Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Early to start looking for work in July/August/Sept?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Too Early to start looking for work in July/August/Sept? Reply with quote

This is kind of a general question about when I should start sending in my CV/Resumes to different schools. This is the first time since I've graduated that I've tried to find a job overseas without the help of an agency, so I'm still figuring out how things work.

I know that language centers usually hire year around, but most of the ads I've seen posted have all been for April, May, or June start dates. My current contract doesn't end until the end of May and I was planning on taking the month of June off for bit of a break.

I've sent my CV to a few schools/language centers, but once they heard I'm not looking for work until July at the earliest they said they will keep my application on file and contact me if they have openings later. Like I said, I'm a bit new at all this, should I wait for them to contact me, or should I resend my application in April/May?

Thanks in advance for the help.
chezal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are applying for national plus schools I would say you are in the right time frame. They always seem to be a bit late starting and look from around now until May (sometimes right up to the new school year). Whereas lots of international schools have already hired.

For language schools it can vary from school to school.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I see. Right now I'm just looking for anything that will pay a decent amount and help me get my foot in the door of teaching in Indonesia. Thanks for the help.
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any school that is worth its grits will be planning ahead and July/August is not really that far away. It's true that generally there is not much a school do at this point except to interview you, offer you the job and collect your paperwork, but they couldn't actually start to process you officially with the government until you are within a few months of your actual start date.

I think the challenge that many schools have is that they don't know for sure how many openings they will have as many teachers wait until the last minute to tell a school if they will renew their contract or move on.

I wouldn't take it too hard if you don't get an interview and offer straight away, I don't think it hurts to ask around now and then follow up with schools over the next month or two. Be persistent without being annoying (i.e. don't write to schools with exclamation points and bolded words asking why they aren't responding).

Good luck with the hunt!
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More good advice. Thanks a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: