Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about UDEP/Piura

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixiepixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Questions about UDEP/Piura Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've finally joined the forum after reading posts for months!

This post is for anyone that has lived/lives in Piura and has knowledge of the University of Piura (Naturegirl!). I've read a lot of the previous posts but have a few more questions:

I wanted to know more about what it is like to live in Piura and work at the University of Piura? Did you have a good experience there? What is the department like? They say the pay is $700 a month - is this enough to live on? I'm not much of a spender - it'd mainly go towards food/accom and whatever is left over will be a bonus for me to do other things. Do you know how much holiday time they give for Christmas/Easter?

What is Piura like as a city? Do/Did you feel safe going around by yourself in the day? I understand that you have to have your wits about you regardless, but generally speaking, is it a safe place? Is there a lot to do (e.g. dance schools - I love to dance)? Is it easy to find fully furnished accommodation? And finally, what is the transport system like in Piura? I've only ever been to Lima and their transport system is crazy!

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Pixie Smile
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm here. Ok, here's the small issue I have: I worked there from Aug 2004 to July 2006 and the pay was $700 a month, the exchange rate was also a lot better, meaning I was making more than you're going to make 6 years later. And cost of living is going up. Dollars dno't matter, ask them how much you'll make in soles.

I enjoyed my work there, the peopel were very nice as were the students. Piura is a small town, but the fifth biggest in Peru. It's a big gossipy, so be careful!

UDEP is Opus Dei, so very strict as far as religion goes. That means you better not be living with a boy or girlfriend. Nor can you live with your spouse unless you're married in the church, but that's another story

700 a month should be enough to live on. You'll share a house. They've used the same for years. It's for English teachers and grad students. I lived there by myself though. Holiday time, I think I got a couple weeks, I negotiated my second year.

Piura is safe, not Asia safe, but Latin America safe.

As for stuff to do, they have a small shopping centre, lots of discos, don't know about dance schools.

how long were you in Lima for? Transport in Piura is motos and motorcycles, pretty cheap. Never took combis in Piura.

Oh, you'll work a split shift. Any more questions, just let me nkow.
pixiepixie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! All that info was really helpful!

I've been to Lima on three separate occasions in the last three years and have stayed for about 1.5-2 months each time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: