but are not so willing to put in the effort...at least this was my experience...you could spend lots of time preparing for a lesson and then they do not bother to show up...or you waste time waiting for them to show up... I gave it up and now just teach overtime at the university where I work. They often offer extra evening courses or external contracts at the university. At least that way you are more likely to get paid and do not have to bother with all the nonsense of negoiating fees and recruiting students. The university does all that. You just show up and teach them.
If you are gung-ho on private lessons...you most likely will end up negoiating a price on a case by case basis...but the cheaper you go the less reliable they may be...but if you charge higher fees, you better be doing a few back flips for them to warrent the high fees... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: