Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adveti
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umzakaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Adveti Reply with quote

Hi there, can anyone who works/worked at Adveti tell me about the materials used for teaching English? What are the contact teaching hours?Are there any student behaviour issues? Do you end up taking work home each day?
Thanks in advance
Geronimo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello umzakaria,

As you may know there are a consiiderable number of Adveti colleges and many of them operate over several different sites with significantly different vocational training programmes. There will be some important variations across these campuses. Could you be more specific? Location of college? Level of learner?

That point noted, as far as I'm aware, the majority of English teachers in Adveti colleges are currently using "Cutting Edge" and "Focus On IELTS" along with several other texts, such as "IELTS Express" amd "Target 4.5". And there is a plan afoot to introduce coursebooks produced in-house in the next academic year for learners at the lower levels.

The total of contact hours will vary, of course. The average figure is around 25 per week during the teaching blocks.

"Are there any student behaviour issues?" Yes, of course! These issues vary from group to group. I don't suppose that they are much worse than in most other colleges in the region.

Does that help?

Geronimo
umzakaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Adveti Reply with quote

Thanks,
the information is really useful. I have an interview coming up shortly.Any info that will help me with that aspect would be greatly appreciated!
Regards
Umzakaria
goodooga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be working for Kaplan? They are a bunch of disorganized ne'er do wells. Until November 2010 English language teachers of foundation students, at Veti Abu Dhabi, were receiving between dhs30 000 to dhs36 000 per month. Accommodation was provided free of charge. Kaplan's deal?
umzakaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I haven't had the interview yet, the recruiter (Phoenix so I don't know whether it is ultimtely with Kaplan) has rescheduled it for the end of April. It would be a great foot in the door for me and give me the post MA experience I need.
Badar Bin Bada Boom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Language school teachers earning $8000 to $10,000 a month? Give me a break.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their dreams... Laughing

Whoever told you that, goodooga, was pure and simple lying... it would have been a third of those numbers... at best.

VS
goodooga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Well, I disagree. Reply with quote

Please don't call me a dreamer or liar. I worked there until January 2011. I earned dhs 30 000 a month. This was decreased to dhs 12 000 when Kaplan came along. Teachers employed earlier than me were on dhs 36 000. The joy of being part of a newly set up school. Once Tafe NSW finished its contractual obligations, IAT moved in and down went the conditions. There are very few 'pioneers' left there now. Go and look for yourself. Oh, it's no longer Veti. Each institute has its own name.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... you claim some vocational school in Abu Dhabi was paying a salary of $100,000 to $120,000 a year?

I would buy that it was the full compensation package including housing allowance, settling in allowance, tickets, medical and probably educational allowances for the kiddies.

But no way that was just salary...

VS
goodooga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outof the monthly salary you paid school fees and airfares. Singles received the same pay as married with kids. It was an advantage to be single. Accommodation was free. There wasn't a housing allowance. The duplexes were furnished when I arrived. This was changed to a dhs20 000 furniture allowance for new arrivals. You need to settle down and not be so disbelieving. I know you are not planning to come back to the ME, so calm down. In any case, the good ole days of adveti are long past. You could ring the school, though and ask to talk to a 'pioneer'. I think there is one left, working on an altered contract.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Good Old days Reply with quote

Yes, the good old days of 2010 are gone. Then you could get contracts with 20,000 AED for settling in and $8,000 a month, and not just at Veti.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From whom? Considering the number of UAE teachers I have known over the years.. I have never known any TEFL teacher making $8000 a month... nor of any employer... public, private or military.

Nor have they been mentioned here... nor has there been any ads...

VS
goodooga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be sad, VS, not To have all the information all of the time. If you had been in AD in December 2007 I could have hooked you up with a job in Veti. Do you want to see my contract? (not that it was worth the paper it was written on once Kaplan came along).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly important enough to reach the level of "sad," but certainly suspicious...

VS
goodooga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

me?

Last edited by goodooga on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: