Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

obtaining visa with a previous criminal record

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spm5889

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: obtaining visa with a previous criminal record Reply with quote

I am seriously considering teaching english abroad in latin america, but before I take my research any further, I have a question regarding a potential roadblock. I have a a marijuana possession charge from a couple years ago that I cannot get expunged since I have already expunged an arrest from 4 years ago. This charge has prevented me from pursuing the original place I wanted to teach (south korea) since they are very strict on granting visas to anyone with any sort of drug related charges. Does anyone know if the same situation could happen with attempting to obtain a visa in a latin american country? I have no idea how strict places are with criminal background checks/drug related charges. Thanks for any guidance anyone could provide with this!!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in Peru you have to get fingerprinted and get your teeth checked at Interpol. Though many peopel teach in Peru on a tourist visa.
Hasan84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm living in Bolivia at the monent and I know people who have marijuana convictions Wink but got the year residency visa without a problem. As naturegirl said, you have to go to interpol and they do fingerprint and other checks... basically, as long as you're not wanted internationally for anything you should be ok. I think they're more interested in serious offences, but this is just Bolivia I'm talking about. I'm going to Colombia in a month and will let you know what I find out there.
Swing59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if you don't have any unresolved legal issues it probably won't be a problem. The visa issue in Ecuador is difficult for different reasons, but when I was there several years ago I'm not sure that they did a criminal check.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecuador do a criminal background check for work visas, and you would be refused on that basis, but I am not sure if they do for cultural exchange visas (which the bigger language schools use now).
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico doesn't require a detailed background check for simple visas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: